Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Justin Holl

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Orfieus

Nov 2, 2012
Atlantic Canada
So if we had Marner at 17/18 years old, and Johnsson currently, we'd have to pick Johnsson by your theory?

Its kind of dumb but I like to think of prospects as glasses, the more water in the glass the better prospect he is. Marner glass is massive but AJ, in this situation, would have more water

Crysis

Jun 28, 2015
Thanks for doing this again, Schenn.

I've still got last year's results on my laptop:

I'd probably still count Dermott as a prospect, but not Kapanen. The difference being that Kapanen played more games at the NHL level this year than the AHL one, while Dermott (and Johnsson) played most of the year in the AHL. I also think Holl should be removed. It is a weird situation because he's a late bloomer and has an outside chance to crack the roster next year but he's 26. That's too old to be considered a prospect IMO.

Love how nearly all of them are still part of our system as well. No trading the new recruits for vets at the deadline so far, of much significance anyways.

showtime8

Jun 30, 2010
Toronto, ON
I went with Liljegren, but it was a tough decision with Johnsson.

The impact that Liljegren had as a 19 year old in his first full pro season in North America was significant and his ceiling is the highest in terms of pure skill and tools.

That being said, Johnsson has the highest percentage out of everyone on the list provided to take a roster spot with the Leafs on opening night.

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015
I went with Lily too.

Hard to call andreas johnsson a prospect when he is approaching 24.

member 147413

Liljegren
Sandin
Grundstrom
Johnsson

After those 4 Swedes its a wash imo.

I have not seen enough of Rasanen, Durzi, Korshkov or Bracco to rank them, but we’ll see how they develop.

Last edited by a moderator:

Duffman955

Mar 4, 2010
Lil G gets the nod.

Dynamic #1dman potential. Second should be the other swede, Johnson

Myopic

Feb 26, 2017
So if we had Marner at 17/18 years old, and Johnsson currently, we'd have to pick Johnsson by your theory?

That's a reach...Marner was a top 4 prospect in the draft and was great as a rookie in the NHL. Lilijgren was passed over by 16 teams in the first round and did not make the Leafs as a rookie. Matthews was automatically the Leafs best prospect the second after he was drafted. They had superior track records. Lilijgren dropped in the draft for a reason and while Mono may be a good excuse he still sucked that year.

Johnsson was very successful in Sweden as a 7th round draft pick. He was ROY in the SHL. Was Lilijgren ROY?

This poll sounds like wishful thinking. Right now Johnsson is by far a superior player.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Definitely Lily. Solid rookie campaign as an 18 year old in the AHL. High ceiling with him too. And I'm a big fan of AJ too.

HC7

May 2, 2018
That's a reach...Marner was a top 4 prospect in the draft and was great as a rookie in the NHL. Lilijgren was passed over by 16 teams in the first round and did not make the Leafs as a rookie. Matthews was automatically the Leafs best prospect the second after he was drafted. They had superior track records. Lilijgren dropped in the draft for a reason and while Mono may be a good excuse he still sucked that year.

Johnsson was very successful in Sweden as a 7th round draft pick. He was ROY in the SHL. Was Lilijgren ROY?

Liljegren produced better than Hampus Lindholm in the AHL during both +1 seasons.

Reactions: stickty111

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
Johnsson looks like guaranteed top 6 material. Liljegren had a "looks-on-track-to-be-an-NHLer" rookie AHL season, not a "I'm-going-to-be-a-stud" rookie season. That's how he's my second choice.

Add Timashov. Marchment is completely missing from the queue.

Reactions: Myopic and rdogg

Duke16

Apr 14, 2015
Ontario
FORWARDS:
Johnsson
Grundstrom
Bracco
Der-Arguchintsev
Engvall
Korshkov
Timashov
Brooks
Aaltonen
Moore
Marchment
Holmberg (intriguing after a deeper look)
Dzierkals
Kara
Chebykin
Joshua
Gauthier
Kizimov
McGregor

DEFENSE:
Liljegren
Sandin
Durzi
Borgman
Rosen
Rasanen
Kral
Ozhiganov
Lindgren
Hollowell
Gordeev
Nielsen
Greenway
O'Connell

GOALIES:
Woll
Sparks
Scott
Kaskisuo
Bouthillier

Schenn

In Rod We Trust
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2009
Huron County
Johnsson looks like guaranteed top 6 material. Liljegren had a "looks-on-track-to-be-an-NHLer" rookie AHL season, not a "I'm-going-to-be-a-stud" rookie season. That's how he's my second choice.

Ahh yes Marchment, good catch.

Reactions: JustAShadow

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005

My thoughts exactly. I can't remember a Marlie forward looking as good as Johnsson in the playoffs, and his NHL trial showed that he has the solid NHL skill set. Liljegren looks great for his age but its the expected jump next year that gets you excited about him. He has the potential to be a top pairing guy but he has a lot of development ahead of him. AJ looks like a top 6 forward already.
Not sure where Sandin fits. His D+1 will be a good indicator as to whether he can be something special or not. A lot of talent is graduating from his club this year. It will be a good test.

biotk

Jan 3, 2017
Buffalo
He was ROY in the SHL. Was Lilijgren ROY?

Checkmate! You are correct - Liljegren did not win ROY in the SHL. Neither did Dahlin. Because of that the two of them are clearly inferior prospects to Johnsson and Borgman (who both won SHL ROY at ages 19 and 21 - Lily and Dahlin were both 16 during their rookie seasons).

Reactions: stickty111

Havoc

Jul 25, 2009
Is this a joke? lmao:

Oops, didn't realize the tweet cussed, essentially:

5v5 points 17/18

Hall - 46
P. Kane - 46
Nylander - 45
Kuzy - 45
Malkin - 44
Drai - 43
Hischier - 42
Kessel - 41
Tarasenko - 40
Tavares - 39
Backstrom - 38
Marner - 37
Crosby - 35
Laine - 35
JVR - 30

This list makes me think it should be Tavares-Nylander and not Tavares-Marner.

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
This list makes me think it should be Tavares-Nylander and not Tavares-Marner.

They're both so good at creating chances and driving lines, it really doesn't matter which one plays with Tavares or Matthews. We've seen the chemistry between Matthews-Willy though, so I personally would like to keep them together.

Reactions: Havoc

StevenB

Oct 7, 2014
North York
Liljegren
Johnsson
Sandin
Grundstrom
Durzi

My top 5 atm with Korshkov and Bracco pushing for 5, but Durzi put up some great stats for his d+1. It’ll be fun to watch what happens with him

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad