NFL: 2018 NFL News & Notes discussion thread

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
Eli is a painfully average QB without those rings.

He's one of those guys that pile up a crapton of TD's not because he's elite, but because he hung around for a while. You look at the guys ahead of him on the all time list; Brees, Brady, Favre, Marino. All of those guys have decorated resumes (even Favre, for while he was a complier too he also won 3 MVPs and a Super Bowl) whereas Eli has...two rings. No individual accolades to speak of

His best seasons aren't even good enough to be considered MVP worthy because of the fact he throws a crapton of INTs (best statistically was 2015, but even then he still threw like 14 INTs)

Can you tell the story of the NFL without Eli? Yeah, considering the Giants defense did most of the heavy lifting in their two Super Bowl wins during his career

If Manning gets in over someone with a far better satistical track record like a Big Ben or Phillip Rivers because of "muh rings" then the Pro football hall of fame is just as clueless as the schmucks who run Cooperstown

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course

He's one of those guys that pile up a crapton of TD's not because he's elite, but because he hung around for a while. You look at the guys ahead of him on the all time list; Brees, Brady, Favre, Marino. All of those guys have decorated resumes (even Favre, for while he was a complier too he also won 3 MVPs and a Super Bowl) whereas Eli has...two rings. No individual accolades to speak of

His best seasons aren't even good enough to be considered MVP worthy because of the fact he throws a crapton of INTs (best statistically was 2015, but even then he still threw like 14 INTs)

Can you tell the story of the NFL without Eli? Yeah, considering the Giants defense did most of the heavy lifting in their two Super Bowl wins during his career

If Manning gets in over someone with a far better satistical track record like a Big Ben or Phillip Rivers because of "muh rings" then the Pro football hall of fame is just as clueless as the schmucks who run Cooperstown

big ben also has two rings.

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
Andy Reid must have had inside sources since he didn't move the team to practice on higher altitude.
I remember this coming up in the past. Maybe before a playoff game in Denver. The question was asked of the opposing coach who chose not to travel there earlier in the week, and he said his team doctors told him a couple of days at altitude doesn't do much to get your body acclimated to it. The team decided that disrupting their road trip routine would be too detrimental to the team's comfort level to overcome the slight benefit from being in town for an extra couple of days.

Say Hey Kid

MI retired Nick Saban
Dec 10, 2007
Bathory, GA
John Henderson had trainers slap him across the face as hard as they could before games. Chris Spielman walked around with smelling salts in his nose before games.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland

Eli is more a HOF then little game Phil

Eli's two championship runs are better then anything Phil has ever shown in his playoff career and its pretty laughable you bash Eli for lack of individual accolades and discount his SB MVP's because you don't like him and need to find way to somehow take those away

And when it comes to high profile failures Phil has a history of turning ball over at worst times and choking when it matters most

Eli + Big Ben are HOF QB's , Rivers is not

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
Sharkiest fantasy football move I ever made was the year Eli threw for 4900+ yards and 30 TDs. It wasn't even my league, I was drafting as proxy for a friend. This league had old school scoring held over from like 20 years ago when they did scoring on paper, so no PPR and QBs were not penalized for interceptions.

I just kept drafting WRs and RBs and completely ignored the QB position and every round peeps were like "He's gotta take a QB this time!" Nope. Finally in, I think it was, round 14 I take Eli and he wasn't even the next QB on the board. I think Josh Freeman or Matt Schaub, somebody like that was ahead of him. They're like "so Eli's gonna be your #1 QB?" I shrug shoulders and go, "I mean, you all told me there were no points for interceptions, so...."

My friend won the league championship with the team I drafted him, incredible roster for that year but a one-hit wonder for sure. Arian Foster, Wes Welker, Jimmy Graham in his breakout season, Stevie Johnson, Heyward-Bey in his one good year, it was nuts.

tony d

Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
Mayfield should be the starter for sure. The Browns are playing decent this yr. Stick with what's working and Mayfield.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street

Roethilisberger is getting in 100%... Rivers probably too but I wouldn't be shocked if he didn't.

Andy Reid must have had inside sources since he didn't move the team to practice on higher altitude.

I believe the issue was if one team gets to practice in Denver (the most comparable to MexCity) then both should, so the NFL decided neither team would get the advantage.

The only reason anybody ever mentions Eli as a possible HOFer is because he has two rings, which to me is the best argument against QBs being judged on their rings.

Eli's career completion percentage is barely above 60%. His career passer rating is 84. He led the league in interceptions three times.

And if you're into the whole "wins are a good measure of a QB" thing, his W-L % as a QB is only three games over .500.

If not for the two Super Bowls, he'd be Andy Dalton.

Aikman is in because of his (Emmitt's) 3 rings. It happens.

Bob Richards

Mr. Mojo Risin'
Feb 9, 2011
Jersey
I feel like Rivers should definitely get in.

Also half of the seating at that ceremony will have to be allocated to his children.

Big Poppa Puck

HF's Villain
Dec 8, 2009
D-Boss' Dungeon
I'd take Rivers over Eli 10/10 times.

He never had the defenses Eli had, his best teams were coached by Norv freaking Turner and then theres the Marlon McCree fiasco.

Yes Eli's team won 2 Super Bowls but Rivers is the better player.

Eli is for sure getting in because of those Super Bowls. If Eli you take away Eli's Super Bowls and go on play/talent alone he doesn't come close to getting in. Rivers might still get in with even without any SBs

A lot of great QBs are gonna move down the record list because of the way the game is played today. Guys like Stafford and others in the future are gonna shatter the numbers of guys like Marino and Tarkenton who were beasts of their time and those type guys may even compile enough to pass Brady, Brees and Manning at some point.

Not to mention Joe Namath is only in the HOF because of his D and Earl Morrall choking

Talk about a SB MVP that should never have happened

Don't forget the guarantee and finger wag!

Namath is in because of narrative.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bozle

sigma six

Doesn't need stick tape
Aug 2, 2005
Cascadia

He never had the defenses Eli had, his best teams were coached by Norv freaking Turner and then theres the Marlon McCree fiasco.

Plus Rivers is still going strong, whereas Eli on the other hand...there's a pretty serious contrast in their capabilities at this point, considering they were drafted within minutes of each other.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street

Eli is for sure getting in because of those Super Bowls. If Eli you take away Eli's Super Bowls and go on play/talent alone he doesn't come close to getting in. Rivers might still get in with even without any SBs

A lot of great QBs are gonna move down the record list because of the way the game is played today. Guys like Stafford and others in the future are gonna shatter the numbers of guys like Marino and Tarkenton who were beasts of their time and those type guys may even compile enough to pass Brady, Brees and Manning at some point.

He never had the defences Eli had but to be fair he had LD (top 5 RB of all time) and Gates (top 5 TE of all time). He just choked come playoff time.

Eli had a great defence for most of his career but like him or not, his playoff stats (mainly during the two championship runs) are great and he's had some pretty notable playoff moments.

Agreed. Also the Dan Marino.

I wouldn't go that far.

YEM

Mar 7, 2010
The only reason anybody ever mentions Eli as a possible HOFer is because he has two rings, which to me is the best argument against QBs being judged on their rings.

Eli's career completion percentage is barely above 60%. His career passer rating is 84. He led the league in interceptions three times.
Favre:
Completion percentage barely over 60% [62%]
career passer rating 86
led the league in interceptions 3 times
1 ring, 13-11 playoff record [Eli is 8-4, Rivers is 4-5]
Eli had a great defence for most of his career
really?
the years they won super bowls:
2007: 17th in points allowed per game, 7th in yards allowed per game
2011: 25th in points allowed per game ,26th in yards allowed per game

did they play great, and even excellent, in some of those playoff games? for sure
but no one is ever going to remember the Giants of the 00's as a top unit

Last edited:

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
Favre:
Completion percentage barely over 60% [62%]
career passer rating 86
led the league in interceptions 3 times
1 ring

That's a good point, and a fair criticism, and probably why you don't see Favre getting too many mentions on people's top 5 all-time QB lists.

But Favre also played 3/4ths of his career in a league where offenses were pretty crude compared to what they have been for most of Eli's career. 4400 yards and 38 TDs in 1995 is insane. That's like 5300 yards and 50 TDs today.

He also set all-time QB records and it's pretty impossible to ignore it when people do that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad