GDT: 2018 NHL Entry Draft l June 22nd & 23rd l "Don't screw this up, Avs!" Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
I have a feeling he 's going to the Nucks.
But man the disappointment around here would be epic haha

The only thing that would kinda disappoint me is a defenseman similar to ones the Avs already have. Other than that I'll be fine with the pick since I don't think anyone really stands above the rest in that range unless something unexpected happens.

Goulet17

May 22, 2003
I want Bokk or Merkley at 16... I give that about a .1% chance of happening :(

Why Bokk? I have heard some different opinions on him (i.e., lack of physicality/willingness to compete in the hard areas of the ice, some issues with his skating).

Last edited:

Vaslof

Feb 1, 2017
Since we switched threads, here's the Hepple interview again.

http://avalanche.nhl.com/v2/ext/podcasts/avscast/2018-19/Hepple 2018 Draft AvsCast Final.mp3

Very annoyed by Hepple consistently saying Tyson Yost.

- Wants to draft players who fit the locker room and aren't troublemakers. Didn't name names, but we know at least about Merkley.
- Scouts top players himself, leaves the lower picks to the minions.
- They're emphasizing hockey smarts when drafting and IIRC he said that's a Sakic influence. Also skills and speed obviously.

I'm expecting us to pick one of Noel, Denisenko, Veleno or McLeod with our 1st rounder. Assuming no-one big falls to us.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
Hoping for Serron Noel tonight.

Pass.

Also pass

Wilde or Miller for me.

Would actually be good with either, though it does look like Miller's underlying analytical numbers are better than Wilde's.

I want Bokk or Merkley at 16... I give that about a .1% chance of happening :(

Wouldn't mind either, but if we're going W and Veleno/Hayton are gone (neither of which are players I'm like SUPER high on), then I'd prefer Bokk.

And I'd also pass on Denisenko and Kravtsov. With Denisenko, I just can't help but feel like he won't live up over here.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
Just a reminder: All posts about trades and whatnot *MUST* be accompanied by a source, if it's Twitter you *MUST* post the Tweet. These are the same rules we use for Trade Deadline Day, today/tomorrow, and Free Agent Frenzy.

JLo217

Jul 22, 2009
Reno, NV
Are there any fast risers getting some hype to be close to breaking in the top 10 that were off the radar before?

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
- Wants to draft players who fit the locker room and aren't troublemakers. Didn't name names, but we know at least about Merkley.
- Scouts top players himself, leaves the lower picks to the minions.
- They're emphasizing hockey smarts when drafting and IIRC he said that's a Sakic influence. Also skills and speed obviously.

I'm expecting us to pick one of Noel, Denisenko, Veleno or McLeod with our 1st rounder. Assuming no-one big falls to us.

One of the biggest questions on him is his level of hockey smarts... doesn't fit with what Hepple said.

Vaslof

Feb 1, 2017
One of the biggest questions on him is his level of hockey smarts... doesn't fit with what Hepple said.

Ah my bad, I'm just relying on reports and Craig Button described him as smart and marked him as 4/5 in skating. Just shows how you need to watch the prospects yourself to really know how they are :)

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
I know he's talented, but Merkely makes Ozo look like Rod Langway with his approach to D. Not to mention that he acts like he is above his teammates.

PS

Excuse the possible typos, I'm on my 5th Corona and there were a few White Russians mixed in between all that as well.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Sakic always likes down to Earth "I'd let him marry my daughter" type of guys. I'd not hold my breath on Merkley.

SaltySkywalker

Bushes of Love
Jul 15, 2016
Tatooine
I think it will be a quiet draft for Avs. They won't get the #4th overall and will just use their draft picks.

Hope for a goalie in the second round.

Not that this is necessarily a bad thing, but I'm so sick of hearing this every year. I want to make a splash every once in awhile. Tired of hearing the better teams always making moves to get better or to move up or whatever it may be.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Ah my bad, I'm just relying on reports and Craig Button described him as smart and marked him as 4/5 in skating. Just shows how you need to watch the prospects yourself to really know how they are :)

Same with Mark Edwards from HockeyProspect.com. Many others have listed his skating as a strength as well.

SaltySkywalker

Bushes of Love
Jul 15, 2016
Tatooine
I know he's talented, but Merkely makes Ozo look like Rod Langway with his approach to D. Not to mention that he acts like he is above his teammates.

PS

Excuse the possible typos, I'm on my 5th Corona and there were a few White Russians mixed in between all that as well.

Coronas and White Russians, huh?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad