GDT: 2018 IIHF World Junior Hockey Championships

Which Avs Prospect Do Think Will Make Their Countries?

• Total voters

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
I wonder if they let Girard go as well? Seems a little weird to me that they would let one guy but not the other?

My guess would be Joe sits down with both of them and explains that it's kind of up to them. Probably tells Jost he thinks it would be a good idea for him to go and get that experience, while he explains to Girard that he's a useful player with the Avs and they'd love to keep him around but if he wants that experience then by all means they wont stop him.

That's probably how I'd handle it anyway. We're not making playoffs this year, for Jost I think it could definitely be good for his development instead of struggling in the NHL right now. Girard its tougher to say because I think the NHL is where he will get the most out of his development right now. But being a leader on that Canada team and a go to option on the Defense would be good as well.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I never said Jost couldn't skate , but yeah not getting ice time and not playing much all season , no guarantee he stars that's for sure . He should have at least been given some AHL time and minutes if they plan on sending him . He was supposed to star last year and did dick .His confidence can't be high , he can't even touch the puck for 2 seconds at NHL level

Jost was very good at the WJC last year. He got moved around to try and get others going as the tourney wore on which lead to a quiet end #s wise; but he did do dick last year.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Getting Jost would be great for Canada. I'll wait until it's official before getting too excited though.

Reactions: Goulet17

Goulet17

May 22, 2003
I think there are some fan marketing and messaging issues that the Avs' brass would have to address with the release, perhaps not so much with Jost, but likely Girard.

It would be one thing if the release was to play for team USA at the WJCs, but that is not the case. I am just saying.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
I wouldn't be that against sending Girard as well, but since he would probably cannibalize minutes from Makar/Timmins it might be best to keep him in the NHL.

lonelybadger

Feb 22, 2013
Toronto
Yeah I think organizationally, Jost going to World Juniors is a great idea. Gives him and Canada exposure, should allow him to take some heavy minutes and excel and get some confidence.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I could be wrong, but I don't see them even considering letting Girard go. The blueline is still just too fragile. Unless they keep losing, and put themselves totally out of the playoff picture. They're low in the standings now, but they have games in hand.

Jost might be another story though. Depends on how he looks the next few games probably. If he starts to look better and better, he'll stay. If not, then this could buy them some time in determining what to do with him. It would be similar to sending him to junior for a month, and then getting him back, instead of the AHL.

JoeSakic13

May 30, 2013
San Francisco
I wouldn't be that against sending Girard as well, but since he would probably cannibalize minutes from Makar/Timmins it might be best to keep him in the NHL.

Agreed. Not to mention there's an outside chance if Girard doesn't go and Jost does that Jost and Makar can build some PP chemistry.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
I don't think it's necessarily a given that Jost is going to just dominate and come back with lots of confidence. If it's true that a nagging injury is slowing him down in the NHL there's no reason why it wouldn't do the same thing the tourney. If he has a poor showing that could damage his confidence as easily as dominating could boost it.

Reactions: Patagonia

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Well I'd think Jost is much easier to replace on the roster for now than Girard, don't you agree?

Oh absolutely. But I dont think it sends a great message to tell one eligible guy on the team he's free to go while telling the other he cant.

If you let Jost go you at least have to give the option to Girard IMO. Even if you explain to him that he's an NHL quality player now and that it might be better suited for him to stick in the NHL instead of playing in that tournament.

Reactions: Pokecheque

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
There's no way Girard would rather go there than play in the NHL.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
This is going to look really bad on Dater if he's wrong here, it's not like this is a trade rumour or anything of sort, should be easy to hear what Avs plans are...

Now lets update the better and more interesting lower levels...

In D1A
- Germany vs Kazakhstan was a penalty filled affair with Germany having something like 22 minutes of PIMs. They should be favourites, but surprisingly lost the first game 3-2 in OT. Now they have to win every other game and still might not even get promoted. Yikes.

- Austria vs France, if there is a nation who's hockey program has had an insane bump in development lately France would be right after Denmark. France is a nation you just cannot take lightly anymore and are abusing Austria 6-1 right now. Texier only has one point which was a secondary assist so it shows that France has gotten goals from the whole team. Austria on the other hand have their wonder kid Marco Rossi scoring the only goal. This kid is going to be special.

- Latvia vs Hungary, nothing really interesting, Hungary is another country on the rise, but they should probably be relegated favourites. Losing to Latvia 4-1 currently.

Streams: LIVE STREAM

In D1B

- Polska destroyed Italy 9-4. Lyszczarczyk had 6 points in the game and Poland off to a strong start. On the other hand, if there is a nation who's been on the opposite side of France and Denmark, it is Italy and Netherlands. Two awful nations that have had passable players, but just clearly lack the passion for the sport.

- Slovenia beat Ukraine 3-1, Penguins prospect Jan Drozg had two goals for the Slovenians.

- Norway, who are the favourites for promotion beat Lithuania 4-1. Sadly @henchman24 MEP isn't playing in the tourney, sounds like he is focused on his draft year and wants to spend the whole year in the USHL. Can't blame him.

- In day two Slovenia beat Lithuania 4-3. Drozg with a couple more points, while Lithuania have a really solid player in Dominik Bogdziul. Not NHL quality, but decent European player. Norway continued their winning ways by beating Italy 4-0. While Poland is currently losing to Ukraine 1-0 late in the 1st period.

Streams: LIVE STREAM

DIIA
- Started today and Japan beat the Dutch 6-1. Japan is playing down a division due to pulling out of their IIHF group a couple years ago since it was in France and feared terrorist attacks. Very interesting group since there isn't a favourite for promotion, but I wouldn't be surprised if Japan runs away with it either. The shots on goal where 51-8 in the Japanese favour.

- Korea just beat a hard fought game against Estonia in a SO 5-4. Again, there isn't a clear cut favourite so the games should be very close.

- Great Britain going to play Romania at 20:00 GMT. Don't think there is a stream for it though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad