Post-Game Talk: 2018 NHL Entry Draft

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
Bruins went with speed and skill this draft. Excited to learn more about these prospects. Any confirmation who is attending camp next week?

Well according to Bradley, Lauko will be there:

Bruins pick Jakub Lauko: ‘I am one of the biggest steals in the draft’ - The Boston Globe

“Fast. Energy. Plays with a lot of character,” Bradley said. “Can really shoot the puck . . . Hopefully he turns some heads next week.

One of five picks the Black and Gold made to close the draft (and behind second-round defenseman Axel Andersson, 57th overall), Lauko is expected to attend the club’s development camp, which runs Tuesday through Friday in Brighton. The Prague native will land in town Monday and begin the work of outplaying his draft spot.

missingchicklet

Jan 24, 2010
Couldn't be happier with the Bs' picks given that they lacked a first round pick. No WTF scratch your head picks this year. No drafting guys a couple rounds ahead of where they would have likely gone. No drafting of stiffs. In fact, it was the opposite of all that stuff. After round 2 they took speedy guys who for whatever reason fell further than expected. It's hard to believe Lauko fell as far as he did. It wasn't too long ago there were folks projecting him to be a first rounder. Was hard to post on here during the draft, but I was shocked the Bs passed on him in the second round, but all turned out well since they got him anyway in the third. The later round picks were what I wanted to see from the Bs. Not necessarily the exact players they took, but the types of players. The odds are certainly against late rounders making the NHL, however the Bs at least took guys who are not throwaways and have the tools to make something of themselves given some time. The Bs did as well as they could given their situation.

00BW

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 14, 2012
Framingham, MA
I figured I'd post this for fun to prove how I don't know s**t about drafting. These are the available players I would have taken and in 3 years I'm sure I will much prefer the Bruins list they actually drafted. I already know my list is bad missing Lauko, who I didn't even know was considered by some as the 2nd best skater of the draft.

57) Wise
77) Demin
119) Wylie
181) Kirk
212) Klapka

I just realized, comparing my list to the Bruins, that the last time the Bruins only had 5 picks, they chose 1 Czech forward, 1 Swede defenseman, and at least 2 college kids. That bodes really well for this draft class. :)

neelynugs

Feb 27, 2002
i was disappointed with the andersson pick - more so because i really liked wise/mcbain a lot (the latter more than the former),
and at 57 was surprised that either was still available. andersson has some nice offensive/skating skills, but he seems to have
little clue in his own zone and not sure he can think it that well defensively. i do like that they addressed the right-shot puck
moving spot in the organization, so hopefully he'll progress this year. love lauko. love. think he has more offense to him than
he gets credit for - the skating is fantastic for sure (speed and edges) - but underrated skill. hall i'm pretty meh about - he's a big
body and was good early in the year - seems like a longer track guy going to yale anyway. didn't know anything about mcfaul but
dom seems to like him a lot, so that's good. shen i liked last year, thought he was a late round grab for someone. all in all, maybe
a B-/C+ at first blush, which is never a good idea to grade now anyway. look forward to the first-hand accounts of development
camp next week.

Reactions: Flannelman

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Bottom line is I would NEVER trade my first round pick at the deadline. The value is not worth it.

Reactions: Saxon Eric

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
i was disappointed with the andersson pick - more so because i really liked wise/mcbain a lot (the latter more than the former),
and at 57 was surprised that either was still available. andersson has some nice offensive/skating skills, but he seems to have
little clue in his own zone and not sure he can think it that well defensively. i do like that they addressed the right-shot puck
moving spot in the organization, so hopefully he'll progress this year. love lauko. love. think he has more offense to him than
he gets credit for - the skating is fantastic for sure (speed and edges) - but underrated skill. hall i'm pretty meh about - he's a big
body and was good early in the year - seems like a longer track guy going to yale anyway. didn't know anything about mcfaul but
dom seems to like him a lot, so that's good. shen i liked last year, thought he was a late round grab for someone. all in all, maybe
a B-/C+ at first blush, which is never a good idea to grade now anyway. look forward to the first-hand accounts of development
camp next week.
I had the Draft on this morning and as I walked in the TV room the guys on NHL network were throwing you some love.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
Couldn't be happier with the Bs' picks given that they lacked a first round pick. No WTF scratch your head picks this year. No drafting guys a couple rounds ahead of where they would have likely gone. No drafting of stiffs. In fact, it was the opposite of all that stuff. After round 2 they took speedy guys who for whatever reason fell further than expected. It's hard to believe Lauko fell as far as he did. It wasn't too long ago there were folks projecting him to be a first rounder. Was hard to post on here during the draft, but I was shocked the Bs passed on him in the second round, but all turned out well since they got him anyway in the third. The later round picks were what I wanted to see from the Bs. Not necessarily the exact players they took, but the types of players. The odds are certainly against late rounders making the NHL, however the Bs at least took guys who are not throwaways and have the tools to make something of themselves given some time. The Bs did as well as they could given their situation.

This.

Had the Bruins had their first and picked Lauko there I would have been fine.

Like the upside of Andersson. Like that Hall brings size and a right handed shot. The 6 and 7 whatever, but I think they came up aces even tho they were missing some cards.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
i saw sweeney a few hours after the draft. he came over to our group and had a decent chat.
gave him crap for taking a yale attendee ;)
I’m sure he laughed and he can always trade him like he did with O’Gara.

Hali33

Oct 18, 2013
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Bottom line is I would NEVER trade my first round pick at the deadline. The value is not worth it.

It didn’t work out obviously but I was happy to see Sweeney take the gamble on that team. I’m disappointed to hear him question it.

If you’re happy with your prospect pool and you think your team has a decent shot at a Cup run and a late first is the difference between bringing an asset in that would help or not I hope he’d do it again. I’d feel more regret thinking we were a piece away in a year it was wide open.

Reactions: Chief Nine and DKH

neelynugs

Feb 27, 2002
I’m sure he laughed and he can always trade him like he did with O’Gara.

indeed he did - overall was an interesting discussion. curious to see what goes down this week with schaller -
seems like a lot of teams like him for their bottom 6. i'm not overpaying him in either term or dollars.
prefer to get a faster option there if he leaves.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
indeed he did - overall was an interesting discussion. curious to see what goes down this week with schaller -
seems like a lot of teams like him for their bottom 6. i'm not overpaying him in either term or dollars.
prefer to get a faster option there if he leaves.
I wonder if they bring back Reilly Nash.

Although they like JFK skillet my understanding is he’s not ready and they are concerned a bit with holding up as he’s still developing slowly physically- the concussion he got was a horrific irresponsible cheap shot that really messed him up. He did return though and played well.

October & November important for him to see is he’s ready

Reactions: RussellmaniaKW

Montecristo

Jul 29, 2012
Bruins got 2 1st round graded guys on their board in Anderson and lauko. I like both picks a lot. Massive potential guys. A bjork-lauko-senyshyn line would have some serious wheels

Reactions: Saxon Eric

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad