GDT: 2018 NFL Draft

canwincup

Aug 28, 2008
Van city
Do you guys think the cowboys should have paid the price to get Derwin James? Not sold on LVE, loved our second and third round picks though and picking up Bo Scarborough late, that's some serious backfield beef with Zeke, Rod Smith and him

I think Linebacker is a bigger need than strong safety.

If LVE learns how to fight off blocks more consistently he’ll be a a great starting mike

Gene Parmesan

Dedicated to babies who came feet first
Jul 23, 2009
California
I think Linebacker is a bigger need than strong safety.

If LVE learns how to fight off blocks more consistently he’ll be a a great starting mike

He's fine getting off blocks. He just needs more reps in general. Not a lot of experience despite his age.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
I've been watching and reading up on Holton Hill and I'm way too excited about a UDFA now. He looks like a complete corner and has the measurables Zimmer looks for. Unless I'm missing something, it sounds like his drop was because he just couldn't stay off the weed and apparently he may have failed as many as 10 drug tests. He might be a player for the Vikings if he can stay clean.

Gene Parmesan

Jul 23, 2009
California
I've been watching and reading up on Holton Hill and I'm way too excited about a UDFA now. He looks like a complete corner and has the measurables Zimmer looks for. Unless I'm missing something, it sounds like his drop was because he just couldn't stay off the weed and apparently he may have failed as many as 10 drug tests. He might be a player for the Vikings if he can stay clean.

It wasn't just drug tests. He rolled with sketchy company.

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
The Browns have added several dudes with character problems. I guess when you are as bad as they are, you can’t afford to have standards. If a guy can play, he’ll get a chance.

Gene Parmesan

Jul 23, 2009
California
The Browns have added several dudes with character problems. I guess when you are as bad as they are, you can’t afford to have standards. If a guy can play, he’ll get a chance.

Aaron Hernandez will always be the poster boy for ignoring red flags during the draft process.

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
lol Saints trade a first-rounder to go up for a DE, after the NFLN spends two minutes teasing Lamar Jackson. Was hoping it was Lamar so the Pats wouldn't get him, oh well :P

The funniest thing about this is that every Saints fan on the planet knew they were hot after Davenport. It was pretty much the worst-kept secret of the draft if you were looking at Saints stuff online.

My Redskin fan friend texted me after the trade "You're getting Lamar Jackson!" Me: "Nope. passrusher. Davenport from UTSA". Him: "Haha very funny, they wouldn't be trading up that high if it wasn't a QB." Me: "Fine don't believe me, see if I care." Two seconds after the pick: "Oh my God dude, how did you know that?"

Apparently Sean Payton was hanging out with Jordan Spieth like Tuesday and told him that Davenport was their #1 target. Spieth told some random Saints fan, he called into a sports talk radio show. In the meantime, some other guy on the big Saints message board had insider info saying the same thing. There was a 20-page thread on Davenport on one of the big Saints message boards 5 hours before the draft even started.

Amazes me how these TV guys can be so out of touch. I know they have a lot of ground to cover but you think they'd at least check the message boards, Twitter and so on while the team was on the clock.

AtlantaWhaler

Thrash/Preds/Sabres
Jul 3, 2009
Do you have any idea how many message boards there are? Seriously.

What's your take on our draft?

I love the talent we were able to get. Ridley at 26 is amazing and Oliver falling to us in the 2nd is as amazing. I'm not upset about waiting until the 3rd to get our DT

But I'm bummed about having to put up with a crap O-Line again. I felt that this is our biggest need (even bigger than a DT) and we did nothing.

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
What's your take on our draft?

I love the talent we were able to get. Ridley at 26 is amazing and Oliver falling to us in the 2nd is as amazing. I'm not upset about waiting until the 3rd to get our DT

But I'm bummed about having to put up with a crap O-Line again. I felt that this is our biggest need (even bigger than a DT) and we did nothing.

I think I said the same thing somewhere; the first 3 picks I like, the others all look like people picked specifically to play special teams.

I like Ridley, I think he is the best WR in the class. But Hernandez was still there and he will be a good player for 10 years at guard.

They did sign G Brandon Fusco from the Niners. I know he was better after Jimmy G started. so I hope his improvement may have helped. I defer to 49er fans who I would like to hear from

Reactions: AtlantaWhaler

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Twitter tells me the Vikings are killing it in the UDFA process after an underwhelming draft.

Jeff Badet, WR
Garret Dooley, LB
Tray Matthews, S
Korey Robertson, WR
Jake Wieneke, WR
Holton Hill, CB
Mike Boone, RB
Hercules Mata’afa, DE
Tyler Hoopes, TE
Kamryn Pettway, RB

It sounds like they got RB Roc Thomas as well, who has a shot to stick around. Discount version of McKinnon.

Big Poppa Puck

HF's Villain
Dec 8, 2009
D-Boss' Dungeon
Wasn’t completely thrilled with the Vikings draft, but didn’t hate it either.

I like the Hughes pick, but they needed OL more, I probably would have went with James Daniels or Will Hernandez. They did wind up with O’Neill in RD2 but he needs work and is not a day 1 starter. Then didn’t address it again til Gossett, who might be a steal in the 6th, but also isn’t helping us day 1 either.

Jalyn Holmes was an alright pick and Aruna is one of those athletes you see if you can coach into something. I absolutely hate hate hate the Carlson pick. I just don’t like selecting Kickers before round 7, if at all, and traded up for him no less. I also hated the picks of Blair Walsh and Jeff Locke in the past too and both wound up being terrible (well Walsh was good in 12 and 13 but then blew). I don’t have a ton of faith in Forbath but I’m sure there was a UDFA or vet out there they could have brought in for competition.

From the UDFAs Holton Hill has mid-round talent talent if he can keep his head on straight and Pettway could beat out Ham for the FB job.

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
For people still interested in the Browns doing what they did at #1 and #4, a few interest notes have come out in the past day or two. I acknowledge these may be self serving things floated by the Browns.

1) Dorsey said Mayfield was his preferred QB going all the way back even to before the Browns hired him. Dorsey had attended six games Mayfield played in the fall, and Dorsey loved him. Everyone assumed Dorsey was in love with Josh Allen because Dorsey praised Allen on a podcast, but it was really Mayfield he wanted all along, which was a well kept secret.

2) During meetings with Mayfield and other quarterbacks, Mayfield apparently scored the best when analyzing defenses on the whiteboard. Apparently, Darnold struggled at this part of the interview process with the Browns. Mayfield did the best of all of these QBs and was the best at it a few Browns front office people ever interviewed.

3) The Browns don't think much of Chubb as a pass rusher. That's partly why they passed on him. They saw more value in a CB who will play every down over a rotational lineman. They also saw CB as a position with limited high end depth in this draft, so they didn't want to let their favorite one get away.

Going forward, it will be fun to watch the QBs and Chubb to see how right or wrong the Browns were in their evaluations.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
It sounds like they got RB Roc Thomas as well, who has a shot to stick around. Discount version of McKinnon.

I'm not familiar with him but that's interesting. The third string RB position should be wide open and they might need a scatback-type to start the season if they bring Cook along slowly after his injury.

Epsilon

#basta
Oct 26, 2002
South Cackalacky
For people still interested in the Browns doing what they did at #1 and #4, a few interest notes have come out in the past day or two. I acknowledge these may be self serving things floated by the Browns.

1) Dorsey said Mayfield was his preferred QB going all the way back even to before the Browns hired him. Dorsey had attended six games Mayfield played in the fall, and Dorsey loved him. Everyone assumed Dorsey was in love with Josh Allen because Dorsey praised Allen on a podcast, but it was really Mayfield he wanted all along, which was a well kept secret.

2) During meetings with Mayfield and other quarterbacks, Mayfield apparently scored the best when analyzing defenses on the whiteboard. Apparently, Darnold struggled at this part of the interview process with the Browns. Mayfield did the best of all of these QBs and was the best at it a few Browns front office people ever interviewed.

3) The Browns don't think much of Chubb as a pass rusher. That's partly why they passed on him. They saw more value in a CB who will play every down over a rotational lineman. They also saw CB as a position with limited high end depth in this draft, so they didn't want to let their favorite one get away.

Going forward, it will be fun to watch the QBs and Chubb to see how right or wrong the Browns were in their evaluations.

This feels like peak Browns: their red flag on Rosen was something a UCLA volleyball coach said:

Browns executive shines negative light on Josh Rosen, Josh Allen

“I was at an airport,” he said. “UCLA’s volleyball team was in front of me. You heard so much about Rosen. He’s this or that. We all know how people talk. So I asked one of the volleyball coaches, ‘What’s Rosen like?’ He said, ‘Aaaaa, you should probably ask his girlfriend. She’s one of the players. She’s over there.’

“I’m like, ‘All right coach. That’s good enough.’ I don’t know what all this means, but there was something about him that bothered me.”

That being said, I liked Mayfield as the pick for them.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad