2018 NHL Entry Draft Thread (Less then 24 Hours Edition)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ozmodiar

Oct 18, 2017
Tony tried to corner Timmins about whether they'd go for the BPA or organizational need.

The answer was a mix -- Timmins said that a player's position is a component of his asset value. We can get the exact wording of the quote when 690 puts up a podcast, but that's the idea that was expressed.

Fast forward to the same time next year ... "I can't believe it. 90% of the players projected to go in the first round are either full time centers or have played the position in the last year." :sarcasm:

It's up.

When TM asked about losing goals in the Galchenyuk trade, and whether it affected Zadina's worth, there was a 5.5 second pause before he answered. That's some significant dead air. Talk about measuring your words! :sarcasm:

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
@Mrb1p What make you drop Wahlstrom?
Other players more than himself. Its the same with Zadina and Hughes. Theyre good, I think theres just better. Im aware that Wahle could make me look like a fool, but im also aware of his short comings when hes not in a position to put the puck in the net, and how he does put the puck in the net. A guy like Kravtsov is a physical beast and drives the play, plays similar to Kuch in a way.

Harry Kakalovich

Sep 26, 2002
Montreal
Last edited:

Jabba11

Hockey Lobby
Nov 28, 2009
hockeylobby.blogspot.com
I really think Brady Tkachuk will be our pick. He checks all the criteria for Bergevin:

- not Russian
- bloodlines
- CHaracter
- Size and skill
- Swag
- Not a center but maybe played once in bantam.

Ironically, I would be very happy with Tkachuk and I wouldn’t find it irrational to try him at Center. For real. He’s a Getzlaf clone if he does play Center.

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
Timmins interview ... it's clear he won't pick Hughes.

Twice, he mentioned valuation is affected based on position. Not surprising. He mentioned they have Zadina ranked on their board as a scoring winger asset (something like that).

He seemed to speak highly of Kotka ... mentioned ACL surgery as a reason there were concerns about his skating. "good kid"

Also spoke highly of Tkachuk, defended his production vs players as old as 24.

Didn't seem to want to say much about Zadina. Loooong pause when asked about him.

He mentioned Dahlin and Svesh when asked about who could play next season. I've heard others include Zadina in this group .... did he omit as a smoke-screen?

Valuation affected by position.

This ties into what I heard him say last year ( apparently I may be the only one). Last year TT said that the Habs were looking at the currency of the NHL in how they approached the draft, and the currency of the NHL was centres and PMDs.

So yeah, goalies , wingers and defensive D men are not as highly valued in the league compared to centres and PMDs.

This team needs centres and PMDs so that's swell. Though I don't like the thinking in a way, that just because everybody else values this we will go along. We should have our own view that makes sense, although MBs vision has been poor. So i guess whatever it
takes to pick the right kind of players.

Anyway, expect centres and PMDs to be prioritized by us.

Reactions: Ozmodiar

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
I really think Brady Tkachuk will be our pick. He checks all the criteria for Bergevin:

- not Russian
- bloodlines
- CHaracter
- Size and skill
- Swag
- Not a center but maybe played once in bantam.

Ironically, I would be very happy with Tkachuk and I wouldn’t find it irrational to try him at Center. For real. He’s a Getzlaf clone if he does play Center.
It’s Kotkaniemi or Tkachuk I’m thinking. I think we’re even more likely to take a D than Zadina.

Hannibal

Fear the Weber
Feb 11, 2007
ACL surgery for Kotkaniemi is scaring me. Especially for a bad skater and a centerman. See Galchenyuk. High risk, high rewards kind of pick. At third? I would be nervous.

Timmins had good thing to say about Tkachuk. Brady compared himself to Jamie Benn type of player. New era powerforward.

Reactions: Runner77

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Perhaps @Runner77 is already planning the PGT? That's my hope anyway. :)

You're way too kind.

I'll chip in any way I can. If I don't start it, I'll try to work on a few memes. I just hope we come out of this with a reason to have celebratory memes and not the other kind. Or at least, without too much damage being inflicted on the franchise. :crossfing

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
ACL surgery for Kotkaniemi is scaring me. Especially for a bad skater and a centerman. See Galchenyuk. High risk, high rewards kind of pick. At third? I would be nervous.

Timmins had good thing to say about Tkachuk. Brady compared himself to Jamie Benn type of player. New era powerforward.

He also said that he wasn't worried about Tkachuk's offensive production. He made a parallel with Poehling last year.

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
Quickly going off-topic, last real day of importance is July 1, so maybe somebody may want to put together a free agent frenzy GDT.

hawkeerox

Jan 2, 2018
1. Dahlin
2. Svechnikov

3. Bouchard
4. Dobson
5. Zadina

6. Kotkaniemi
7. Tkachuk
8. Hughes
9. Kravtsov
10. Wahlstrom

11. Hayton
12. Farabee
13. Kupari
14. Boqvist
15. Veleno
16. Smith

17. McIsaac
18. Lundestrom
19. Sandin
20. Kaut
21. Berggren
22. Alexeyev
23. Denisenko
24. Olofsson

25. Thomas
26. Hallander
27. Bokk
28. Merkley
29. Miller
30. McLeod

HM: Dellandrea, Roman, Wilde

There it is. Hours of watching and arguing in one list. Big values for me are: improvement from one season to the next, skating ability relative to position (multi-directional mobility being key for Cs and Ds IMO), offensive skill, positional need (Habs), season over tournament numbers and performance, exposure (Canadian Junior and SHL/Allsvenskan being the ones I've watched the most), and some consideration for combine and interview news or rumours. Split into six tiers, but the last tier could reach until 40ish. Didn't spend as much time on HF as I did other sites this year, but the Draft Thread here has always been a good one.

Looking forward to the big day!
I like where ya got Veleno - not sure why some have him so much lower!

Saxon

Mar 9, 2015

Kotkaniemi got a reputation for bad skating because at the start of the year he was coming off surgery and was playing in a professional men's league. By the end of the year the injury and the skating weren't an issue..... Why would that scare you. It's quite reassuring to me. His BS bad skating rep comes from recovering from a surgery. And now we know that both aren't a real concern.

Reactions: thefeebster

Hannibal

Fear the Weber
Feb 11, 2007
Kotkaniemi got a reputation for bad skating because at the start of the year he was coming off surgery and was playing in a professional men's league. By the end of the year the injury and the skating weren't an issue..... Why would that scare you. It's quite reassuring to me. His BS bad skating rep comes from recovering from a surgery. And now we know that both aren't a real concern.

Maybe it's just me but at that U18 tournemant in april, is skating was awkward as hell. Can't imagine how bad it was at the start of the year. Must have been atrocious.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad