Post-Game Talk: 2018 NHL Entry Draft

Bruins78

Apr 12, 2007
Hall had 3 goals and an assist in 4 games at the Ivan Hlinka tournament. Would have probably preferred the upside of Phillip Kusharev here (went next pick) but like the size/speed combo on this kid and he is not bereft of skill.

Colorado just grabbed Danila Zhuravlyov in the 5th...that's a heck of a value.

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006
The pick the Bruins gave up for Stafford was used on Declan Chisholm, who I think has a good chance to be a 5-6 defenceman

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014

Interesting, wonder why he didn't come to the draft.

But sounds like he'll be in Boston for development camp :)

Chief Nine

May 31, 2015
I haven’t watched the NHL Network much this year but it’s really nice to see they’ve really elevated the quality of their advertising :laugh:

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
So with their 7th round pick, I want Boston to draft Austin Wong, out of the AJHL. I have never seen him play. It is strictly a pick based off looking at his stats, PIMS, and seeing one highlight clip of him absolutely destroying a poor bastard behind the net during a prospect game. He is a Harvard commit, though, so he'd be watchable.

Reactions: RussellmaniaKW

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
B's take Pavel Shen, soon to be 19 year old who played in the KHL as an 18 year old but scored just 2 points in 29 games.

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
Well no Austin Wong who went to Winnipeg at #215(?), but Boston takes a Russian for the first time since Khokhlachev, and the first Russian playing hockey in Russia since Maxim Chudinov (2010).

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
Good looking draft. First 3 picks look great.

But I've always had plenty of faith in our hockey ops to do a good job in the late rounds and scout them well. Wish they were as good at NHL scouting/trades and having 3 picks in a row in the first but can't have everything.

Zillah

Bleed Black and Gold
Apr 4, 2011
West Kelowna B.C.
218E934B-2880-47C4-961F-9BFE3FC85CA7.jpeg
218E934B-2880-47C4-961F-9BFE3FC85CA7.jpeg
The staff shares your frustration.
Always wear one of these on draft day , free agent frenzy etc . :)

JoeIsAStud

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Seems like the common thread for the bruins was skating. And seems to be a theme in general for a don Sweeney run draft. Anderson is a mobile guy. Hall and lauko both are supposedly tremendous skaters. Don’t know anything about the other 2 but I’m sure they can move as well. Good draft. I give it a solid B+

I think that is overstating Hall a bit. Hall has outside speed, I would guess Anderson is a better skater than Hall. Lauko is on a completely different level, elite skating across the board, speed, change of direction, etc. Lauko is in the argument for best skate in the draft, can become one of the best skaters in the league.

I think Hall skating is more like a Kuraly

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
So with their 7th round pick, I want Boston to draft Austin Wong, out of the AJHL. I have never seen him play. It is strictly a pick based off looking at his stats, PIMS, and seeing one highlight clip of him absolutely destroying a poor bastard behind the net during a prospect game. He is a Harvard commit, though, so he'd be watchable.

I said the same thing today. Would have loved taking him

Reactions: BruinsFanSince94

Krupp

Apr 6, 2012
NHL network guy saying Hamilton was a locker room problem... heard that before.

So, it WASN'T just the mean old nasty Bruins' fault that Dougie wanted out? Heaven forbid :sarcasm:

Far as the draft is concerned though, I liked it. Seemed like a good dose of strong and speedy guys with good skills thrown in. I dunno if I have a grade for the draft or not, but i'm pretty confident in Sweeney getting guys that fit the system in Boston well at this point, so I trust him.

Reactions: Thrive

Thrive

Scoish Velociraptor Maloish
Jan 10, 2009
Massachusetts
The staff shares your frustration.
I tried to “like” this post and it gave me an error message that said “the page could not be found” while still leaving your post visible in the background and staying on the same page.

:facepalm:

Montecristo

Jul 29, 2012
I think that is overstating Hall a bit. Hall has outside speed, I would guess Anderson is a better skater than Hall. Lauko is on a completely different level, elite skating across the board, speed, change of direction, etc. Lauko is in the argument for best skate in the draft, can become one of the best skaters in the league.

I think Hall skating is more like a Kuraly

Is lauko skating on like a kapanen level?

cobrak

Feb 27, 2002
Hockeyland
With the success of Sweeney's drafting and development program I am officially in "you do you" mode for whomever they picked. That being said, the picks all looked like "bruins" with character work ethic and skill. May they have the same success as prior prospects in the organiation

Reactions: sooshii

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad