2018 MLB Regular Season Thread - Part 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sports Enthusiast

Not Here To Be Liked
Sep 19, 2010
Middle of nowhere
LOL. Braves have completly collapsed here. It's all tied up.

I want to know how they could even realistically sell this as a World Series preview. Atlanta has had a good year but it' more that the Nationals just really are a lazy talented team

The NL has no real threat to win the World Series outside of the Cubs and even then I still think the Cubs are a distant third. The Rockies could make noise if they win the division. They could probably give the cubs a good tough long LCS. Outside of that I don't see any of these plyoff team to be in the NL having any true potential.

Last edited by a moderator:

c9777666

Aug 31, 2016
I want to know how they could even realistically sell this as a World Series preview. Atlanta has had a good year but it' more that the Nationals just really are a lazy talented team

Philly arguably could be leading the division, but they have blown a ton of late leads.

The NL has no real threat to win the World Series outside of the Cubs and even then I still think the Cubs are a distant third. The Rockies could make noise if they win the division. They could probably give the cubs a good tough long LCS. Outside of that I don't see any of these plyoff team to be in the NL having any true potential.

Anything can happen in the randomness that is playoff baseball.

Like hockey, the best team does not always win

c9777666

Aug 31, 2016
With off days and matchups anyone who makes the playoffs can win the World Series.

See: 2014, when two Wild Card teams each with fewer than 90 wins made the World Series.

In 2012 we almost got two 87-win teams in the World Series.

Sports Enthusiast

Not Here To Be Liked
Sep 19, 2010
Middle of nowhere
Anything can happen in the randomness that is playoff baseball.

Like hockey, the best team does not always win

This is mostly due to hitters having time off. I like Colorado because they have 2 starters within the top 5 of lowest exit velocity. They can pitch. They can hit. Where as STL can pitch but not really hit and Milwaukee is mostly the opposite of that.

Marc the Habs Fan

Nov 30, 2002
Longueuil
The problem with your COL argument is that by run differential, they should be a sub .500 team.

I do like their rotation though in a short series.

Sports Enthusiast

Not Here To Be Liked
Sep 19, 2010
Middle of nowhere
See: 2014, when two Wild Card teams each with fewer than 90 wins made the World Series.

In 2012 we almost got two 87-win teams in the World Series.

One of them was the Giants though. It was an even year, became their 3rd title in 5 years. The most bizarre dynasty ever. Actually they made it in 2012 too as that 87 win team.

X factor is knowing how to win, that is huge.

c9777666

Aug 31, 2016
One of them was the Giants though. It was an even year, became their 3rd title in 5 years. The most bizarre dynasty ever. Actually they made it in 2012 too as that 87 win team.

X factor is knowing how to win, that is huge.

The 2012 Giants actually won 94 games. The Cardinals won 87 games that year and it was SF’ comeback from a 3-1 deficit which prevented the battle of 87 win teams

This is mostly due to hitters having time off. I like Colorado because they have 2 starters within the top 5 of lowest exit velocity. They can pitch. They can hit. Where as STL can pitch but not really hit and Milwaukee is mostly the opposite of that.

It’s hard to quantify what will happen.

The 2015 Royals won the World Series even though their starting pitching rotation was not exactly the stuff of legends.

Sports Enthusiast

Not Here To Be Liked
Sep 19, 2010
Middle of nowhere
The problem with your COL argument is that by run differential, they should be a sub .500 team.

I do like their rotation though in a short series.

Werent one of the recent Orioles teams really bad at run differential yet made the playoffs? I agree that a good team SHOULD outscore what they give up but theres so many games in a season. There will be blowouts each way. Scoring overall is decreasing as it's becoming more of a home run and strikeout game. So maybe you'rw losing those games but winning close ones.

I know it's football and a different sport but last year the Bills were -56 in point differential. Made the playoffs. Statistically one of the worst ever in that regard but an argument could be made that, this was because of a horrible 3 game stretch where they were outscored by some 80 points. Every team is going to likely have one or two bad games. I'm not justifying these games i'm just saying if you take them out of the equation for 13 games, which included 2 double digit losses to NE they were over 30 points to the good.

My point is maybe that stat doesn't tell the whole story. Like pitchers win/loss records. Whatever the case I dod see them play the Braves and the Dodgers within a week and win 6 of 8 I believe it was.

Sports Enthusiast

Not Here To Be Liked
Sep 19, 2010
Middle of nowhere
It’s hard to quantify what will happen.

The 2015 Royals won the World Series even though their starting pitching rotation was not exactly the stuff of legends.

One thing i've noticed since maybe 2012 is even bad staffs like the Orioles have done well in the playoffs. So I think everyone piitches better but I also think this has to do with the way the game is now. Strikeouts are as high as ever.

Royals played small ball. Thats how they did it. Stealing bases and situational hitting.

Figured he retired. Wow clutch.

c9777666

Aug 31, 2016
So apparently anyone who puts on a Red Sox uniform in 2018 is automatically good.

They might as well ask the Mets for Jasón Vargas at this point

Last edited:

c9777666

Aug 31, 2016
These Red Sox with this current group are the Raptors of baseball:

Regular season studs, playoff duds, with 2018 being their all-in year.

If they don’t get it done this year and go splat early again, they may have to make a drastic change as we saw with Toronto.

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid
LMAO at our shitty bullpen. I don't trust a single pitcher on our staff right now. Just hilariously bad. And of course, it's Brandon Phillips sinking us.

Hope the Phillies enjoy the postseason.

Sports Enthusiast

Not Here To Be Liked
Sep 19, 2010
Middle of nowhere
These Red Sox with this current group are the Raptors of baseball:

Regular season studs, playoff duds, with 2018 being their all-in year.

If they don’t get it done this year and go splat early again, they may have to make a drastic change as we saw with Toronto.

Not ure if sarcasm or not. Basketball landscape kind of forced that. In basketball players matter more than team. Thus the head coaches get unfair heat. Firing Casey was dumb. Trading for Kwahi was justified I think. Its too bad they fired Casey for losiong to LeBron, hes gone now. They had a chance in the East.

LMAO at our ****ty bullpen. I don't trust a single pitcher on our staff right now. Just hilariously bad. And of course, it's Brandon Phillips sinking us.

Hope the Phillies enjoy the postseason.

Don't count out the...Nats? lol

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
was brandon phillips in the minors all this time?

had no idea he was still in the league

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad