2018 Norris Trophy - Victor Hedman

sr edler

gold is not reality
Mar 20, 2010
What is it with Örnsköldsvik and producing top talents?

Ö-vik has a population of 33,000 people and they've brought top-end talents of:
- Peter Forsberg
- Henrik Sedin
- Daniel Sedin
- Victor Hedman
- Markus Näslund

I haven't been to Örnsköldsvik but by looking at pictures of the city, it looks like a pretty boring place. So hockey is probably the major route to escapism there.

Reactions: teravaineSAROS

Sensung

Oct 3, 2017
Congrats to Victor on his fantastic season and this well deserved award.

Hockey4Life91

Mar 13, 2018
Hedman easily is the best defensemen in the game when you weigh both offense and defense. His size and reach make him extremely hard to play against in the defensive zone. And his skating ability (which simply is not fair for a man his size) and vision make him great at rushing the puck through the neutral zone. He indeed is close to his peak, but incredibly I think he can slightly improve if he learns to hit the net more often and throws the body when necessary (he pretty much doesn’t hit anymore, ala Lidstrom, likely because of the concussion issues he suffered early on in his career - but a hit or two against Washington would have been nice).

Ultimately, Hedman’s game will age very well like his Swedish idol. I think it is a near certainty that he will be the top all around defensemen in the league for the next 5 years or so. Tampa is extremely fortunate to have him.

VH over JT always and forever.

Last edited:
Reactions: teravaineSAROS

stl76

No. 5 in your programs, No. 1 in your hearts
Jul 2, 2015
Good for Hedman, clearly the most deserving of the nominees IMO (tho Doughty wasn't too far behind).

Sureves

Sep 29, 2008
Ottawa
lol I vaguely remember you starting a thread this time last year about Karlsson not winning, and here you are again. Karlsson didn't deserve this at all this year, get over it. And he wasn't even close!

Obviously he didn't deserve it. This thread, and my post, has nothing to do with Karlsson.

Beebop22

May 4, 2017
What an embarrassing list. This is why these stat geeks can’t be taken seriously. Giordano, Hamilton and Manson voted in the top 5 over Doughty and Subban.

I think next season they replace this dude with Charlie Conway. Charlie "Cake Eater" Conway would never vote this terribly. Plus we may see Goldberg finally get his first ever Vezina nomination.(well past due as we can all agree)

Beebop22

May 4, 2017
I think next season they replace this dude with Charlie Conway. Charlie "Cake Eater" Conway would never vote this terribly. Plus we may see Goldberg finally get his first ever Vezina nomination.(well past due as we can all agree)
Breaking news: The Mark Messier Leadership Award has now been renamed to the Charlie Conway Leadership Award. Messier was more than thrilled to hand it over to a true Ambassador of the sport. Messier was quoted as saying "Conway is the definition of leadership. His passion for the game is contagious. He also perfected the triple deke. He is the only one we have ever seen pull off this move"

joe dirte

Sep 28, 2017
Wouldn't have argued if doughty won, but I like to see hedman get one. He's a beast.

Healthy DiPietro

Jan 4, 2014
what a joke, he was awful in the Capitals series.......

Then again, you're the same jealous Danish guy who said Lars Eller is better than Bäckström, so you don't have much credibilty. Go watch futbal instead, or whatever you guys are actually good at.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
He won the award by November. I actually don't mind him winning because it was deserved, but he dominated the voting: it wasn't close, just as I knew it wouldn't be.

The voting for this award is a joke.

No he didn't. 1385 to 1164 is decently close and he was first on only 57% of the ballots. It was basically the same spread that happened the last two years

Last edited:

Sureves

Sep 29, 2008
Ottawa
No he didn't. 1385 to 1164 is decently close and he was first on only 57% of the ballots. It was basically the same spread that happened the last two years

Burns dominated the voting too, as did Doughty. Look at the first place votes, you can clearly see it.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
He was really good for most of the year. Really turned it up points wise after the deadline. I think he will be a monster this year too. Especially if we find another top 4 RHD.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad