2018 HF Team Boards Mock Draft -- Pick #9

Pick #9

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

gump116

Sponsor
Feb 24, 2009
New York
Think it's very likely that Dobson or Bouchard is the one from the third tier (4-9 seem to be ranked in varying orders) that fall to us. Between those two, hoping for Dobson. Reading scouting reports on him, seems to be in the McDonagh/Skjei mold of good size and skating with top-pair potential.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
I’ve got another 10-12 years before retirement. I was in middle school for the punk rock explosion.

I've always been a little lucky--except when it comes to the Rangers. Spent 4 years in the Coast Guard and then worked for the Post Office for a bunch of years. The Coast Guard years factor into a federal retirement. That kind of job probably isn't great the nearer you get to a major metropolitan city but where I'm from it's more than adequate. My wife's got the same thing--minus the service time. So we've been coasting a while. People have been dying on us too--there's always some shit happening good and/or bad no matter how old you are.

Punk rock and hockey used to be my thing---that's why I brought it up. I've got a lot of vinyl from the late 70's--early 80's--a lot that's missing too.

Calad

Section 422
Jul 24, 2011
Long Island
I think of the top 9 the most likely to fall are Boqvist and Hughes due to size/health concerns. Boqvist especially as he is in a similar situation to Chytil, being weeks older than he was at the 2017 draft (Aug 15 vs Sept 5th). I'd be thrilled if the Rangers could grab one of them, otherwise any of the others id be plenty happy with, I trust our scouts

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
A lot of the reports I've seen indicate that he isn't a great skater. Given how much flak Andersson has gotten for his skating, I'm surprised so many people are on Kotkaniemi's band wagon.

He's 3 inches taller than Andersson and should weigh 20 pounds than him in the NHL. He's also more creative offensively and a better passer. He's a better hockey player than Andersson.

He's not one of these speedsters, but if you choose to draft him, you gotta understand what you are getting. I also think his skating is way underrated. He doesn't struggle to get around the ice, he's just not a dynamic skater. I don't think its an issue, and I think its better than Andersson's skating, as well.

Reactions: jas

Harbour Dog

Jul 16, 2015
St. John's
Went Dobson, but fine with Jesperi

Address D in the back end of the first with Benard-Docker/Samuelsson/Alexeyev/Tychonik

I got to see Bernard-Docker play live in January.

He was quietly the best defenseman on his team. Everything was calm, quick, precise; seemed like the puck was always moving in the right direction when he was on the ice.

If we can grab him or Addison in the early 2nd round, I'll be pumped.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
What's the report on this kid? Everyone here seems to like him.

Growth and progress.

Just kept advancing and developing.

He's a solid pick. Not quite sure I take the offensive upside quite as much as a given as some, but he's in the mix.

A lot of the attention is the recent tournament results.

Good skater, not necessarily a great skater. Good creativity. Very good vision. Has to keep avoiding making one move too many and use his linemates more, especially as a center. Good size, very good hockey sense. Curious to see how he responds as teams start to focus on him and the space closes up. He does tend to pull it back when he's played hard.

Feel comfortable saying top six upside, not quite sure about first line upside. But it's not a far-fetched concept either.

Reactions: HatTrick Swayze

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Growth and progress.

Just kept advancing and developing.

He's a solid pick. Not quite sure I take the offensive upside quite as much as a given as some, but he's in the mix.

A lot of the attention is the recent tournament results.

Good skater, not necessarily a great skater. Good creativity. Very good vision. Has to keep avoiding making one move too many and use his linemates more, especially as a center. Good size, very good hockey sense. Curious to see how he responds as teams start to focus on him and the space closes up. He does tend to pull it back when he's played hard.

Feel comfortable saying top six upside, not quite sure about first line upside. But it's not a far-fetched concept either.

I understand your point, Edge, and I think we've already went over this, but Kotkaniemi had a great season in Liiga. I think that gets forgotten in this equation. He had one of the best seasons with his club team of any of the draft eligibles.

Some people have moved him up a lot recently, and I think rightfully so, as they watch more. I have had him in the top 10 well before the WJC18, not that it means much, but not everyone is just being reactionary due to his play at the WJC18. I know some others have voiced support for potentially picking him months prior to the tournament.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
I understand your point, Edge, and I think we've already went over this, but Kotkaniemi had a great season in Liiga. I think that gets forgotten in this equation. He had one of the best seasons with his club team of any of the draft eligibles.

Some people have moved him up a lot recently, and I think rightfully so, as they watch more. I have had him in the top 10 well before the WJC18, not that it means much, but not everyone is just being reactionary due to his play at the WJC18. I know some others have voiced support for potentially picking him months prior to the tournament.

Agreed on all points; and you were definitely one of the people who were higher on him early on --- along with several others.

Now, 30 others? Ehhhh, not so much.

I primarily throw the caution out there because when a player tends to shoot up in popularity among posters, they get a certain impression of the kid that can be a bit misleading or even disappointing. A lot of that is mainly due to the fact that said player often hasn't spent as much time in the cross-hairs, having different elements of their game dissected and analyzed.

It doesn't make them a bad prospect or a bad choice, just more of a more heavily skewed perspective for some.

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
He's 3 inches taller than Andersson and should weigh 20 pounds than him in the NHL. He's also more creative offensively and a better passer. He's a better hockey player than Andersson.

He's not one of these speedsters, but if you choose to draft him, you gotta understand what you are getting. I also think his skating is way underrated. He doesn't struggle to get around the ice, he's just not a dynamic skater. I don't think its an issue, and I think its better than Andersson's skating, as well.

This is pretty much what I’ve heard.

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
How lite? :laugh:

Thats the question. I think there's a slight possibility it might not be all that much lite. I wouldn't be surprised if he's top 3-4 in a re-draft in a few years and he turns into a good 1C. If thats the case, probably not much "lite" compared to those players. I think worse case scenario he's a Zibanejad/Stepan/Brassard level center, although I wouldn't say he's comparable stylistically to any of them.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad