Post-Game Talk: 2018 NHL Draft

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
I don't have a problem with going small and skilled except it relies on the gm to fill the gaps and well we've seen Benning at work: low IQ of Sbisa, the mediocrity of gudbranson, future buyout Lucic etc.

Last edited:

Orca Smash

Feb 9, 2012
I might be in the minority, this all boils down to us not having enough picks to get creative and then needing to hang on for dear life to keep what we have, but still if a 2nd and 3rd got us into the late first to grab veleno, i would have did that over madden and woo personally.

We still should be coming into these drafts with far more picks to boot though.

LeftCoast

Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver
Round 2. Woo, was a round 1 all year until he got traded. Fast, puck moving and physical. Plays for Dale Hunter. Has a really good shot to play in 2-3 years.
Jett Woo didn't / doesn't play for Dale Hunter or the London Knights. He played for the Moose Jaw Warriors of the WHL. He also wasn't traded. He started the season pretty hot - almost a point per game, but had 2 injuries (shoulder and abdominal). His team traded for Kyle Clague while he was injured and when he returned he had to work his way back up the depth chart.

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
It seems like they went away from BPA this draft

I like Jett woo from the scouting reports and his interviews, Madden as well interviewed really well, and seems like his dad is focusing him on the small things on the ice, sportsnet 650 have both interviews, good listens.

The rest of the picks are bland, utunen does seem like a good value pick, who knows.

ahmon

Jun 25, 2002
Visit site
Im excited about this draft.
Quinn Hughes is a unique player.

I've watched a lot of college hockey. It's basically unheard of for a draft eligible player to dominate the way he did.

He doesn't just possess godly skating, his vision, hockey sense, escapility and puckhandling is elite even compared to NHLers.

He's almost unforecheckable when he has the puck. He just spins off the pressure, at times I feel like I'm watching Denis Savard and at times Datsyuk.

His ability to gain the zone is on par with the Kanes, gaudreaus, kellers. Even when he's in trouble, he has the hockey sense to place the puck in an area where his teammates can get to the puck first.

For later picks, I would have liked to see even more skill. Like Perunovich, Hutsko etc.

Woo is an interesting pick. He's more or less a late 1st before the injuries.

Madden was really the only ? In the first 5 rounds. But Bracket clearly sees something in him. The way he describes him, sounds a lot like how he described Gaudette and Lockwood.

If I had to nitpick it would be the last couple picks, becsuse they look unprepared for them but looking g at the big picture, picking Hughes is franchise changing.

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
Pretty obvious theme to this draft

Average height of skaters taken

1. 2018 Vancouver 69.6
2. 2018 Columbus 70.0
3. 2011 Calgary 70.0
4. 2018 Calgary 70.2
5. 2017 Buffalo 70.4

Weight
1. 2018 Vancouver 166.2
2. 2011 Calgary 170.0
3. 2011 Tampa 170.0
4. 2008 Montreal 171.3
5. 2012 Chicago 172.5

Bitz and Bites

May 5, 2012
Victoria
Love the Hughes pick,him dropping to us at 7 is basically getting the 3OA lottery pick.

Woo was a bit under the radar due to injuries then losing prime PP minutes but could be primed for a real breakout season next year.Also fills a big need in our system for RHS Dmen.

Lots to like with the Madden pick as well.Fast,makes plays at high speed,really high compete level,and going to a really good program at NE.He sounds a bit like a Gaudette/Lockwood hybrid,TBH.
If/when he can play his game with a man sized body,he could be a really effective player going forward.

The Finnish Dman seems like a great value pick in the fifth.These are the picks that you need to hit on somewhat regularly to build depth in your organization and this one gives you a decent shot at that.

Last two picks seem like tossing a bone to our Ruusian and Prarie scouts who were probably feeling a bit left out.Both are real long shots:.Overage,undersized,and Russian doesn’t sound like a good formula for converting a pick.Goalies are a crapshoot,rather just sign a CHL or college FA when you have a better idea where they’re at in a couple more years.

Not giving out grades now,have to wait and see what happens,could turn out to be a really good draft 5 years down the road but ,as usual,wish we had more picks.
Having an extra second rounder like last year would make a big difference.Lots of good players in that range that could add a lot of depth to our prospect pool.

Reactions: THE Green Man

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
I'm a little disappointed in this draft. Even with Hughes. It would feel equivalent if the Canucks drafted Makar over EP last draft

It isn't a sexy draft outside of Hughes. In its defence a lot of this draft class are players that have been limited by size, exposure etc. Woo will get a chance to show his offensive side, Madden a chance to grow physically. We will know a lot more about this draft next year, it could be looking bad pretty quickly or it could take a big boost.

GetFocht

Indestructible
Jun 11, 2013
Yep, we left the draft either Quinn and Woo, don’t care for anyone else. This draft is a huge win.

Kryten

slightly regarded
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
Kootenays
Was probably posted already but my favourite was yesterday right after the Hughes pick Benning said “the Boesers, the Petterssons, the Gaudettes”.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
So the Canucks moved back in the sixth round and got an extra pick from the Caps in the 2019 draft...another sixth rounder. It doesn't replace the fourth they lost in the Pouliot deal, but I guess it's a start.

Nucker42

Nov 27, 2011
Jett Woo didn't / doesn't play for Dale Hunter or the London Knights. He played for the Moose Jaw Warriors of the WHL. He also wasn't traded. He started the season pretty hot - almost a point per game, but had 2 injuries (shoulder and abdominal). His team traded for Kyle Clague while he was injured and when he returned he had to work his way back up the depth chart.
Sorry, I meant Tim Hunter.

Spectrefire

Jan 3, 2013

I like Jett woo from the scouting reports and his interviews, Madden as well interviewed really well, and seems like his dad is focusing him on the small things on the ice, sportsnet 650 have both interviews, good listens.

The rest of the picks are bland, utunen does seem like a good value pick, who knows.

What the hell was even the consensus BPA through the most of this draft anyways? After the top 2 picks, every team's consensus list seemed to be all over the place. This whole BPA nonsense is getting tiring considering there is no such thing as a consencus in the draft, especially after the top picks. As long as the Canucks are picking the players they feel are going to be the best bets, that's all you can hope for.

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
Im excited about this draft.
Quinn Hughes is a unique player.

I've watched a lot of college hockey. It's basically unheard of for a draft eligible player to dominate the way he did.

He doesn't just possess godly skating, his vision, hockey sense, escapility and puckhandling is elite even compared to NHLers.

He's almost unforecheckable when he has the puck. He just spins off the pressure, at times I feel like I'm watching Denis Savard and at times Datsyuk.

His ability to gain the zone is on par with the Kanes, gaudreaus, kellers. Even when he's in trouble, he has the hockey sense to place the puck in an area where his teammates can get to the puck first.

For later picks, I would have liked to see even more skill. Like Perunovich, Hutsko etc.

Woo is an interesting pick. He's more or less a late 1st before the injuries.

Madden was really the only ? In the first 5 rounds. But Bracket clearly sees something in him. The way he describes him, sounds a lot like how he described Gaudette and Lockwood.

If I had to nitpick it would be the last couple picks, becsuse they look unprepared for them but looking g at the big picture, picking Hughes is franchise changing.

Great post.

I couldn’t agree more with you on Hughes. I don’t think size will be an issue at all with this kid and I truly believe that he will be a 1st line pairing calibre guy...........even if he doesn’t become a superstar.

Here’s what I like about this the most though......and this of course is assuming that everything goes to plan:

If Hughes develops into what I think he will be, then it takes a lot of pressure off of Olli Juolevi and Ben Hutton (should the Canucks decide to keep Hutton).

1) Juolevi will likely not be a top pairing guy, but with Hughes here, he doesn’t have to be. Juolevi can simply develop at a comfortable pace and become a very good 2nd pairing defenseman for us.

2) Hutton doesn’t have to feel pressured to be a Top 4 defenseman now that Hughes is here. Hutton can go back to being an elite 3rd pairing defenseman just as he was in 2015/2016.

Canucks defense in the future:

Hughes-####
Juolevi
Hutton

Here’s the other thing: Tryamkin will likely return to us, while Hughes is apparently equally as good/effective on the right side.

So now, you can roll with

Hughes
Juolevi
Hutton

and either move Hughes to the right side if he plays with Tree, or put Tree on the right side if he plays with Hutton or Juolevi.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
I might be in the minority, this all boils down to us not having enough picks to get creative and then needing to hang on for dear life to keep what we have, but still if a 2nd and 3rd got us into the late first to grab veleno, i would have did that over madden and woo personally.

Totally agree. A rebuilding team coming into the draft with fewer than the default amount is atrocious.

MTL walks in with 6 picks in the top 66. We had 6 in the whole draft. It's really not rocket science to get more picks.

And agreed on Veleno. Woo and Madden are just total meh. Moving those guys to get into the first for a Veleno would be vastly superior.

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
We got QUINN HUGHES, good enough for me lmao

I hope the other picks work out, but I am beyond excited to see Hughes work his magic in the NHL

Reactions: BassMason

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
NHL.com lists Vancouver as one of the 8 big winners of the 2018 draft

Man I love this team :yo:

Reactions: ddawg1950

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria

Honestly, I thought their day 2 was very meh. Hughes was a win, but outside that....blah.

Woo is a fine prospect, but I think 37 is a bit much. Passing on Wise twice, for me, is inexcusable. It'll bite us in the ass later. Utunen is a decent bet, but the guys they picked are just underwhelming in general.

This draft is pretty much entirely about Hughes.

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016

I am optimistic that we garner a few more picks for next year since it's in Vancouver. I also could see this as the first year we go hard tank (with actual intentions behind it); no Sedins and a Horvat/Boeser/Tanev injury and we're donezo. Unless we land a few impact UFAs or young players step up, this team is going to be garbage time and could not handle injuries. We'll be in the hunt for Hughes by the TDL at the latest IMO and dump some players for more picks; hopefully the lottery odds work out. I could see the Canucks throwing a ridiculous package for 1st overall (let's say something like 5th overall + Horvat/Pettersson or 5th overall + 2020 1st + Juolevi/Gaudette/Tanev/etc.) but I still don't see it being moved unfortunately.

Knight53

#6 #9 #17 #35 #40 #43
Jun 23, 2015
Vancouver
All in all a great draft for us. Restocked the defensive pipeline.

Hughes is a franchise changer, and Woo and Utunen have top 4 upsides.

Very interested on how Madden does next year, seems Brackett likes him a lot.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
What the hell was even the consensus BPA through the most of this draft anyways? After the top 2 picks, every team's consensus list seemed to be all over the place. This whole BPA nonsense is getting tiring considering there is no such thing as a consencus in the draft, especially after the top picks. As long as the Canucks are picking the players they feel are going to be the best bets, that's all you can hope for.

This is wrong because as we know, there are definitely value picks that are ranked higher by independent sources throughout the draft. That’s why they rank them all: To denote their strength against the field. For the Canucks to go away from that understanding is fine, but they have to outperform it when doing so. Otherwise, the scouting staff adds no value above what a public scouting service can provide.

There were definite value adds in day 2 like Tomas, Hallander, Durzi etc... The Canucks passed on all of them to target character and grit. Let’s see if it works out for them? I don’t like that methodology, but we’ll know as soon as next year what the early returns are from this draft.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016

yeah, i think this draft illustrates how much the journalists who compile those consensus lists do not know. every single pick in the top ten after 2 dropped or was a reach from their predictions and it got no better as the draft progressed. it is important to keep in mind that each of the 31 drafting teams participating in that draft put more work into it than the journalists did and has access to information the journalists lack. at the end of the day the consensus lists are a fun tool for predicting and discussing drafting but they are not a basis for judging drafting. in the absence of access to all the team's actual draft lists to compile a true consensus, the proof is in the pudding.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
“The proof is in the pudding” looks at VANs draft record. Hmmm.

Attacking the source, and not the information provided by the source, is a logical fallacy. It’s clear some posters don’t understand this. Value is value, it doesn’t matter if the ranking comes from a journalist, hfboard poster, tsn1040 caller, whatever. If they’re right, they’re right.

That the Canucks have been this bad at drafting for this long, and this very regime has had mixed results overall, it would be the height of hubris to deny all public understanding at the time. Those posters are welcome to put the blinders on, but it won’t save the Canucks from criticism if they’re wrong. We’re already seeing the media backlash for the lack of picks overall, Virtanen, Juolevi etc...

The 2nd day of drafting departs from what was generally understood at the time. Let’s see if the Canucks were right in bucking that public wisdom. Good luck to them.

Reactions: thefeebster

Orca Smash

Feb 9, 2012
It concerns me a bit how benning talks about our forward group, while its good, it still needs more, if you look at teams like the jets, outside of pettersson, boeser, and horvat, i dont know if the lind's, gaudettes, dahlen's are top 6 or bottom 6 forwards. He is speaking like he did that one year about our luxurious defense when it was really not luxurious.

The jets have a forward group of Scheifele, laine, ehlers, connor, wheeler, Vesalainen.

Orca Smash

Feb 9, 2012
yeah, i think this draft illustrates how much the journalists who compile those consensus lists do not know. every single pick in the top ten after 2 dropped or was a reach from their predictions and it got no better as the draft progressed. it is important to keep in mind that each of the 31 drafting teams participating in that draft put more work into it than the journalists did and has access to information the journalists lack. at the end of the day the consensus lists are a fun tool for predicting and discussing drafting but they are not a basis for judging drafting. in the absence of access to all the team's actual draft lists to compile a true consensus, the proof is in the pudding.

This is what bothers me at times on here when someone posts an odd list they get scolded by some, people on here follow media lists and if someone does not follow the consensus and dislikes someone the media loves in their lists, they get jumped on. These media lists in reality are not a bible, and certainly as we see nhl teams also disagree with them.

Orca Smash

Feb 9, 2012
I don’t get the Wise love the guys skating is some of the worst I have seen

Skating to me is something that can be improved, i dont disqualify players because of skating, brock boeser when he was drafted did not have strong skating or speed, but it is not a deal breaker, do his additional attributes make up for his skating is the question for me and to me they did.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Kind of a disappointing draft for me on the whole. If you'd told me beforehand that the Canucks could walk out of there with Noah Dobson and Ryan McLeod, or even Jacob Olofsson, i would've been doing backflips. That was on the table. But instead, we got a pair of guys in the first two rounds that i'm not as high on, and had some kinda weird/obscure picks from the later rounds that are hard to get super excited about when i haven't really seen enough of them.

I can see some bright spots and "upside" to it i guess. And some of these picks, i just don't know enough either way to say that they're definitely not exciting picks i suppose. Just isn't a draft where i walk away really stoked on what they've collected.

Though to be fair as well, it was a draft that after the first couple rounds, i was having a harder time than most years finding later "sleepers" i really liked beforehand as well. My perception is most heavily coloured by the first two rounds though. Those are really the money rounds, and i'm not altogether on board with either pick...though i think either can be justified easily enough. A lot more excited about some other teams' drafts than our own though, unfortunately.

Grub

First Line Troll
Jun 30, 2008
B.C
Great post.

I couldn’t agree more with you on Hughes. I don’t think size will be an issue at all with this kid and I truly believe that he will be a 1st line pairing calibre guy...........even if he doesn’t become a superstar.

Here’s what I like about this the most though......and this of course is assuming that everything goes to plan:

If Hughes develops into what I think he will be, then it takes a lot of pressure off of Olli Juolevi and Ben Hutton (should the Canucks decide to keep Hutton).

1) Juolevi will likely not be a top pairing guy, but with Hughes here, he doesn’t have to be. Juolevi can simply develop at a comfortable pace and become a very good 2nd pairing defenseman for us.

2) Hutton doesn’t have to feel pressured to be a Top 4 defenseman now that Hughes is here. Hutton can go back to being an elite 3rd pairing defenseman just as he was in 2015/2016.

Canucks defense in the future:

Hughes-####
Juolevi
Hutton

Here’s the other thing: Tryamkin will likely return to us, while Hughes is apparently equally as good/effective on the right side.

So now, you can roll with

Hughes
Juolevi
Hutton

and either move Hughes to the right side if he plays with Tree, or put Tree on the right side if he plays with Hutton or Juolevi.
Why is Ben Hutton still in people's line up? The guy is a bust already, get rid him ASAP.

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
Why is Ben Hutton still in people's line up? The guy is a bust already, get rid him ASAP.

Hutton does [MOD] as a top 4 guy, but I think he can still be a very good 3rd pairing defenseman......just as he was in 2015-2016. The guy has just lost his confidence. He can get it back though.

I still contend that Hutton plus an aged Tanev would be an excellent 3rd pairing for a number of years.

Last edited by a moderator:

Grub

First Line Troll
Jun 30, 2008
B.C
Hutton does [MOD] as a top 4 guy, but I think he can still be a very good 3rd pairing defenseman......just as he was in 2015-2016. The guy has just lost his confidence. He can get it back though.

I still contend that Hutton plus an aged Tanev would be an excellent 3rd pairing for a number of years.
We tried him as a 3rd pairing last year to. And he still sucked. This guy is not a young prospect anymore, he is a dime a dozen player. Aaron Rome and Andrew Alberts were better D-men.

Last edited by a moderator:

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
We tried him as a 3rd pairing last year to. And he still sucked. This guy is not a young prospect anymore, he is a dime a dozen player. Aaron Rome and Andrew Alberts were better D-men.

I don’t disagree with that, but we also saw how he performed in 2015-2016. Is he really that bad or has he just lost confidence? I think it’s the latter. A confident Hutton playing like he did in 15-16 can be a very good 3rd pairing dman in my opinion.

If Hughes makes it as a top pairing guy, and if Juolevi can become a decent 2nd pairing guy, then we could be all set on left side D for many years.

Hughes-####
Juolevi-####
Hutton-####

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver

Last season hutton had a terrible back half of the season... somehow he was still our third best dman statistically if I remember correctly. I like Hutton, and while I am not overly attached, there is other guys I would send off first pretty quickly.

Nuckles

_________
Apr 27, 2010
heck
So apparently we had Hayton and Tkachuk rated above Dobson.

This draft made me lose a lot of faith in Brackett. Not necessarily because of his scouting ability, but I overestimated his influence on the scouting department after being named director of amateur scouting. There are just so many terrible "scouts" working for this team.

terrible dee

Oct 1, 2017

Absolutely,

Can you drop your resume off at Rogers Arena? Y'know....just in case

Be nice to have a GM who like picks

Ad

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad