2018 HF Team Boards Mock Draft -- Pick #9

Pick #9

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
Honestly, if it played out like that, I'd have no problem with any of Dobson, Farabee, Kotkaniemi, Kravtsov or Smith – and unlike last year when I was pissed we were shut out of the top 6, I wouldn't have a problem with the fact that that was the pool left to us.

Voted Kotkaniemi due to position, growth potential, and trend. Next in line for me personally would be Dobson, Farabee, Kravtsov, Smith – but as I said, I'm fine with any of them that the FO prefers.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
Kotkaniemi is the highest rated center. There are a few teams ahead of 9 who would probably go after him because of it. But even if things breakout like this there are a number of good options (to not have a full meltdown HFNYR-style) like Kotka, Dobson, Farabee etc. All things equal RD are at premium in this league and the biggest priority for the Rangers, so it is Dobson for me.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
It comes down to Dobson or Kotkaniemi and IMO you can't really go wrong with either. I'd like to fix the defense more though so I'd take Dobson. That would incline me more towards picking forwards with our next two picks but generally I like more of the forwards that should be available later in the round and early 2nd than I do the D. I'd also be trying to move the #26 we got from Boston into the teens if possible.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Guys, we're now drafting kids born in 2000. 2000! Are you f***ing kidding?!? Do you assholes remember Y2K and what you were doing? I do and it can't be discussed here. And now we're drafting kids born after that. This shit blows my mind.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
What's the report on this kid? Everyone here seems to like him.

Early in the season, people were talking about Kupari rather than Kotkaniemi. Playing for Assat, he had the 5th highest point totals by a player in their draft year, only trailing Barkov, Laine, Lehkonen and Puljujarvi. He's more a playermaker than a typical goalscorer, and finished his pro-season with 29 points in 57 games (0.51 PPG)

But there's more to it than just his points. He runs the PP with crisp passing and patience. He just sees the ice really well and, in my opinion, makes his teammates play better. That, combined with his precision shooting, makes him a very dangerous player. He played a lot on the wing this season. The games I've seen from him this year (Late September and early December) he was so noticeable.

What put him on a lot of people's radar was his performance at the u18 WC where he was just dominating every shift.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Guys, we're now drafting kids born in 2000. 2000! Are you ****ing kidding?!? Do you *******s remember Y2K and what you were doing? I do and it can't be discussed here. And now we're drafting kids born after that. This **** blows my mind.

I graduated high school in 2001. This makes me feel old

Reactions: nyr2k2

Yuck

Sep 8, 2009
I'm no draft expert, but I went with Dobson with the reasoning that most of those guys are on the same level and RHD is both a need and harder to find. That said, I don' t know the personality or work ethic of any of these guys and if they have the "character" that the Rangers are targeting. I firmly believe the Rangers will bypass anyone who doesn't have "character", whatever that definition means to them (work ethic, good teammate, etc.) and however they determine if these prospects have it.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
He may be the one center in this draft has potential 1st line upside. I’ve seen Kopitar comparisons.

A lot of the reports I've seen indicate that he isn't a great skater. Given how much flak Andersson has gotten for his skating, I'm surprised so many people are on Kotkaniemi's band wagon.

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
A lot of the reports I've seen indicate that he isn't a great skater. Given how much flak Andersson has gotten for his skating, I'm surprised so many people are on Kotkaniemi's band wagon.

A few months back, Shane Malloy on NHL Network Radio on Sirius/XM was discussing him and said the skating issues are overblown. That was the first time he was on my radar. My feeling is that his ceiling is higher than Andersson’s.

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
Pretty close to what I expect to happen. Don't see a way Boqvist or Wahlstrom slip to 9.

Kotkaniemi could go higher and push Hughes/Bouchard down IMO. I went with Kotka, upside is too high. Shifting Chytil or Lias to W, or hopefully having elite 1-3 C depth is not a bad thing at all.

Dobson, then Farabee would be my next selections.

I’m starting to feel like Chytil may be more comfortable on the wing, say, next to Zibanejad and Kreider.

Reactions: belford222

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011

Their skating is similar. But what's also similar is the way they read the game. They have a lot in common. Andersson is a more physical player, who uses his strength along the boards, while Kotkaniemi is a player who excels in other areas.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Guys, we're now drafting kids born in 2000. 2000! Are you ****ing kidding?!? Do you *******s remember Y2K and what you were doing? I do and it can't be discussed here. And now we're drafting kids born after that. This **** blows my mind.

I was born in 1957. They got to the 1957's a long time ago like with Duguay and Deblois. A lot of stuff has stopped surprising me--though it's good to be surprised at least some of the time because you can never stop learning.....or being amazed at something or other.

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
I was born in 1957. They got to the 1957's a long time ago like with Duguay and Deblois. A lot of stuff has stopped surprising me--though it's good to be surprised at least some of the time because you can never stop learning.....or being amazed at something or other.

Jeez...you’re eight years older than me. @Bozle, get in here....

Reactions: Mac n Gs and Bozle

Harbour Dog

Jul 16, 2015
St. John's
If these are the guys that are left, I would be rooting for:

1. Dobson
2. Kotkaniemi
3. Trade down and re-evaluate

If our brass believe, beyond reasonable doubt, that Kotkaniemi is the BPA, then go for it; but if they have him and Dobson in a similar tier, then you have to go with the RHD.

Reactions: MarkMessyay11

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad