NFL: 2018 NFL off-season news & notes thread (Vikings sign Hunter to big extension)

Status
Not open for further replies.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
on an unrelated note.. i wonder how good le'veon bell would be in OZ scheme, kubiak/shanahan offense.

his vision and burst should be fit but is his patience 'too much' eg. is the tempo too fast for his patient wait for the holes style? as OZ runners are usually one-cut and go types. i recall chip kelly not liking mccoy's style, for example.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Yea the Pats could have moved Jimmy G last year at the draft for maybe a late first or 2nd and a 3rd, but then what would have happened if Brady tore his ACL in training camp and was done for the year? They'd have Brissett, whos ok but clearly not as good as Garoppolo. They kept him as an insurance policy, this is what you do when your the reigning champs and the best team in the league. They knew if something happened to Brady they'd still have a solid option at QB and I really can't fault them for that. I saw the Packers force Favre to retire and the relationship did not heal until two years ago.

Yes, I am fully aware Brady could have easily hurt himself after mid season but that's not the point.

Reactions: Scandale du Jour

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
Yea the Pats could have moved Jimmy G last year at the draft for maybe a late first or 2nd and a 3rd, but then what would have happened if Brady tore his ACL in training camp and was done for the year? They'd have Brissett, whos ok but clearly not as good as Garoppolo. They kept him as an insurance policy, this is what you do when your the reigning champs and the best team in the league. They knew if something happened to Brady they'd still have a solid option at QB and I really can't fault them for that. I saw the Packers force Favre to retire and the relationship did not heal until two years ago.

Yes, I am fully aware Brady could have easily hurt himself after mid season but that's not the point.

i think the scenario presented in the article is at least as plausible. now they have only hoyer as backup. eg. if brady goes down, they're toast. schefter himself was adamant that garoppolo wouldn't be traded around the draft, after claiming earlier that they would get high 1st for him. as in they were going to keep him unless they blown away with an offer.. then they trade brissett before the season starts. then they trade him for a 2nd when AJ mccarron at the same time was going for a 2nd and 3rd.. they'd have had the cap space to keep him, if absolutely necesseary.

belichick shipped away guys like seymour without addressing them in press conference (iirc).. but then has one for jimmy G, saying stuff like this

We probably had in my mind, the best quarterback situation in the league for the last 2 1/2 years. It is just not sustainable the way things are set up. Not something we wanted to walk away from. I felt we rode it out as long as we could, over a period of time, explored every option possible to sustain it. At this point, felt like we had to make a decision. Very complex situation on multiple levels. This is really the last window that we had, we did what we felt was best for the team. There were many things involved in this whole process."

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid
I'm surprised ESPN has played so many people into paying attention to their "journalism" again. With their success this time, I expect to see a lot more of these types of stories soon. At least reading people's wildly varying interpretations of these stories is and will be fun.

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
Pats fans are going to especially freak out about this story.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/giants/bill-belichick-sees-opening-coach-giants-source-article-1.3739643

Can Bill Belichick, yes Bill Belichick, be the next coach of the Giants? With a report of turmoil in New England involving him, Tom Brady and Robert Kraft, it certainly seems feasible.

“I’m sure Bill knows this is his last chance to be the Giants coach,” a source close to Belichick said Friday. “Bill sees an opening — an opening to get to the Giants.”

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
Belichick coaching the Giants would just be the most ridiculous thing to happen years.

Not as ridiculous as him going back to Cleveland.

Imagine the Browns coming to their senses, finally dumping Jackson, and bringing back Bill Belichick. The NFL would be turned on its' axis. :laugh:

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC
Belichick coaching the Giants would just be the most ridiculous thing to happen years.

If Bill wants to head back to the Giants, why not?! I'm sure past Giants players would be okay with this, he can whip that team into shape from the debacle that was 2017.

He has history with the Giants and if there's an itch to go back there, all the power to him.

I remember before the old Giants Stadium was demolished, Belichick went back there to give his memories of the place..got pretty emotional as he coached up alot of guys.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
DS3Bip8XUAI302i.jpg

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
i think the scenario presented in the article is at least as plausible. now they have only hoyer as backup. eg. if brady goes down, they're toast. schefter himself was adamant that garoppolo wouldn't be traded around the draft, after claiming earlier that they would get high 1st for him. as in they were going to keep him unless they blown away with an offer.. then they trade brissett before the season starts. then they trade him for a 2nd when AJ mccarron at the same time was going for a 2nd and 3rd.. they'd have had the cap space to keep him, if absolutely necesseary.

belichick shipped away guys like seymour without addressing them in press conference (iirc).. but then has one for jimmy G, saying stuff like this

Its tough to say, because there are few people who really know what happened.

Will the Giants pay an arm and a leg for him tho? He's under contract and the Pats aren't letting the best coach ever leave for free. He cost Kraft a 1st round pick 17 years ago, so you can expect that to be the starting point.

Still doubt it'll happen. This "alleged turmoil" could all be farce (aside from the Guerrero thing, which we already knew about) and just a ploy to try and distract the defending champs/presumed champion.

Gene Parmesan

Dedicated to babies who came feet first
Jul 23, 2009
California
on an unrelated note.. i wonder how good le'veon bell would be in OZ scheme, kubiak/shanahan offense.

his vision and burst should be fit but is his patience 'too much' eg. is the tempo too fast for his patient wait for the holes style? as OZ runners are usually one-cut and go types. i recall chip kelly not liking mccoy's style, for example.

Honestly I think Bell's style only works in Pittsburgh.

DangleCity

Jun 23, 2016
Couple things working against BB to the Giants, is the fact that BB has a reported two years left on his contract and the fact that the Giants just hired a new GM and BB would need to have full control of all personnel moves. Despite these things, it's not the craziest idea I've ever heard. The Giants should offer him part ownership of the team if they are serious about perusing him.

What the Faulk

You'll know when you go
May 30, 2005
North Carolina
Lol if the Browns trade for a 34-year-old Alex Smith. He needs a team that has some solid players in place but lacks a QB. If Buffalo wants to move on from Tyrod Taylor, that could be interesting.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Lol if the Browns trade for a 34-year-old Alex Smith. He needs a team that has some solid players in place but lacks a QB. If Buffalo wants to move on from Tyrod Taylor, that could be interesting.

If the Browns trade for Smith and draft Barkley at 4, they're going to be respectable on offense very quickly. Especially if they brought another WR to play outside and moved Coleman to the slot.

What the Faulk

You'll know when you go
May 30, 2005
North Carolina
If the Browns trade for Smith and draft Barkley at 4, they're going to be respectable on offense very quickly. Especially if they brought another WR to play outside and moved Coleman to the slot.

Eh, perhaps, but they'd still need a QB relatively soon. I don't think the current regime likes Kizer very much. Probably for good reason, but they should just use the 2nd or 3rd or whatever it'd take to get Smith on a QB if they don't take one at the top of the first.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad