GDT: 2018 NHL Awards Discussion - 8PM - NBCSN/Sportsnet

Status
Not open for further replies.

Little Psycho

I solemnly swear I'm up to no good
Feb 4, 2007
Non-Yah
Hart: Taylor Hall, Nathan MacKinnon, Anze Kopitar ( Even though I think Kopitar deserves it)
Vezina: Pekka Rinne, Connor Hellebuyck, Andrei Vasilevsky
Selke: Sean Couturier, Anze Kopitar, Patrice Bergeron
Norris: Victor Hedman, Drew Doughty, P.K Subban
Byng: William Karlsson, Alexander Barkov, Ryan O' Reilly
Lindsay: Nathan MacKinnon, Taylor Hall, Connor McDavid
Calder: Brock Boeser, Mathew Barzal, Clayton Keller
Masterton: Jordan Staal, Roberto Luongo, Brian Boyle
Clancy: The Sedin Twins, P.K Subban, Jason Zucker

Reactions: King Trouty

Hockey Outsider

Jan 16, 2005
Interesting (?) fact: this is the first time since the 1949-50 season that none of the top three scorers are Hart finalists.

Another fact (of questionable interest): , Patrice Bergeron now has more seasons as a Selke finalist than any other player (this is his seventh time; Carbonneau, Ramsay, Lehtinen and Datsyuk have been finalists six times each).

TheBradyBunch

Dec 17, 2008
Hart: Taylor Hall
Vezina: Pekka Rinne
Selke: Anze Kopitar
Norris: Victor Hedman
Byng: Ryan O' Reilly
Lindsay: Connor McDavid
Calder: Mathew Barzal
Masterton: Brian Boyle
Clancy: The Sedin Twins
Adams: Gerard Gallant

Norris and Hart imo will be the most closely contested of the major awards. I have Doughty and Hedman dead-even for the Norris but went with Hedman due to the fact that he hasn't won it yet. Subban had a great year as well.​

Reactions: Critical

Kelly

Nov 12, 2012
Hart: Nathan MacKinnon
Vezina: Pekka Rinne
Selke: Anze Kopitar
Byng: Ryan O'Reilly
Lindsay: Connor McDavid
Masterton: Brian Boyle

HockeyFan100

Oct 7, 2012
Hart: MacKinnon
Vezina: Rinne
Selke: Kopitar
Norris: Hedman
Byng: O'Reilly
Lindsay: McDavid
Calder: Barzal
Masterton: Boyle
Clancy: Sedins
Adams: Gallant
Best GM: McPhee
Messier: Wheeler

Silky mitts

It’s yours boys and girls and babes let’s go!
Mar 9, 2004
I can’t get past the fact that none of the top 4 in points, top 8 in goals, or top 5 in guys I’d vote for got nominated for Hart

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
Hart: Taylor Hall
Vezina: Connor Hellebuyck
Selke: Sean Couturier
Byng: William Karlsson
Lindsay: Taylor Hall
Masterton: Jordan Staal (should be Erik Karlsson tbh)

Finalists for other NHL Awards

Adams: Gerard Gallant
Best GM: George McPhee (Coming from a Jets fan!)
Messier: Derek Engelland

Avs71

Aug 12, 2008
Because for some reason the dialogue surrounding the Hart became "best player on a bubble playoff team" this year.
I am assuming you are an Oilers fan based on your profile picture.

The day the Oilers were mathematically eliminated from the playoffs, this was the scoring race:

Kucherov-71 games played, 94 points
MacKinnon- 65 games played, 91 points
McDavid-71 games played, 90 points

McDavid put up 18 points in 11 “meaningless” games to close out the season, and win the scoring race. My guess is the rest of the hockey world puts less stock into him leading the league in points because he had an unreal hot streak to end the year, but it was when the games no longer mattered for Edmonton.

BlueBull

Habby Man
Oct 11, 2017
Vancouver Island

The day the Oilers were mathematically eliminated from the playoffs, this was the scoring race:

McDavid put up 18 points in 11 “meaningless” games to close out the season, and win the scoring race. My guess is the rest of the hockey world puts less stock into him leading the league in points because he had an unreal hot streak to end the year, but it was when the games no longer mattered for Edmonton.
I see what you're saying. good point
---------------
Just a note from your friend BlueBull: The difference between the Hart and the Lindsay!
The Hart is for the MVP. The Lindsay is for the MOP (Most Outstanding Player)
It would be MacKinnon or Hall for Hart in that Case.
MOP, however, that would belong to McDavid. McDavid is the first Back to Back Art Ross Champion since the 19 year era or so from 1980-1999 when only 3 Hockey Players won the Art Ross. McDavid deserves Top 5 in MVP Voting, but McDavid also deserves to win the Ted Lindsay

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
Interesting (?) fact: this is the first time since the 1949-50 season that none of the top three scorers are Hart finalists.

Another fact (of questionable interest): , Patrice Bergeron now has more seasons as a Selke finalist than any other player (this is his seventh time; Carbonneau, Ramsay, Lehtinen and Datsyuk have been finalists six times each).
As a major Bergeron fan, I don't find it questionable at all. :laugh:

Out of curiosity, where did you find this factoid? I've been wondering if there was any active player with seven consecutive finalist years for any award, but I can't seem to find a way to get the answer without a lot of research that I'm too lazy to do. ;)

Nico the Draft Riser

Devils, Rams, Hawks, Twins fan
Nov 18, 2017
If Hall doesnt win the Hart then the award doesnt actually mean what the league states it does and its just a secondary Lindsay award for whoever comes in 2nd behind McDavid

I mean seriously. Hall had a 26 and 9 game point streak all in 2018 during the playoff race and was 40 points up on his teammates. MacKinnon had five other teammates with 50+ points.

It really shouldn't take a second of thought to realize Hall is the exact definition of what the trophy should be. But the media doesnt care and votes for the greater stories.

Reactions: Chuck Norris Trophy

Zerotonine

Apr 23, 2017

McDavid went on a huge run last year in the last 20 or so games when the oilers took off and solidified there playoff position, so I'm just curious what's your narrative for that?????

Reactions: snipes

TheBradyBunch

Dec 17, 2008
McDavid went on a huge run last year in the last 20 or so games when the oilers took off and solidified there playoff position, so I'm just curious what's your narrative for that?????

Just guessing, but his narrative for that is probably "it happened in a previous season and therefore is irrelevant to determining his value in this season".

Hockey Outsider

Jan 16, 2005
As a major Bergeron fan, I don't find it questionable at all. :laugh:

Out of curiosity, where did you find this factoid? I've been wondering if there was any active player with seven consecutive finalist years for any award, but I can't seem to find a way to get the answer without a lot of research that I'm too lazy to do. ;)

I keep track of Selke trophy top fives in this thread - http://hfboards.mandatory.com/threads/selke-trophy-top-fives.1710627/. I'll update it for 2018 once we get the results tomorrow.

As for your question about most years as a consecutive finalist - for the Hart, the only players who have been finalists for at least five years are:

Gretzky 10x (1980 to 1989)
Orr 7x (1969 to 1975)
Howe 5x (1957 to 1961)
Hull 5x (1964 to 1968)

And for the Norris:

Orr 9x (1968 to 1975)
Bourque 7x (1990 to 1996)
Pilote 6x (1963 to 1967)
Lidstrom 6x (1998 to 2003)
Harvey 5x (1954 to 1958)
Park 5x (1970 to 1974)
Potvin 5x (1975 to 1979)
Robinson 5x (1977 to 1981)

Reactions: Bruinaura

frag2

Mar 8, 2006

Do you even know who votes for the Hart?
It's only the media. The same media who couldn't follow a memo regarding which position Ovechkin played at.

That's not "rest of the hockey world"

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
I keep track of Selke trophy top fives in this thread - http://hfboards.mandatory.com/threads/selke-trophy-top-fives.1710627/. I'll update it for 2018 once we get the results tomorrow.

As for your question about most years as a consecutive finalist - for the Hart, the only players who have been finalists for at least five years are:

Gretzky 10x (1980 to 1989)
Orr 7x (1969 to 1975)
Howe 5x (1957 to 1961)
Hull 5x (1964 to 1968)

And for the Norris:

Orr 9x (1968 to 1975)
Bourque 7x (1990 to 1996)
Pilote 6x (1963 to 1967)
Lidstrom 6x (1998 to 2003)
Harvey 5x (1954 to 1958)
Park 5x (1970 to 1974)
Potvin 5x (1975 to 1979)
Robinson 5x (1977 to 1981)
Cool! Thanks for the info! :)

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015
Don’t get all the McPhee love.
He got to pick guys who were already NHL
ready.
I say Chevy gets GM award as long as it has taken he did put together a pretty good roster

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
Don’t get all the McPhee love.
He got to pick guys who were already NHL
ready.
I say Chevy gets GM award as long as it has taken he did put together a pretty good roster
I know, the guy's job was so easy. I remember everyone coming into this season had Vegas as one of the top cup contenders, I mean it's not like they were a 500/1 shot with the bookies or something.

Reactions: gertbfrobe16
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad