2018 NHL Draft Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
I think a number of us foresaw Zadina at 5 a few weeks/months back only to be told we were crazy.

I can't remember a draft with this many variables. Dahlin is the only lock. Everything else is a projection.

I think Carolina is either going Svech (the obvious 2 OV), Tkachuk (sandpaper), or Zadina (play with Necas).

If Carolina goes Svech, I think at 3 Montreal goes Kotkaniemi, as that rumor appears to be gaining steam. Montreal may draft for need at C like we did with Strome. Then Zadina either goes 4 to Ottawa or 5 to AZ. Ottawa finding a Karlsson replacement D at 4 is also a possibility. But they also have Chabot (LD) so does it make sense to take another LD in Hughes? Also possibility that a year from now Ottawa has both Hughes brothers. Or they just take another Swedish RD and grab Boqvist, or just take RD Bouchard. Or just keep it simple and take Zadina.

If Carolina goes Zadina or Tkachuk, I think Montreal has no choice but to take Svechnikov. Ottawa take a D at 4. Then we have a lot of options at 5. Tkachuk goes 5 or lower.

Edit: My list right now. Like I said, a lot of variables so this has been changing a lot:

1 Dahlin
2 Svechnikov
3 Zadina
4 Hughes
5 Tkachuk
6 Wahlstrom
7 Kotkaniemi
8 Dobson
9 Veleno
10 Boqvist
11 Bouchard

Maybe I just need to watch more of Bouchard but I'm just not seeing it. Hughes climbed the list with his Worlds performance, as did Dobson at the Mem Cup.

Last edited:

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Also if we want to overstock at C, then Curtis Douglas would be a good mid-round pick. He's a f***ing giant (6 foot 8, 240 lbs) and will have a bigger role with Windsor next season.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
If we're interested in Kotkaniemi, we didn't (or haven't yet) do the wine and dine. But Montreal, Chicago, and Detroit did.

Last edited:

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
If we're interested in Kotkaniemi, we didn't (or haven't yet) do the wine and done. But Montreal, Chicago, and Detroit did.
Flyers took Turris out to dinner prior to 07 draft (overheard his mother as I sat in front of her at a Burnaby Express game). It's just due diligence. Sometimes u don't want to tip your hand you like a player so you play like you aren't interested so teams don't feel obligated to trade up. It's how we lost out on Ryan Johansen. We didn't think anyone would take him in top 6.

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
Flyers took Turris out to dinner prior to 07 draft (overheard his mother as I sat in front of her at a Burnaby Express game). It's just due diligence. Sometimes u don't want to tip your hand you like a player so you play like you aren't interested so teams don't feel obligated to trade up. It's how we lost out on Ryan Johansen. We didn't think anyone would take him in top 6.

Johansen was picked 4th and the Coyotes had the 13th pick. I don't think we lost out on him because of any deceitful dinner arrangements.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Only confirmed valley visit is Brady Tkachuk, right? And Dobson is confirmed not to be visiting, I believe (he said nobody invited him to fly out anywhere).

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Johansen was picked 4th and the Coyotes had the 13th pick. I don't think we lost out on him because of any deceitful dinner arrangements.
We had a deal in place to get him at pick 7.

Columbus "reached" to take him at 4.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Any word if Ottawa is bringing any D to town? I saw they invited Zadina, Tkachuk, and Svechnikov.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
@hbk do you have any details on this?
It was in an article years ago. I don’t know who what we were paying in terms of asset(S) or picks to move up from 13. We also tried to trade up around 10 to get Fowler. We’ve been talking about it for years. Ask morgan he likely broke the story.

Lilhoody

Nov 25, 2016
Peoria, AZ
So it is totally baseless but Babcock has travelled to Phoenix and is meeting with Matthews to talk things out. Friedman commented on a small rift that needs to be hashed out. Obviously Matthews wants to play at home (in Arizona). Now Chayka's comments about a trade that needed to wait until the summer to materialize makes all kind of sense. Toronto could not trade Matthews in season while the team was fighting for playoff positioning. Now, Mark Hunter is likely to be the new Maple Leaf GM. He wants to reunite his London Knights alumni. He trades Matthews for Domi, Dvorak and the #5 pick (Bouchard).

:sarcasm:

He also traveled to Denmark to meet with Andersen. Regardless, that's is a great theory and I'd be ecstatic.

Vinny Boombatz

formerly ctwin22
Mar 21, 2008
Chandler, AZ
Yes, if Svech or Zadina don't drop then yes, Wahlstrom all day long. Imagine having Ovielite taking 1-timers on the PP, the PP alone would be worth it. Keller would feed him all day long. OEL at the point, Wahlstrom set up in Ovie's kitchen and Keller on the opposite side, it would be a thing of beauty.

Reactions: Yandover

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
If we get Dahlin or Svech, I'm buying myself a bottle of champagne. If we get Kotkaniemi or Zadina, I'm buying my favourite bottle of wine. If we get Wahlstrom, I'll give my dog a high five and check the fridge for some orange juice.

NucksRock

May 16, 2018
Yes, if Svech or Zadina don't drop then yes, Wahlstrom all day long. Imagine having Ovielite taking 1-timers on the PP, the PP alone would be worth it. Keller would feed him all day long. OEL at the point, Wahlstrom set up in Ovie's kitchen and Keller on the opposite side, it would be a thing of beauty.

Question for you and other Yotes fans....as Nucks and Oiler fan...what do people here think the Yotes primary need is? Winger? Center? Dman? Trying to figure out who they would "likely" target.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Question for you and other Yotes fans....as Nucks and Oiler fan...what do people here think the Yotes primary need is? Winger? Center? Dman? Trying to figure out who they would "likely" target.

BPA. RW is the only preference I'd imagine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad