GDT: 2018 NHL Draft

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
I'm expecting Bettman to troll everybody with a trade announcement before the 1st or 2nd pick that has nothing to do with that pick. I'll laugh hysterically if it is before the first pick and probably stop breathing if it is before the second.
"How can I get booed more than I've ever been booed before?"
*just before the second pick*
"We have a trade to announce. THE CAROLINA HURRICANES. HAVE TRADED.... Tyler Ganly for a 2019 7th round pick, Carolina is still on the clock".

Last edited:

WreckingCrew

Feb 4, 2015
I'm expecting Bettman to troll everybody with a trade announcement before the 1st or 2nd pick that has nothing to do with that pick. I'll laugh hysterically if it is before the first pick and probably stop breathing if it is before the second.
"Ladies and gentlemen, we have a trade to announce...

...the Carolina Hurricanes have decided to trade their 2nd...

*microphone cuts off for several minutes as crews try to get it working*

...their 2nd round pick............"

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
LeBrun reporting that Skinner interest is parked until Kovalchuk is decided. Many of the interested teams see them as comparably desirable it would seem (although Kovalchuk is free asset-wise).

Kovalchuk, Free Agency, and July 1 bonuses could hold up the market.
It's like there's moments where I actually know what the f*** I'm talking about. That or a blind squirrel finds an acorn every now and then, either or.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
Headed into tonight I’m surprisingly feeling the same way I’ve felt the whole time approaching this draft. I’m fine with any of Svech, Zadina or Tkachuk. As long as it’s one of those three I’m pretty pumped.

Normally I change my mind five times. I expected to have a more definite favorite. I like Svech and am pretty happy he’s seemingly going to get picked, I’m just not convinced the other two won’t have equal or better careers from where they are now.

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
LeBrun reporting that Skinner interest is parked until Kovalchuk is decided. Many of the interested teams see them as comparably desirable it would seem (although Kovalchuk is free asset-wise).

Kovalchuk, Free Agency, and July 1 bonuses could hold up the market.
I won't be surprised if we don't see more moves until then, but I do find it hard to believe that every team interested in Skinner also wants Kovalchuk and that Kovalchuk is interested in every one of those teams. It seems like someone could still be interested enough in Skinner to swoop in and grab him while the other suitors are distracted.

CanesFanBudMan

Borg member
Jun 14, 2016
I won't be surprised if we don't see more moves until then, but I do find it hard to believe that every team interested in Skinner also wants Kovalchuk and that Kovalchuk is interested in every one of those teams. It seems like someone could still be interested enough in Skinner to swoop in and grab him while the other suitors are distracted.
Thinking the holdup may be coming from our side - the more teams that are willing to pull the trigger he higher the price could go

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
Maybe, but if they know what teams are interested in Skinner as a fall back, I'd think they have a decent idea about the value they're dealing with. That's why I think it'd be easy if the right team steps up before then.
On the other hand there's no real way to maximize returns if it's easier for the other side to call your bluff.
"Well, I know you offered a 1st and an A prospect, but we want a young goalie as well"
"OK, we'll be in touch with Kovalchuk's agent, good luck with that"

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
On the other hand there's no real way to maximize returns if it's easier for the other side to call your bluff.
"Well, I know you offered a 1st and an A prospect, but we want a young goalie as well"
"OK, we'll be in touch with Kovalchuk's agent, good luck with that"
Well obviously. We don't need to be in a rush to trade him, so that won't be a big deal. We'd just wait it out. Sometimes teams will come to reasonable terms without that leverage I'm sure.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad