GDT: 2018 MLB Regular Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

hockeykicker

Dec 3, 2014
Even as a Met fan, I'd say that was completely ridiculous. The ump even stood there after the game ended to see if anyone would say anything to him. Dude, get off the damn field, you sucked today.

i mean the ump wasant the main reason the nats lost today but an inside pitch like that getting called is stupid and really messes with a game regardless if its called both ways

hockeykicker

Dec 3, 2014

what the heck is this baloney?

according to this, marty foster felt that an ejection is worse then a fine

Bjorn Le

Hobocop
May 17, 2010
Martinaise, Revachol
If Joe West thinks that players will lose respect for an umpire if they don't throw out someone for something that happens a dozen times every game, I've got a nice piece of swamp I'll like to sell him.

Problem with officiating (in all sports) is the power of the officials union. They have a monopoly on high level officials, so they have literally all the bargaining power. If the league pisses them off, they can threaten a strike, and the minor league umpires, as a whole, are worse (and even if they were roughly the same, they would refuse to cross the picket lines in solidarity). Leaving you with a situation of either caving, or making high school and college umpires your replacements. It didn't work out so well for the NFL.

But this leads to the horrible situation of the umpire unions essentially vetoing any attempts at accountability. We do know there is some sort of discipline for umpires, but all the direct punishment is confidential and not disclosed to the players or fans. The only thing you can do overtly is to deny umpires playoff and all star games appearances. Then you get ridiculous situations like Angel Hernandez suing MLB for "racial discrimination", despite him being at the bottom of player polls on performance. All of these issues compound to a situation where there is no incentive for umpires to improve or self-reflect. Their incorrect calls, arrogance, and vanity are support by their union and de facto MLB. I'm OK with umpires making mistakes, it happens. I have a problem when they don't own them, and 99% of the time they don't. Why do umpires more or less have a job for life? The last purge of poor officials was almost 20 years ago, and I'm not sure there was ever one before that. I don't understand why umpires can't have a respectful relationship with players. It's clear how far along that goes, with Jim Joyce being universally regarded as one of the best umpires, no surprise given that he respected those he officiated and wasn't afraid to own his mistakes. Then you have idiots like Joe West, Bob Davidson, and Angel Herandez. It's honestly a disgrace and it's converting me to the option that robots should do the officiating.

Marc the Habs Fan

Nov 30, 2002
Longueuil
clownpound.jpg

Reactions: kingsholygrail

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
I think we need something stronger than a clown pounding for this. Absolutely absurd.

Unrelated note. Probably a decent call not to have Ziegler on my roster tonight. Not sure he's gonna get into the game tonight.

JWK

Report Spam @JWK on Twitter Plz
Mar 27, 2010
I would laugh at Eric Hosmer and his contract but Ian Desmond just hit another weak ground ball so

Came into this game with a 70% GB%!

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
Andrew McCutchen just had a 12 pitch at bat which he ended by hitting a walk off 3 run home run in the 14th inning.

6-7 today

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
I am really surprised everyone seemed to write the Giants off when Bum got hurt. I think they are a nice team without him and if they can tread water until his return, why not?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad