GDT: 2018 IIHF World Championship

Ratelleitlikeitis

Apr 7, 2011
Guelph
Sorry...I just get touchy about it too often. I guess really it's kind of a compliment to be recognized for being good at something over time. Being Canadian I rarely ever get to feel that passionate degree of rivalry when it comes to FIFA or FIBA. Well there used to be curling!

Reactions: nyr2k2

2014nyr

Jun 14, 2014
some thoughts on today / the tourney: mcavoy was absolute trash - not a reflection of who he is, guy is just probably physically completely gassed and like playing w/ some injuries. that said, pionk was incredibly consistent and reliable this whole tourney, created offense that was there and was great jumpstarting breakouts as well as jumping into the rush - confounding that his role wasn't expanded. at least from an organizational perspective, he's had a great tourney even if the staff turned a blind eye to it.

sweden is awesome and has such a great structure. they've also clearly placed a huge emphasis on skating (insert lias joke) / skill development because top to bottom they are loaded. would be nice to see lias get more time but he's still just a kid and the experience is valuable regardless. and from a ranger perspective with a personality like his, any sort of perceived slight will likely pay dividends in how he approaches this summer.

zbad was so so today but has been a monster all tourney - would be nice to see him gather momentum and confidence for an extended period, seems like every time he's been on the cusp of establishing his place among the elite he gets injured and upon return looks nothing like the player he had been.

kreider has had a nice tourney - met expectations. still wish hed develop a real mean streak.

buch...he uh...showed up. tied the skates, threw a jersey on. other than that he...got a new stamp in his passport

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
some thoughts on today / the tourney: mcavoy was absolute trash - not a reflection of who he is, guy is just probably physically completely gassed and like playing w/ some injuries. that said, pionk was incredibly consistent and reliable this whole tourney, created offense that was there and was great jumpstarting breakouts as well as jumping into the rush - confounding that his role wasn't expanded. at least from an organizational perspective, he's had a great tourney even if the staff turned a blind eye to it.

Just am not sure yet what the Rangers have in Pionk. My heart tells me 2nd pair solid puck mover but I think he still has work to do defensively, It'll be quite interesting to see what the new coaching staff gets out of him if he makes the team next season

I really love the big ice sheet. I wish the nhl would switch back. But that’ll never happen because hitting and tuffness

Nah it'll never happen because they'll probably lose seats and that means losing money.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Yeah teams would lose revenue with those first few rows removed, so they won't go for it. There are also some buildings where I'm not even sure they could accommodate the renovations needed.

2014nyr

Jun 14, 2014
Just am not sure yet what the Rangers have in Pionk. My heart tells me 2nd pair solid puck mover but I think he still has work to do defensively, It'll be quite interesting to see what the new coaching staff gets out of him if he makes the team next season

i'd say its fair to still have some concerns/debate over pionk's long term but having watched him outperform at umd, outperform on a gutted ranger squad, and outperform on team usa at the WC despite the staff not acknowledging or rewarding his consistency- i'm sold on the kid. he competes, he's incredibly instinctive defending the rush, and he makes tape to tape passes coming up ice. as an undrafted fa, he's about as big a home run as an org can hit

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden

sweden is awesome and has such a great structure. they've also clearly placed a huge emphasis on skating (insert lias joke) / skill development because top to bottom they are loaded. would be nice to see lias get more time but he's still just a kid and the experience is valuable regardless. and from a ranger perspective with a personality like his, any sort of perceived slight will likely pay dividends in how he approaches this summer.

zbad was so so today but has been a monster all tourney - would be nice to see him gather momentum and confidence for an extended period, seems like every time he's been on the cusp of establishing his place among the elite he gets injured and upon return looks nothing like the player he had been.

kreider has had a nice tourney - met expectations. still wish hed develop a real mean streak.

buch...he uh...showed up. tied the skates, threw a jersey on. other than that he...got a new stamp in his passport

Yeah, I think Blashill clowned out completely this tournament. Threated it as an audition for Hughes and went to great length to play favorites with Jensen. You don’t have that kind of marginals. The US have never had any success in the WCH, they should get a permanent coach for a couple of years like Canada did with Renney.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Kreids between periods interview: "we had some good looks" "stick to the process"

fckn AV in his brain :laugh:

Those answers can be heard all over the league. It's so boring. It's just not worth it to watch post-game interviews with players these days. "We need to keep moving our feet" and that kind of BS. Ugh

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad