Prospect Info: 2018 NHL Draft / Pick #28 - Nils Lundkvist (D)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Yuck. why? Why, Gorton!?

I keep wanting to respond to some posts like this that I see from you, then look at your username and remember that the Rangers have had like 3 bad coaches in the last 30 years, and their names were Ron Low, Bryan Trottier, and John Muckler (who was a good coach at one time who had the game pass him by). So I need to resist my inclination to point out that you’re seriously overreacting... and I will from now on.

Kakko Schmakko

Feb 24, 2018
I keep wanting to respond to some posts like this that I see from you, then look at your username and remember that the Rangers have had like 3 bad coaches in the last 30 years, and their names were Ron Low, Bryan Trottier, and John Muckler (who was a good coach at one time who had the game pass him by). So I need to resist my inclination to point out that you’re seriously overreacting... and I will from now on.

3 bad coaches in last 30 years? LMAO You must think Renney, Tortorella and AV are on par with Quenneville, Bowman, Trotz, etc.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Yeah, I don’t see a team that’s been emphasizing character (not in lieu of other things) taking the guy that decommitted to two separate colleges.
That's why Tolvanen fell last year too. Couldn't get into BC. What a bad character.

Lundkvist could have been there at 39, and I had other dmen such as Sandin ahead of him as well.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
3 bad coaches in last 30 years? LMAO You must think Renney, Tortorella and AV are on par with Quenneville, Bowman, Trotz, etc.

Whether they’re as good as those other coaches really isn’t the point. None of them were bad. All of them were good. Not necessarily great, which is a whole other discussion. And the same is true of Campbell and Neilson. Keenan was lightning in a bottle. And now we’ve covered every Ranger coach over that time period, minus Sather who I don’t really count for a few reasons, and Ron Smith who oversaw the end of the disaster that was 92-93.

Just proof of the propensity for exaggeration. Maybe we should derail the thread though.

broadwayblue

Mar 4, 2004
NYC
huh? where? link?

They mentioned it during the draft. But you can google it.

"He also won the Best Defenseman award at the U20 league SuperElit even though he spent just half a season there."

I don't know much about that league...but it's impressive to win that award in such a short time.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I've seen this guy ranked all over, really.

Some have him as a late first, others have him outside the top two rounds. I think the huge variations here are because this guy was not viewed as high-level prospect by almost anyone until later in the season. And when some started to move him up the board a lot, others didn't move him up as much.

I tend to think the answer is somewhere in the middle, although the Rangers seemingly disagree and had him about as high as any boards I've seen. I think he deserved to be moved up, but there was a certain point where some just started moving him up too much, in my opinion. I would've been mostly fine with picking this guy with one of the two second rounder we initially had. I think that was closer to his range.

Reactions: egelband

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
That's why Tolvanen fell last year too. Couldn't get into BC. What a bad character.

Lundkvist could have been there at 39, and I had other dmen such as Sandin ahead of him as well.

Tolvanen couldn’t get into BC because of his grades. Wilde committed to Harvard then changed his mind and committed to U of Michigan, then changed his mind again and decommitted from there too. That’s a TOTALLY different situation and speaks to a potential character issue for sure. Might not be in the end, but you can clearly understand why it might raise some flags, aside from some questions about his game. The kid’s going to get drafted one way or the other, though.

Maybe Lundkvist would be there at 39. The main prospects board seemed to have him 25-40. Bob Mack had him at 36. No reach at 28 really.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Tolvanen couldn’t get into BC because of his grades. Wilde committed to Harvard then changed his mind and committed to U of Michigan, then changed his mind again and decommitted from there too. That’s a TOTALLY different situation and speaks to a potential character issue for sure. Might not be in the end, but you can clearly understand why it might raise some flags, aside from some questions about his game. The kid’s going to get drafted one way or the other, though.

Maybe Lundkvist would be there at 39. The main prospects board seemed to have him 25-40. Bob Mack had him at 36. No reach at 28 really.
Wahlstrom decommitted Harvard too. I think it says more about Wahlstrom and Wilde that they were able to get into Harvard in the first place. I think not having grades to get into school is much more of a red flag.

Again, like Kravtsov, I actually don't have a problem with Lundkvist. There are just players that I liked better.

Kakko Schmakko

Feb 24, 2018
Whether they’re as good as those other coaches really isn’t the point. None of them were bad. All of them were good. Not necessarily great, which is a whole other discussion. And the same is true of Campbell and Neilson. Keenan was lightning in a bottle. And now we’ve covered every Ranger coach over that time period, minus Sather who I don’t really count for a few reasons, and Ron Smith who oversaw the end of the disaster that was 92-93.

Just proof of the propensity for exaggeration. Maybe we should derail the thread though.

"good" is not good enough we always miss out on the best coaches and settle on "good enough" ones.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Wahlstrom decommitted Harvard too. I think it says more about Wahlstrom and Wilde that they were able to get into Harvard in the first place. I think not having grades to get into school is much more of a red flag.

Again, like Kravtsov, I actually don't have a problem with Lundkvist. There are just players that I liked better.

You have to be smart to get into Harvard. You don’t have to be smart to be a great hockey player. I’m not sure of the exact story with Tolvanen, other than him not having the credits to officially graduate high school. Who knows why that happened. I understand why someone might decide not to attend a school, but doing it a second time is what throws up the flag.

As always, I find the hand-wringing about passing on players that any poster personally had rated higher to be a little silly.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
You have to be smart to get into Harvard. You don’t have to be smart to be a great hockey player. I’m not sure of the exact story with Tolvanen, other than him not having the credits to officially graduate high school. Who knows why that happened.

As always, I find the hand-wringing about passing on players that any poster personally had rated higher to be a little silly.

I used to work in college guidance. You don't have to be a genius to get into Harvard. Intelligence+Privilege is worth a million times more than genius.

If you're on track to be a hockey star at the school and get rejected, it's because you have a red flag somewhere that will drag down the GPA/Class Rank/SAT statistics to a real and noticeable level. Not stupid, just not intelligent.

Reactions: smoneil

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT
No, he was a reach, in my opinion.

I had him 42, we picked him 28. What should I call that?

Miller we picked 22, I had him 51.

I don't really care what the experts think. I form my own opinions.

I’m right there with you bud.

I don’t give a damn what those NASA nerds tell me about the moon. I still think it’s made of cheese.

I’ll trust the experts who watch a hell of a lot more hockey, and know more about hockey than you. Your board is literally, completely irrelevant.

I would have preferred to see someone else with that pick(like Veleno), but your rankings suck and I don’t think you know as much as you think you do when it comes down to evaluating talent.

By the way, the type of cheese is Vermont Cheddar.

Yup.

That’s what I’m going with.

Vermont Cheddar.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
He had a really bad WJC18. I wouldn't hold it against him. Miller also was terrible at that event, and these short tournaments get way overrated.

If this guy absolutely maximizes his upside, I think he could be somewhat comparable to Stralman. He's that mold of player, although I still think he'd need to improve his defense a lot more for that to happen.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
I used to work in college guidance. You don't have to be a genius to get into Harvard. Intelligence+Privilege is worth a million times more than genius.

If you're on track to be a hockey star at the school and get rejected, it's because you have a red flag somewhere that will drag down the GPA/Class Rank/SAT statistics to a real and noticeable level. Not stupid, just not intelligent.

I never said genius. But I thought you still needed really good grades even as a hockey player to get into Harvard. Maybe not on the same standards as getting in purely on academics, but still really good. And, at least when I was in high school (17 years ago...) no one had really good grades who I wouldn’t consider “smart”

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad