Prospect Info: 2018 NHL Entry Draft Discussion: Final Countdown! Tomorrow is the big day!

Who is BPA available at 24?

• Benoit-Oliver Groulx - C

• Jacob Olofsson - C

• Dominik Bokk - C

• Ryan Merkley - RD

• Rasmus Sandin - LD

• Jett Woo -RD

• Miller LD/Samuellsson LD/Thomas LW (3/8 appearances)

• Liam Foudy - C

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

hawkeerox

Jan 2, 2018
I think it all comes down to if they figure if McBain's skating can and will improve, if management thinks he is worthy of a 1st round pick. He does tick a lot of boxes and comes from good bloodlines. Another Center who will be there if Fillip Hallander. Where Olofsson is getting most of the press as being a 1st round pick, Hallander might be the better selection.

Getting back to Dellandrea, I see him as being one of the younger players in the draft, playing for a bad team in Flint putting up near PPG numbers, above 50% in faceoffs and if you read the countless articles is a great kid off the ice as well. If I recall, his International duty, namely last years Hlinka, he got 4th line mins and minimal PP time. I would like it if he slips to the 2nd round and we can nab him at 52 but he probably wont be there. I know Central Scouting has him ranked in the 70s I believe, but he should move way up.

My top picks for the 1st two rounds would have to be
1) Akil Thomas/Filip Hallander
2) Jakub Lauko/ Ty Dellandrea/Jack Mcbain
I think this is a draft where since we have so many similar tiered players, especially from 30 to 60, to trade down and get an extra 2nd round pick. Even though I dont think McBain and Dellandrea will be there at 52, that is where I'd take them since I think Thomas and Hallander are quite a bit better IMO. It is going to certainly going to be an interesting draft. Perhaps the Leafs figure their top notch developmental program could fix Merkley's deficiencies and they roll the dice and select him. I am optimistic, I totally wouldn't hate it if we hear Mark Hunter call Ryan Merkley's name in the 1st round.

Dellandrea's moving waaaaay up.

ChicagoBullsFan

Jun 6, 2015
Finland
Anyone standing out at the u18s?

Niklas Nordgren Finland's 1st line LW.
Nordgren shoots right and he's RW of his natural position.
But in U18 WJC he's LW because 2019 draft eligible Kaapo Kakko plays RW.

Nordgren's best assets are goal scoring and playmaking.
Also his skill set is impressive and he's high scoring RW with pass first mentality.
As 5'9 tall Nordgren lacks physicality.

His skating is getting better but acceleration, stride power and explosiviness needs improvement.
Nordgren isn't 1st round pick but he can get drafted somewhere in rounds 2 to 7.

Niklas Nordgren.

Niklas Nordgren | FinnProspects.com

Last edited:
Reactions: S2S

Hoverhand

Barry Trotzky
Dec 6, 2015
Ontario
Go back to the 2015 style. Our 4th-7th rounds in 2016 were brutal.
I mean Adam Brooks was destroying the WHL when the Leafs took him, and that pick very much modeled the 2015 style and its so far been a success. Middleton's dropped the "fridge on skates" reputation and is developing better than i had expected. Walker and Bobylev were both high scoring Canadian junior players from a good Victoria program. Mattinen was Hunter's homer pick, whatever he had his reasons.

And I mean Chebykin was the obscure European pick, if you propose we give the 7th round back to Bergmann, ill agree with you there.

Point being, those picks were justified and not at all brutal.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
I mean Adam Brooks was destroying the WHL when the Leafs took him, and that pick very much modeled the 2015 style and its so far been a success. Middleton's dropped the "fridge on skates" reputation and is developing better than i had expected. Walker and Bobylev were both high scoring Canadian junior players from a good Victoria program. Mattinen was Hunter's homer pick, whatever he had his reasons.

And I mean Chebykin was the obscure European pick, if you propose we give the 7th round back to Bergmann, ill agree with you there.

Point being, those picks were justified and not at all brutal.

I love giving Bergman the 6-7th rounds, he finds so many Swedish gems lol.

Dzonna

Mar 28, 2017
Would you guys like it if leafs traded nylander and gardiner for boqvist? Too much? Would that get Dahlin?

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Would you guys like it if leafs traded nylander and gardiner for boqvist? Too much? Would that get Dahlin?

Only way we'd do it is if we got Dahlin.

Boqvist is not significantly better than Liljegren, if at all. He just wasn't as unlucky as Liljegren was in his draft year. Liljegren could have easily gone in the top 3-5 if he played to what he was normally capable of.

Reactions: Dzonna

Dzonna

Mar 28, 2017
Only way we'd do it is if we got Dahlin.

Boqvist is not significantly better than Liljegren, if at all. He just wasn't as unlucky as Liljegren was in his draft year. Liljegren could have easily gone in the top 3-5 if he played to what he was normally capable of.

Figured yah, I knew lily had major potential. I love nylander but If Lou concocted that then we’d be in good shape. Prob have to use nylander a money to resign jvr or sign Tavares though. So are we cheering for oilers to win then lol.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto

are you suggesting we trade nylander and AND gardiner for like pick 8~ what a terrible deal.
Scouting report i found
This draft will be marked with an unprecedented number of highly sought after skilled attacking defensemen who are average or under-sized with little physicality, but compensate for it with terrific hands, and ability to push the pace and do a decent job in their own end using their skill sets. In the Swedish junior, Boqvist shown has a nice shot, and high end speed and agility. He may very well be top top skating defenseman in the draft, displaying great balance, agility and lateral mobility. He is lightning fast and has great vision and distributes the puck unselfishly, and he jumps fun on the attack, sometimes leading it. He opens up and delivers a very accurate one timer. As a slight smaller player, he gets overtaken, losing puck battles to the bigger players. Does show good vision in both ends but it is a bigger challenge in his own end. His fast feet help negate some of his problems in the defensive zone, but it is difficult to ignore his defensive zone positioning issues, and lightweight anchor, so he needs to fill out, get stronger, and build his defensive game. Another right handed shooting defenseman.

people have been shitting on Nylander and gardiner for this type of stuff all year now you want to trade both for one of that type of player. Nylander hasn't gone backwards from being an 8th overall pick either, gardiner is worth at least a mid 1st

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
Nylander and Gardiner for Boqvist? Talk about one step forward two steps back. Way too much risk with not enough potential return.

scouting report sounds like Nylander as a dman. If we offered Nylander alone for a pick we would end up with a pretty high pick, he is 21 and already has 2x61 point seasons to his name. Amazing what 5 playoff games can do in a fanbase eh? that deal is pretty much just throwing nylander and gardiner out, boqvist will never be as good as nylander and gardiner combined.

Nylander and gardiner would proabably get us a young established top pair dman in fact. Might not be top end but it would very very easily get Tanev for example, might even get an OEL level dman.

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
I've allowed myself to get my hopes up that Wilde slips... I'm going to be a disappointed man on draft day lol.

Dzonna

Mar 28, 2017
No need to get worked up. As I’ve stated I’m a big nylander fan and these are only hypothetical questions to avert from the usually HF jargon lol.
I wouldn’t be crushed if they were packaged for a solid D. It seems that a lot of people have mixed subjective views on these two, depending on the fanbase.

ErnieLeafs

Apr 7, 2009
No need to get worked up. As I’ve stated I’m a big nylander fan and these are only hypothetical questions to avert from the usually HF jargon lol.
I wouldn’t be crushed if they were packaged for a solid D. It seems that a lot of people have mixed subjective views on these two, depending on the fanbase.

If Nylander and Gardiner were in a package for a defenseman, it wouldn't be one being drafted in June. At least try to be realistic with hypotheticals.

Reactions: Dzonna and Walshy7

DraftGuru

Mar 6, 2018
If Nylander and Gardiner were in a package for a defenseman, it wouldn't be one being drafted in June. At least try to be realistic with hypotheticals.
Maybe you should take the hypothetical trade to a more receptive thread. This is more for discussion about the upcoming draft and players we like, don't like and who we would like to see drafted by the Leafs and see as good fits, rather than some off the wall blockbuster which is far from the way management likes to do things.

Reactions: Dzonna

ErnieLeafs

Apr 7, 2009
Maybe you should take the hypothetical trade to a more receptive thread. This is more for discussion about the upcoming draft and players we like, don't like and who we would like to see drafted by the Leafs and see as good fits, rather than some off the wall blockbuster which is far from the way management likes to do things.

Talking to the wrong guy, bud.

DraftGuru

Mar 6, 2018
From what I've read, his showing in this tournament has been nothing short of awful.
I agree about Wilde.....has not looked good and could easily slip to us. Has all the tools but might be lacking a little hockey sense. Could be the way they are being coached in the developmental program. Miller and Wilde have not looked good. Samuelsson has looked the best out of the bunch

ObscureAlien

May 1, 2016

proposing trading established, contributing, offensive players for futures is not averting from the usual HF jargon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad