Prospect Info: 2018 NHL Draft / Pick #28 - Nils Lundkvist (D)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
Defensemen with poor decision making skills are a bigger liability with a faster game.

Thats why I see Wilde sliding.

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT
"good" is not good enough we always miss out on the best coaches and settle on "good enough" ones.
This conflicts with your username.

Your username suggests we never get a good coach.

Maybe you should change your name to WeNeverGetTheBestCoach. Cause we clearly have had good coaches.

Reactions: Dactyl

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
I never said genius. But I thought you still needed really good grades even as a hockey player to get into Harvard. Maybe not on the same standards as getting in purely on academics, but still really good. And, at least when I was in high school (17 years ago...) no one had really good grades who I wouldn’t consider “smart”

Full honesty here, this is no longer the case in most high schools. Not even close.

Kakko Schmakko

Feb 24, 2018
This conflicts with your username.

Your username suggests we never get a good coach.

Maybe you should change your name to WeNeverGetTheBestCoach. Cause we clearly have had good coaches.

Ok, I will change it to WeNeverGetaGreatCoach to avoid any further confusion.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Full honesty here, this is no longer the case in most high schools. Not even close.

Ugh.

Well, anyway... I’m trying to think of a comparison for Lundkvist, because there aren’t a ton of undersized D whose strength is their defensive and transition games, but not their offensive game, that come to mind.

Kakko Schmakko

Feb 24, 2018
Tolvanen couldn’t get into BC because of his grades. Wilde committed to Harvard then changed his mind and committed to U of Michigan, then changed his mind again and decommitted from there too. That’s a TOTALLY different situation and speaks to a potential character issue for sure. Might not be in the end, but you can clearly understand why it might raise some flags, aside from some questions about his game. The kid’s going to get drafted one way or the other, though.

Maybe Lundkvist would be there at 39. The main prospects board seemed to have him 25-40. Bob Mack had him at 36. No reach at 28 really.

I agree that is very strange, indecisive defensemen is a dangerous on the ice.

Kakko Schmakko

Feb 24, 2018
Ugh.

Well, anyway... I’m trying to think of a comparison for Lundkvist, because there aren’t a ton of undersized D whose strength is their defensive and transition games, but not their offensive game, that come to mind.

I know it is really a weird thing to draft. I am guessing they are thinking he will be like Stralman or Brodin? Does he play physical? Does he hit much, does he clear the front of the net?

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
I know it is really a weird thing to draft. I am guessing they are thinking he will be like Stralman or Brodin? Does he play physical? Does he hit much, does he clear the front of the net?

Doubt it on the last two. His biggest strength seems to be his smarts, from what I’ve read.

Maybe Brodin and (Rangers-era) Stralman are good comparisons. Lundkvist can still grow, so maybe he adds a couple of inches and gets around Brodin’s size. I always forget Stralman really is kinda small.

Lays

Jan 22, 2017
On Lundkvist for those who don’t know much about him
A little undersize dman but can play the body and is not afraid of getting in dirty areas (unlike Boqvist.) good offensive instincts but his defense is so good. Always been a fan of him and I was really happy with this pick. If anyone wants to see video on him I reccomend going onto ProspectShifts.com and looking up shift by shift videos of him. Also, that Sami Vatanen comparison was spot on imo

Reactions: Bozle

Grifter3511

Nov 3, 2009
Ugh.

Tanev?

gravey9

Dec 29, 2008
There are some good highlights of Nils on youtube. The thing that pops out after a while is just how he seems to know where to be. There were several highlights where he just made the smartest play possible. The best Rangers comparison is Stralman. A smaller version (for now). Just seems to have impeccable hockey sense and his skill flashes in more subtle ways than Boqvist or some of the other smaller puck moving D. I saw something that said, like Chytil, if he were three weeks younger he would have been drafted in next year. I think this kid can become a swiss army knife on D eventually. He's Lias Andersson if Lias was a D. Really intriguing prospect.

Elvs

Jul 3, 2006
Sweden
Nils comes from the same little town as me (a population of just 23 000 in the city, 41 000 in the community). Somehow we had all of Mikael Renberg, Tomas Holmstrom and Mattias Ohlund playing in the NHL at the same time. But I don't think anyone has been drafted from here since Jan Sandstrom in 1999, who is Nils uncle btw. He looked very good with Lulea the past season, has the upside to be a PP QB threat. Good luck with him!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad