2018 Memorial Cup Final (Acadie-Bathurst Titan Are the Champions!) 3-0 Over Pats

David Suzuki

Aug 25, 2010
New Brunswick
That's a good one, but my favorite is the Kovalev elbow. That was amazing! Laughed my ass off. What a weekend that was.

Still, he was drafted by the Canadiens. And, I loved his fire & competitiveness. I hated him as a Leaf though.

Still can't believe we traded him for Patrick Poulin. :thumbd:

Lol yep the Kovalev one was one of my favourite moments too

Reactions: MarkovsKnee

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
  • Quick thoughts....no freakin idea why we were not on Truchon-Viel and let the Sharks sign him. Yeah, he'll never be a top 6....but we freakin signed Adams-Moisan who is not even in the same stratosphere than Truchon-Viel....
  • Kid that I loved during this tournament was 19-year old Samuel Asselin. Really small but well build. Great IQ.
  • Galipeau....just a very good d-man that I hope we won't miss. You can't freakin sign Adam Plant and let this guy go.
  • 2 NHL already draftees that looks awesome.....Mahura and Steel. 2 NHL already draftees that looked bad during tournament (though better today), Morand and Rubstov.
  • Fleury? Solid. Plain solid. Don't see any offensive upside but could be a bottom 2 d-man. Nothing fancy but gets things going.
  • Dobson? Yeha, the kid is for real....a NHL team is going to get a heck of a gem.

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal
Sharks also signed Thomas Gregoire lol (well their AHL team signed him), he's the only other overager Q dman i wanted other than Galipeau.

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
Ya Habs need to sign Galipeau. Not sure what his upside is, but I think he'll be a quality all around NHL d-man. Fleury I really like. He played some heavy and tough minutes, wasn't always perfect, but the guy will be someone opponents have to be aware of when he's on the ice, because he will destroy you. Don't think he'll ever be a high production guy, but he can handle himself in the o-zone fine enough. Dobson is killing me, because another RD is the last thing we need, but man, he could be the 3rd best player in this draft.

Reactions: MarkovsKnee

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
And draft Asselin........late 2nd??......dunno, would like feed back on this one.

No way. More AHL contract than drafting. He's 20 July 1st, is small & has already been passed over in 2 drafts.

And, he wasn't ppg this year either.

He's UFA July 1st. Habs can invite him to their development camp & go from there. Not sure what camps, if any, he's been to previously.

Reactions: jaffy27

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
Not just the more skilled, but much better IQ and, unlike Emelin, does not **** up much. Very good pick as a late third.
Ya I don't think Fleury is ever a pure shutdown guy, and I don't think he'll ever put up big production, but I think he can be a guy who can play a defensive role, handle his own in the o-zone, and absolutely destroy people at a frequent rate.

Locks

May 28, 2005
Ya I don't think Fleury is ever a pure shutdown guy, and I don't think he'll ever put up big production, but I think he can be a guy who can play a defensive role, handle his own in the o-zone, and absolutely destroy people at a frequent rate.
Exactly how I see it. Really like how the next d wave is shaping up with Mete and Juulsen already there and Fleury and Brook looking good. All four are mobile and capable puck movers with varying degrees of offensive ability.

Reactions: DramaticGloveSave

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
Ya Habs need to sign Galipeau. Not sure what his upside is, but I think he'll be a quality all around NHL d-man. Fleury I really like. He played some heavy and tough minutes, wasn't always perfect, but the guy will be someone opponents have to be aware of when he's on the ice, because he will destroy you. Don't think he'll ever be a high production guy, but he can handle himself in the o-zone fine enough. Dobson is killing me, because another RD is the last thing we need, but man, he could be the 3rd best player in this draft.
I saw those three d-men for the first time this Memorial cup and quite honestly it was a let down.

Fleury looks to me like a better skating Emelin and probably a better passer but that's about it. Defensively he has huge holes in his game. So huge you can drive one of our tanking teams through one of those holes. From what I saw I would guess his ceiling is third pair unless his developmental curves starts to shoot upwards.

Galipeau was alright but he is a 21 year old playing against teenagers, some of them very young teenagers. I'd bet he never goes past the AHL.

Dobson is obviously the best of the three but I would never consider picking him with our 3OA. From what I saw of Hughes and Boqvist I would pick them ahead of him. And trust me I'm bias in favour of Canadian players. So even with that bias I think Hughes and Boqvist are better selections at 3.

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
Look at Dobson this way. By the time he becomes an effective NHLer, how will Petry and Weber be? They are getting older and more likely worse. Even if we have a plethora of good RHD, it makes an excellent trading asset.

Reactions: ToLegitToQuit

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Look at Dobson this way. By the time he becomes an effective NHLer, how will Petry and Weber be? They are getting older and more likely worse. Even if we have a plethora of good RHD, it makes an excellent trading asset.

More about Juulsen, Brook, and Fleury on the right side already. But I do like Dobson a lot! No weakness to his game and he is very effective at both ends of the ice.

Whitesnake

Jan 5, 2003

Totally agree. It's insane for people to not want Dobson because of Petry......Geez. Let's not take a d-man that will be better than Petry because we have a old and worst player on a team that isn't going anywhere.....lol

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
Totally agree. It's insane for people to not want Dobson because of Petry......Geez. Let's not take a d-man that will be better than Petry because we have a old and worst player on a team that isn't going anywhere.....lol
It's the same thing for wingers. Our leading scorer had 54 points but apparently we are set on the wing. Let's not get Zadina because we are set on wing is so idiotic. Just take BPA.

Whitesnake

Jan 5, 2003
More about Juulsen, Brook, and Fleury on the right side already. But I do like Dobson a lot! No weakness to his game and he is very effective at both ends of the ice.

Not sure why the quantity of players is so important. Make your list. And tell me where Dobson is on that list. If he leads it, it's the others you don't need. Not to let him pass by because of them. And you can trade any of them for the right price if they are so great.

Reactions: The Great Schlemko

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Not sure why the quantity of players is so important. Make your list. And tell me where Dobson is on that list. If he leads it, it's the others you don't need. Not to let him pass by because of them. And you can trade any of them for the right price if they are so great.

My list rankings are in waives... and I don't believe in definite BPA cause the difference between most of these guys are very very small. This is not a hockey pool... it's building a team that can produce W's on the ice by drafting kids that have not reached their full potential yet.

Dahlin
Svechnikov
Zadina, Dobson, Wahlstrom, Boqvist
Hughes, Kotkaniemi, Veleno, Smith, Tkachuk, Hayton, Farabee, Kupari

When it comes to drafting Dobson with the 3rd pick. We need to be super high on him as position of need needs to be considered IMO. Drafting Dobson over Zadina or Kotkaniemi has a high % of being a wash in value in the end. So, if you want Dobson, you need to believe he is a Josi type or even better IMO. Otherwise, we need RW and Center help more than RD. I like Hughes at LD but hate how small he is. I think he is similar to Keller from the 2016 draft. Keller went 7th and Hughes might be a similar pick but smaller forwards can survive more than smaller D man

Rankings are all over the place depending who you ask... Check out Sporting news. They are against the grain for sure but just goes to show.. It's hard to nail down BPA in this draft where there is so much talent to choose from.

NHL Draft prospect rankings: Rasmus Dahlin or Andrei Svechnikov? It's 1A vs. 1B atop 2018 class

Last edited:

Whitesnake

Jan 5, 2003
My list rankings are in waives... and I don't believe in definite BPA cause the difference between most of these guys are very very small.

Dahlin
Svechnikov
Zadina, Dobson, Wahlstrom, Boqvist
Hughes, Kotkaniemi, Veleno, Smith, Tkachuk, Hayton, Farabee, Kupari

When it comes to drafting Dobson with the 3rd pick. We need to be super high on him as position of need needs to be considered IMO. Drafting Dobson over Zadina or Kotkaniemi has a high % of being a wash in value in the end. So, if you want Dobson, you need to believe he is a Josi type or even better IMO.

Rankings are all over the place depending who you ask... Check out Sporting news. They are against the grain for sure but just goes to show.. It's hard to nail down BPA in this draft where there is so much talent to choose from.

NHL Draft prospect rankings: Rasmus Dahlin or Andrei Svechnikov? It's 1A vs. 1B atop 2018 class

I still have Zadina before him. Kotkaniemi while interesting is solely mention because of needs. And that's scary for me. Wouldn't be scary at 10. But at 3, it is. I just think that for Dobson, he is better than what we have no matter who we have.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I still have Zadina before him. Kotkaniemi while interesting is solely mention because of needs. And that's scary for me. Wouldn't be scary at 10. But at 3, it is. I just think that for Dobson, he is better than what we have no matter who we have.

I think the same and I'm trusting that TT and his scouting staff will will know what to do. They did take Sergachev with the 9th pick over Jost, Brown, McLeod. Totally won't be surprised if we take Dobson.

I'm grew up in Bathurst and graduated with Dobson's uncle although I have not talked to him for may years now. I believe Dobson was also born in Bathurst and moved to PEI after. Bathurst is a very small city and if a guy like Dobson turns into a Josi type, that would be very rare for a city like that. Last guy was Bordon and he died in a horrible mortorcyle accident. Dobson has certainly rose in stock value and he looks very good! Very curious to see how he turns out in the end

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
It's not a hard philosophy. You take the BPA. Positions come into play at the margins.

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
  • Quick thoughts....no freakin idea why we were not on Truchon-Viel and let the Sharks sign him. Yeah, he'll never be a top 6....but we freakin signed Adams-Moisan who is not even in the same stratosphere than Truchon-Viel....
  • Kid that I loved during this tournament was 19-year old Samuel Asselin. Really small but well build. Great IQ.
  • Galipeau....just a very good d-man that I hope we won't miss. You can't freakin sign Adam Plant and let this guy go.
  • 2 NHL already draftees that looks awesome.....Mahura and Steel. 2 NHL already draftees that looked bad during tournament (though better today), Morand and Rubstov.
  • Fleury? Solid. Plain solid. Don't see any offensive upside but could be a bottom 2 d-man. Nothing fancy but gets things going.
  • Dobson? Yeha, the kid is for real....a NHL team is going to get a heck of a gem.

Where do you have Dobson ranked in Dmen? High as 2 in the draft?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad