GDT: 2018 IIHF World Championship

Phoicon

Take these broken wings and learn to fly again.
Jan 26, 2018
Copenhagen

There is a funny backstory: I saw that reporter hackle Mika last weekend on the Finnish television to get him to speak Finnish because his mom is Finnish and he can actually speak it more or less fluently and Mika refused all the time, at last giving in and answering him in brief one-word sentences. So I guess he could be a bit annoyed.

It was a bit weird because Finns are usually quite introverted and it had this taste of an introverted kid trying to act extraverted by the reporter but it was all in good fun.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden

This is what all soccer teams are using for analytics, and I bet my right arm many NHL teams too. Tell the soccer teams that you are combining a few raw hand made counts to get proxies for certain intel and they would fall of a chair laughing so hard. How successful do you retrieve the puck, execute breakouts and what not -- you can get everything. What works, what don't work. Whats the real possession time etc. The soccer teams have had this for like a decade, I would be very surprised if we didn't. But I don't know how much the software side of it takes, maybe it have been too much work to adjust it to hockey.

Reactions: HatTrick Swayze

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
This is what all soccer teams are using for analytics, and I bet my right arm many NHL teams too. Tell the soccer teams that you are combining a few raw hand made counts to get proxies for certain intel and they would fall of a chair laughing so hard. How successful do you retrieve the puck, execute breakouts and what not -- you can get everything. What works, what don't work. Whats the real possession time etc. The soccer teams have had this for like a decade, I would be very surprised if we didn't. But I don't know how much the software side of it takes, maybe it have been too much work to adjust it to hockey.
Agreed. NHL is behind other sports in terms of public tracking data and whatnot. Highly laughable.

Reactions: HatTrick Swayze

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
I think those were only some quotes that a news website pulled out to write an article. The guy did a full interview, which I posted in the Shestyorkin thread. He said a lot of interesting things from what I can tell, but then again, I don't speak Russian. I can't say for sure.

From what it seems, he said that Shestyorkin is the best goalkeeper/Russian goalkeeper (I can't tell about this distinction) in the KHL and would've started at the Olympics, if not for injury. The guy was pretty critical of Sorokin. I believe he questioned his work ethic. I also believe he said Sorokin's not improved in the last two years, doesn't have the same technique as Shestyorkin and isn't as good as Shestyorkin.

He also said what some people thought that Shestyorkin could've definitely been the starting goalie for SKA over Koskinen the last two seasons, but he thought a player with a "first keeper" contract should be playing in that role. He said that the main thing they are looking for in signing a new goalkeeper this season is someone who can compete with Shestyorkin because the young goalkeepers in their system can't do that. He said he wants to make sure Shestyorkin is ready to play in the NHL when he leaves, and doesn't just stop improving because he's already good. I think he mentioned that a few times.

Davydov really seems to be staking his reputation on Shestyorkin's development, which I guess makes sense since he's helped build him up the last few years. Thats his best chance for "developing a star keeper." Take it with a grain of salt because of his role with SKA, but the people questioning why Shestyorkin wouldn't start with SKA, why he didn't start at the Olympics, it kind of makes sense. I didn't like these decisions, but at least he's not saying it was because others were better than Igor. Also brief mentions about Georgiyev. Said he was considered for a spot on the World Championship team. He also said there could be a Russian tandem in goal for the Rangers after Lundqvist retires.

Georgiev is seriously good too. He looked like a future starting goalie in his 10 NHL games and one has to wonder if (2-3 years down the road) there's room for both him and Shesterkin because ideally a young goaltender if he's got what it takes---playing 60 games a year shouldn't be a problem. How to share the games?---better to move one of them if their value is up and the value is there? It could be a great problem to have.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
Georgiev is seriously good too. He looked like a future starting goalie in his 10 NHL games and one has to wonder if (2-3 years down the road) there's room for both him and Shesterkin because ideally a young goaltender if he's got what it takes---playing 60 games a year shouldn't be a problem. How to share the games?---better to move one of them if their value is up and the value is there? It could be a great problem to have.

Goalies usually don't have great value but yeah if they both pan out then that's a good problem to have

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate

Goalies usually don't have great value but yeah if they both pan out then that's a good problem to have

♪♫ In my mind I'm gone to Carolina... ♪♫

Reactions: Harbour Dog

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
I’m not sure how after what he showed this year how georgiev didn’t get an invite to the the worlds from russia.

He may not be better than shesty down the road but he was probably the guy that should have started for Russia in this tourney.

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
It’s so cool seeing our guy as the main offensively threat for a country.

Is Lias playing?
He's listed on the fourth line for the game, but then again, they list 5 forwards for the fourth line, so idk if he's a healthy scratch or not.

Going by the stats page, I think he's a healthy scratch. Has 0 TOI

FultonReed

derailer of threads
Jul 28, 2010
Brooklyn, NY
it's like USA has a bunch of NYR influence. Sweden giving up giant rebounds, and there's nobody in the area to try and clean it up.

Kreider just got one and shot it wide. typical.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad