NFL: 2018 NFL off-season news & notes thread (Vikings sign Hunter to big extension)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid
The OL is fine. Norwell/Turner are two of the best guards in the game, and Daryl Williams has been one of the best-graded RTs this year. They're not cutting Matt after just signing him to a large deal (which probably wouldn't sit well with Ryan). They also just drafted Taylor Moton last year. They could maybe use a center to develop, but for better or worse, this is who they're going to roll out. The problem is none of their backs are at all capable of pass blocking, so if they're not getting it done with 5 (plus whatever TEs they keep in), they're probably not getting it done.
I pretty much agree with you on the OL. I just think we need to take a tackle and center early (before 4th round) in the next 2 drafts.

But those can wait if it means we're upgrading our WR and secondary next season.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
As someone who loves watching Cam play, I suggest they don't hire Norv. That's not the way to go if you want to run a more modern and creative offense.

Its not Norv they are looking at

Its Ron ,, Remember the guy who abandoned run and let Grossman start throwing in the rain during SB in 3rd qtr because the Colts had taken such a decisive lead (19-14)

2 INT's (One returned for TD) and a Rex fumble later and Manning/Dungy were champs

One of the worst coaching performances in NFL history along with potentially the worst performance by a QB in SB history

Seriously cant believe he stopped running ball when we had Thomas Jones and let Rex f***ing Grossman start throwing ball in rain

Last edited:

What the Faulk

You'll know when you go
May 30, 2005
North Carolina
With you not liking it. That doesn’t sound good.

I think we can get by with the right calls with what we have, and obviously less usage of Stewart. Obviously that is key on developing the players what we have. I really like Samuel and Byrd. Of course Olsen still needs to play at a high level, which I feel he can for at least a few more years as long as he avoids injury.

Cmc showed what he can do, we just need to utilize it a bit more. It seemed whenever he was on the field; he was a threat.

Regarding the line, I agree with you. Williams played well, Norwell and Turner are solid players. And the Kalil brothers are here too. We just need to draft and develop there too. If one of our backs could block or even chip block a little more I feel we’d be better off.

Cam showed a lot working with the core down the stretch. I just hope we get some secondary help and dont draft another lineman in the first round.

Yeah, this team is screaming for a safety in the first and IMO a CB in the 2nd (or vice versa if the draft plays out the other way). I think that's got to be priority number one this offseason.

As someone who loves watching Cam play, I suggest they don't hire Norv. That's not the way to go if you want to run a more modern and creative offense.

There are a couple potential red flags with Turner. He’s 65 and he left his last job abruptly, although he told MMQB’s Albert Breer he left because he and coach Mike Zimmer weren’t on the same page as far as the offense’s direction.

That wouldn’t be the case in Carolina, where Rivera has often spoken about his admiration for Turner, who recommended Rivera for the job with the Panthers.

I’d actually be surprised if this doesn’t happen. And soon.

I was open to the idea of hiring Norv before he took the Vikings gig, but now I'm not sure.

I pretty much agree with you on the OL. I just think we need to take a tackle and center early (before 4th round) in the next 2 drafts.

But those can wait if it means we're upgrading our WR and secondary next season.

In addition to what I said above, I'd probably look at taking a RB in the 3rd-4th, a QB somewhere (Anderson is 35), a K if they don't keep Gano, and an athletic TE to complement Olsen

rangerssharks414

Mar 9, 2010
Long Island, NY
Its not Norv they are looking at

Its Ron ,, Remember the guy who abandoned run and let Grossman start throwing in the rain during SB in 3rd qtr because the Colts had taken such a decisive lead (19-14)

2 INT's (One returned for TD) and a Rex fumble later and Manning/Dungy were champs

One of the worst coaching performances in NFL history along with potentially the worst performance by a QB in SB history

Seriously cant believe he stopped running ball when we had Thomas Jones and let Rex ****ing Grossman start throwing ball in rain

Nope.

Why Panthers coach Ron Rivera could move quickly to hire Norv Turner

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
That Panthers offense could be scary next year. Another year of growth for McCaffery, healthy receivers. All they need to do is find a way to add a more appropriate lead WR and the Panthers are probably 1/2 seed level good. (draft seems likely to address that i would imagine)

Outside of McCaffery and Funchess, maybe Olson, theres nothing else in the receiving department. They have done a piss poor job of giving Newton any offensive support. Olson did nothing in the 7 games he did play and is likely done with the 1,000 yard/6 TD seasons.

In their division alone the Saints/Falcons offence is better, and the Bucs OFF certainly has the potential to be.

I mean is Newton to blame for offensive struggles in any way? I would say yes

And if its coaches paying price for his struggles then it is infact them being used as scapegoats

Newton hasn't been good QB these last two years

Its also a matter of that being Newtons peak season, not confident he will ever reach those heights again. People got all hyped up over one season like they always do.

What the Faulk

You'll know when you go
May 30, 2005
North Carolina
Hate dignifying certain posters with a response, but Byrd and Samuel are fine as two of the 2-4 guys. Their problem (so far) is an inability to stay healthy.

And in two of OlsEn's last four games, he went for 100+ and a score. He absolutely can still be a 1,000 yard guy.

Not surprising. Cam may be an average passer, but this is what makes him an effective QB.

Reactions: SnS

Gene Parmesan

Dedicated to babies who came feet first
Jul 23, 2009
California
Volume and archaic stat lovers like BWC ignore advanced metrics that put Cam and other QB's in perspective. He'd probably pick Empty Calorie Kirk over Cam.

Gene Parmesan

Jul 23, 2009
California
Cam is average to below average in the 1-5 yards but he's one of the best in the league 10+ which matters way more in winning football games.

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
I'd take Cam just for the versatility he provides. One of the few guys you can call a designed QB run for and have him run like an RB in both speed and strength. Makes a job easier for his offensive teammates just because of the fact the defense almost always has to have a spy on him, thus clearing room for other guys a bit.

My only concern with him going forward is how long could his body hold up given he's putting it on the line more than the average QB imo.

What the Faulk

You'll know when you go
May 30, 2005
North Carolina
^ Yeah, was just about to post that. There's a lot of smoke there already. I'm setting my expectations at it being Norv. I don't love it, but I think going from Shula to Norv is a net positive.

EDIT:

I'd take Cam just for the versatility he provides. One of the few guys you can call a designed QB run for and have him run like an RB in both speed and strength. Makes a job easier for his offensive teammates just because of the fact the defense almost always has to have a spy on him, thus clearing room for other guys a bit.

My only concern with him going forward is how long could his body hold up given he's putting it on the line more than the average QB imo.

Surprisingly he's only missed 3 games in his career (though he played through that shoulder injury in 2016 and probably should have missed ~4 there). One was due to the concussion against Atlanta and one was due to the car accident. The last was a bit of a late hit he took in a preseason game against the Patriots in 2014 when he picked up a rib injury. Oddly enough, every game he's missed in his career came against Tampa.

He's putting himself in better position over the last few years where he's sliding more and not taking too many tough hits when he runs. I also think he still wears a pretty thick flak jacket. I'd be more worried about a leg getting taken out from a blindside rush than him taking too many hits on a run, to be honest.

Last edited:

What the Faulk

You'll know when you go
May 30, 2005
North Carolina
Cam is average to below average in the 1-5 yards but he's one of the best in the league 10+ which matters way more in winning football games.

Yup. When he starts clicking with McCaffrey (I believe there were a ton of yards and scores left on the field this year), that bottom line should rise. And they need to figure out a deep threat to replace Ginn. 2015 showed just how good he can be when throwing downfield (and Ginn left hundreds of yards and scores on the field that year as well). Carolina was one of the most explosive teams in the league due to how well Cam was throwing those bombs. Felt like every week someone was going for a 50+ yard score. He's only going to be 29, so he's still well within his peak to have another MVP type season.

Unfortunately, the law of the Panthers says they're going to win 15 games or 5 next year. The most inconsistent team in the league by far added to their volatility.

Gene Parmesan

Jul 23, 2009
California
That's such a depressing hire. Dinosaur thinking from Rivera. Power run game and ball control..like McVay and Shanahan? Hire Matt LaFleur (who McVay said he'd not block if a team inquired about him). Ron says nah, lemme try 1979 again.

What the Faulk

You'll know when you go
May 30, 2005
North Carolina
That's such a depressing hire. Dinosaur thinking from Rivera. Power run game and ball control..like McVay and Shanahan? Hire Matt LaFleur (who McVay said he'd not block if a team inquired about him). Ron says nah, lemme try 1979 again.

It's a conservative hire from a conservative coach. Riverboat Ron is a lie.

Would LaFleur leave LA to do the same job in Carolina, though? It feels like it'd be pretty lateral for him.

Norv's brother Ron is already an offensive consultant, so I guess they're gonna turn the Panthers into the Carolina Turners?

Gene Parmesan

Jul 23, 2009
California
He's OC in title only and I'm assuming in administration duties (organizing film sessions, position meetings etc) but McVay designs the scheme and calls all the plays. I think he'd jump at the chance to coach Cam.

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
I can't imagine a Norv Turner offense is going to work too well when your RBs are Stewart and McCaffrey. What they ought to do is hire Matt Canada.

What the Faulk

You'll know when you go
May 30, 2005
North Carolina
I can't imagine a Norv Turner offense is going to work too well when your RBs are Stewart and McCaffrey. What they ought to do is hire Matt Canada.

I could definitely see Fozzy and CAP getting cut (only ~$2m combined, but they never play) and them taking a back in the mid rounds and let Stewart become even more of a part time player.

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid
Give me a Kareem Hunt or Alvin Kamara like RB and I'll be ecstatic. Easier said than done, especially at where those players were picked.

What the Faulk

You'll know when you go
May 30, 2005
North Carolina
Give me a Kareem Hunt or Alvin Kamara like RB and I'll be ecstatic. Easier said than done, especially at where those players were picked.

Oddly enough

If the Jets took McCaffrey (everyone had them in on Fournette), and Adams slipped to Carolina, I think he's the pick and they take at 40 or maybe 64. Oh well, I'm still happy with CMC. Hopefully guys like Samuel, Daeshon Hall, and Corn Elder are able to contribute in year 2 after missing most of this season on IR.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Hate dignifying certain posters with a response, but Byrd and Samuel are fine as two of the 2-4 guys. Their problem (so far) is an inability to stay healthy.

And in two of OlsEn's last four games, he went for 100+ and a score. He absolutely can still be a 1,000 yard guy..

Fine will get you to the playoffs which is good.

But to be on the level of, and to compete with the Patriots/Saints/Steelers/Falcons etc you need better guys then what they have. More offensive depth.

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
I'm sure the Panthers are aware of that, hence how he said "2-4 guys"

The market has a couple potential options for the Panthers. Mike Wallace is an FA, and while not a legit #1 WR, he can run really, really fast in a straight line. Might help them stretch the field a bit.

Sammy Watkins would be the other, but his health is a major concern, though he would give Panthers a sorely needed second red zone target besides Olsen.

Honestly with that being the market, i'd probably just roll with what they have for now. Wallace sucks imo and Watkins probably isn't going to be worth the money he gets.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Allen Robinson, Jarvis Landry, Sammy Watkins, Marqise Lee, and Paul Richardson could be UFAs unless they're signed or tagged. There's lower level guys coming off down years too like Terrelle Pryor, John Brown, Donte Moncrief, and Jordan Matthews.

I think Robinson is easily the best there if he's fully recovered from his injury. Richardson isn't a #1 but he could be a good fit with Cam. I probably wouldn't trust any of those cheaper options but that's why they'd come cheap.

Gene Parmesan

Jul 23, 2009
California
Watkins was a big reason why Woods and Kupp had so much room. McVay used him like he used DeSean. So his numbers may not jump off the page but he changes your offense.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad