GDT: 2018 NFL Draft

Kel Varnson

Oct 31, 2017
Some tidbits from the Chargers draft

The Chargers never expected James to fall to them and had he not they were set to take Taven Bryan @17 and even after Derwin fell there were still members in the war room who wanted to take Taven. Bryan was their top ranked DT ahead of both Vea & Payne and had he lasted to 31 they had a trade arranged with the Pats to go back up and get him.

In round 2 they were going to take Malik Jefferson (who they were linked with throughout the draft process) but several members of staff including the linebacker coach refused to give Jefferson their approval so the team ended up going with Nwosu instead.

Other players that the Chargers were linked with - BJ Hill, Derrick Nnadi and Royce Freeman - if any of these 3 had been available to the Chargers in the 3rd round they'd have been the pick. All three went before the Chargers were OTC and they ended up going with Jones.

Tyrell Crosby was considered in round 4 but his injury history led the Chargers to opt for Kyzir White instead.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm generally happy with the Chargers draft only pick I really had problems with was the Justin Jones pick in round 3 to me he's a bit of a tweener doesn't really have the strength to hold up as a 0-1 tech but lacks the pass rush of a 3 tech.

Also worth noting the team is not married to Melvin Gordon as their guy. Freeman would've been picked in round 3 to give them flexibility at the position potentially allowing Gordon to walk after this season. Will be interesting to see if he convinces them this year.

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
And now we have Baker Mayfield's agent claiming the Patriots would have traded up to #2 if the Browns passed on Mayfield.

"We knew the Jets at No. 3 was the bottom line," Mills said during an appearance on former NFL executive Andrew Brandt's podcast. "We had another team -- which is going to surprise you -- another team had said, 'You may get a big surprise on draft day at No. 2 if [Mayfield] is available.' It was the Patriots. They had (No.) 23 and they had (No.) 31, and they had two seconds, and I don't know. We thought, boy, that's going to be a heck of a move to get up that high from where they are. And of course, he wasn't available so we never knew if that was a reality or not."

Baker Mayfield's agent: Patriots were going to move up to No. 2 to draft QB if Browns hadn't taken him

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
And he said the Jets moved up to three because they thought Mayfield was going to drop to them and they took their 2nd choice.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Patriots would have had to have given up 1st round picks forever to do that

tony d

Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
I can see New England doing that. I'm actually surprised they didn't pick a QB until Rd. 7. Thought they might have went for Lamar Jackson at 31.

sigma six

Doesn't need stick tape
Aug 2, 2005
Cascadia
I just love the draft grades that come out before any of these guys have played a game. Nobody knows shit yet.:laugh:
After the dust settled, I actually didn't mind Seattle's draft -given what they had to work with.

Maybe I value a stud punter more than most (lol) but we also finally have a proper blocking TE to go with Pete's vow to improve the run game.
Maybe Penny went high, but SEA didn't have a second rd pick and it was plain that he was their guy. I also like Green at DE, feels like a potential Bennett replacement there.

Gene Parmesan

Dedicated to babies who came feet first
Jul 23, 2009
California
And now we have Baker Mayfield's agent claiming the Patriots would have traded up to #2 if the Browns passed on Mayfield.

Baker Mayfield's agent: Patriots were going to move up to No. 2 to draft QB if Browns hadn't taken him

A lot of these Mayfield stories are moreso about Lincoln Riley. Dude is a rising star. First year coach that replaced a legend at a blue blood and led then to the CFP? Also has a top recruiting class coming in 2019. Smart, innovative and relatable.

RedRenegade

Sep 16, 2008
Fair enough. First two being Mayfield and Ward I assume? Those are actually the two players I wanted them to take at 1 and 4, but I didn't expect either one to happen.

I agree with you on the draft grades, six sigma. We really don't know until we see it on the field. And considering the Browns track record I absolutely need to see it before I believe it at this point.

Reactions: sigma six

Gene Parmesan

Dedicated to babies who came feet first
Jul 23, 2009
California
Draft grades are dumb. Honestly the NFL draft media is quite a con and rackett. Basically throwing shit at a wall and acting as PR for certain prospects. Take Matt Miller from bleached report. Dude is good friends with the agent of Josh Allen. He pounded the table for Allen. Ironic.

Dominator13

Feb 20, 2003
hockey city
Dominator13
I love my Colts draft.

We'll have a solid offensive line for the 1st time in a long time. Nelson is a monster and I have full confidence that Braden Smith will be a RG starter on day 1.

Turay is a high potential raw talent that could become a star in a couple seasons.

Nyheim Hines is a speedster that could benefiet a lot of our new O-line and a be a 4th round RB steal.

Dominator13

Feb 20, 2003
hockey city
Dominator13
Nick Chubb was a great pick.
Bradley CHUBB would have been better
Nah. Cleveland has their franchise edge rusher already. The secondary was as abysmal as it gets, and that was before trading Mcourthy to NE. Ward could have a Lattimore type rookie season and was a major need.

The head scratchers for me was, 1) giving up on Danny Shelton so quickly for no apparent reason. 2) Not spending money on a true Joe Thomas replacement. No way that's Chris Hubbard.

Newsworthy

Jan 28, 2018
USA
Yeah I don't like the Shelton move.
As far as OT Goes they don't grow on trees. Maybe Brown's should have went Oline earlier in draft but this draft was weak at that position anyways

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad