GDT: 2018 NHL Entry Draft: Round 1 Finished; Rounds 2 -7 Remain - Common Trades!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Judas Tavares

S2S (Sundin2Sandin)
Sponsor
Feb 9, 2007
I just don't get all the hype, and excitement, for the NHL draft. Apart from the 1st round, the rest of the rounds are mostly insignificant when it comes to a team striking gold with a player.

Yes, players drafted in the 1st round are a cut above the rest, however, only around 60% end up being a career NHL player. So, that means 40% of all the 1st round players selected, fail to stick long term in the NHL.

Only 80% of 1st round picks will become a lower tier player, or better. Only 45% of 2nd round picks, and 30% of 3rd round picks will become NHL players of any significance.

We spend a great deal of time discussing players that really never become long term NHL players.

I now see why some NHL execs have the draft smaft attitude. I hate the salary cap, but, it at least has forced NHL teams to focus more on the draft in order to fill out their rosters with cheap secondary players, mostly for the short term.

JMHO.
It's all about new and young hope that doesn't cost an arm and a leg! The player hasn't busted yet and they aren't hurting your cap.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
Top-5 most skilled player in the draft, and most likely the best offensive defenseman to come out of it if everything clicks.

Poor defense, gives up on plays, and bad attitude.
it's not very likely that everything will click for him since his general approach to his game is he doesn't give a f***

Reactions: supermann_98

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
What ever happened to Jared McIsaac? He dropped pretty far in most rankings from earlier on in the season.

I think he doesn't stand out enough compared to other prospects. So he didn't fall because he wasn't good but because other players around showed more. He skates well and can move the puck decently well but not as good as other defenders in the top 60. Probably a mid 2nd rounder.

Mikeyg

Dec 26, 2011
Leafs ain’t picking a dman today, mikeyg is sure of it. Dubby going for a euro splash pick or a faller. Miller/woo ain’t happening fellas.

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
I think he doesn't stand out enough compared to other prospects. So he didn't fall because he wasn't good but because other players around showed more. He skates well and can move the puck decently well but not as good as other defenders in the top 60. Probably a mid 2nd rounder.

Yeah, it's not that he isn't good. He's just overrated:

upload_2018-6-22_9-18-32.png

I am Canadian

AM34|WN88|MM16
May 22, 2008
Toronto
Would be happy if the Leafs trade down and grab Jett Woo and another 2nd or select at 25 and trade up to grab Woo from #52.​

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
The first rounder is its own animal, but I just can't believe once we get to like the 5th round or something.

The thread opens and the first post is like BAD BAD BAD. DUBAS BAD. FIRE HIM. Which is translates to, I didn't see this player in the article I read and hockeydb doesn't look good so he must be bad.

lmao, right?!

Reactions: S2S

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
It’s hilarious that our team flushes 1st round pick down the toilet? Are you a Hab fan?

Just because you don't like the guy, doesn't mean other people aren't allowed to. It's going to be funny just to see someone like you react.

You see issues, I see a guy that is dripping in skill, offensive IQ, and skating.

Reactions: pacman25

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
I just don't get all the hype, and excitement, for the NHL draft. Apart from the 1st round, the rest of the rounds are mostly insignificant when it comes to a team striking gold with a player.

Yes, players drafted in the 1st round are a cut above the rest, however, only around 60% end up being a career NHL player. So, that means 40% of all the 1st round players selected, fail to stick long term in the NHL.

Only 80% of 1st round picks will become a lower tier player, or better. Only 45% of 2nd round picks, and 30% of 3rd round picks will become NHL players of any significance.

We spend a great deal of time discussing players that really never become long term NHL players.

I now see why some NHL execs have the draft smaft attitude. I hate the salary cap, but, it at least has forced NHL teams to focus more on the draft in order to fill out their rosters with cheap secondary players, mostly for the short term.

JMHO.

What is the record for 1st. round picks for the current Leafs management / scouting staff?

Nylander, Marner, Matthews, Liljegren?

Leafs have struck out 4 times in the past 20 drafts, but 2 of those are on Burke.

I could see where you could have bad 1st. round picks if you have dinosaur GM's too involved in the selection process. Site the Burke non European draft by design. Drafting a player in the 1st. round you project having a ceiling as a 3rd. liner. Swinging for the fences on a boom or bust prospect. Drafting 17-18 year old players is really tough once you get outside the sweet zone.

We're now in the Detroit zone of never drafting in the top 16 for the next decade, without Dubas using assets to move up.

Mikeyg

Dec 26, 2011
Nobody (and I mean nobody) wants Jett Woo with our 1st pick.

Edit: I guess I was wrong. The guy above me does lmao.
Not my first rodeo around here, I know how some of these jokers think. I have a pHD in hfology. Lmao picking safe in 2018, we’re trying to win cups people! News flash bitches!

TheTotalPackage

Sep 14, 2006
I get excited the day of, and once the first three/four picks are out of the way, it becomes a letdown. I want a massive trade or two to complete rock the draft.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
It’s hilarious that our team flushes 1st round pick down the toilet? Are you a Hab fan?

And here we go already.

He's probably one of the more skilled and smart players in this draft, outside of the obvious top 2. If it makes you feel better, his overall play was much better when he played best on best (internationally). He needs work defensively, but you'd have to be a little dense to think he can't work on that to get better. Most prospects around that pick will have issues.

The bigger thing is his temper and of course attitude problems. If he gets drafted in the top 31, the team that does pick him thinks he can mature and/or move on from those issues, banking on that high level skill and skating ability. If he can move forward on those issues, he could be a dominant NHL defenseman.

Reactions: pacman25 and Morgs

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Likely one of the top 5 most skilled players in the draft. Possibly the best skater in the entire draft. Perceived attitude issues and defensive deficiencies have lowered his stock drastically, but that stuff can be fixed if you trust our development program. Potential home run pick.

They don’t need a guy with a bad attitude. They already have Nylander and Marner that can skate and have a ton of skill with defensive “opportunities for improvement”.

Reactions: supermann_98

supermann_98

May 8, 2002
Visit site
Just because you don't like the guy, doesn't mean other people aren't allowed to. It's going to be funny just to see someone like you react.

You see issues, I see a guy that is dripping in skill, offensive IQ, and skating.
The draft always has one of these talent-with-issues guys:
Kyle Beach
Kirill Kabanov
Anthony DeAngelo
Josh Ho Sang

How many have turned out?

Then you got guys like who are dripping with talent but STILL don’t pan out:
Daigle
Brendl
Yakupov
Filatov

I’d rather take my chances on a talented but lazy or injury-prone guy than a talented coach-killer with a bad attitude and an allergy to playing defence.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Top-5 most skilled player in the draft, and most likely the best offensive defenseman to come out of it if everything clicks.

Poor defense, gives up on plays, and bad attitude.

It was all an act.

He wanted to be drafted by the Leafs, and had to find some way to lower his draft rankings because he knew the Leafs wouldn't be drafting below 20th., and he couldn't contract mono.

Reactions: Smif and Morgs

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
The draft always has one of these talent-with-issues guys:
Kyle Beach
Kirill Kabanov
Anthony DeAngelo
Josh Ho Sang

How many have turned out?

Then you got guys like who are dripping with talent but STILL don’t pan out:
Daigle
Brendl
Yakupov
Filatov

I’d rather take my chances on a talented but lazy or injury-prone guy than a talented coach-killer with a bad attitude and an allergy to playing defence.

Laine - threatened his coachs life
Radulov - hit his coach in the head with a stick, partying, attitude
Kessel - don't think I need to speak on this one
Nylander - diva, hog, etc.

I mean, you can throw out names. So can I. You have a preference, so do I. You could just stop quoting me so we stop having this fight in multiple threads.

Reactions: pacman25
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad