• F Veleno Joseph

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Hughes or Dobson, I prefer Hughes personally and he would be my choice here. However, Dobson grows on me by the day, everything I watch sells me more and if they don't choose one of those two I would be a little disappointed.

Boqvist would be probably my next one after that. Really not a fan of going Bouchard if these are our options.

Go Wings

Sep 26, 2009
Chatham, ON
I’m glad I don’t have to make the choice between Boqvist, Dobson, Bouchard, and Hughes. They all have unique skills that they are better at than the others. Just hoping Holland chooses right

1 or 2 of them could be drafted ahead of us which would make it easier. I also think Hughes is a step down from the rest. So if we are choosing between 2 of Boq, Bou and Dob then we should be able to get it right.

H3ckt1k

Jan 9, 2015
I don't think there's been a draft in recent memory where I've been so conflicted on who I want them to take. Boqvist is probably my first choice but I wouldn't be upset with any of Bouchard/Hughes/Dobson

Reactions: Fire Ken Holland

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Oh dear to the Sabres fans that didn't 100% go with Dahlin? YIKES! Some of them went with Tkachuk, yowzaas!

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Most of the votes are for Boqvist but nobody who is posting here seems to want him. That's weird

The two concussion thing is a little scary! He hasn't even hit pro hockey yet in NA, and the game only gets worse physcially, it is definitely understandable to be worried about it, in my opinion. Also isn't he on the small side, or am I wrong?

Reactions: lilidk

TheMule93

On a mule rides the swindler
May 26, 2015
Ontario
Hughes or Dobson, I prefer Hughes personally and he would be my choice here. However, Dobson grows on me by the day, everything I watch sells me more and if they don't choose one of those two I would be a little disappointed.

Boqvist would be probably my next one after that. Really not a fan of going Bouchard if these are our options.

Yeah I'm not as high on Bouchard as a lot of others seem to be (I still like him though) . Im not confident he has the ability to put up good offense in the NHL I'd prefer a dynamic skater like Hughes and Boqvist, or to a lesser extent Dobson.

As for my pick, as others have said id be fine with any of them so id explore trading down for a spot or two. If that doesn't happen i go boqvist (unless his concussion problems are...a problem) otherwise I go Hughes. But again no matter who it is im happy :)

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
I will be happy if Boqvist will be drafted before #6 , but most likely he will be 8-10 . Lindros suppose to be next one , but

DetroitRed

Crashes the Crease
Apr 7, 2013
Detroit
The two concussion thing is a little scary! He hasn't even hit pro hockey yet in NA, and the game only gets worse physcially, it is definitely understandable to be worried about it, in my opinion. Also isn't he on the small side, or am I wrong?
He would be about two inches shorter than the average NHL defender today, and about one inch shorter than the average forward.

Also, he's about three inches shorter than the average Norris Trophy winner from he last 10 to 12 years. Actually, it's been about a quarter of a century since we've had a Norris winner who was so short.

Last edited:
Reactions: Oddbob

turkleton85

Dec 12, 2017
the more time i spent watching highlights of these four guys, i like dobson more and more as well. I'm now at a point where any of the four defenders would make me happy. Hughes skillset is extremely exciting, but imagining dobson becoming a player like pietrangelo is almost to much to pass on

Marky9er

Jan 30, 2008
I went with Boqvist but I had forgotten about the concussions concern in that moment. I was really impressed with Bouchard in the prospects game, and my gut screams pick Dobson so I guess I will likely be happy with the pick we do make. Concerns all around. Usually the draft is made up of groupings that grow exponentially as you go down the tiers. Happy to be in one of the smaller tiers this year.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010

What’s your biggest concern with Bouchard?

Ulysses31

Oct 7, 2015
What's a computer?
I keep going back and forth on Boqvist, Bouchard, Dobson, and Hughes. So I guess in an ideal world we would trade back a couple spots in this situation.

Right now I'm back on Bouchard, so I'll go with him. I think his ability to get shots through from the point can pair well with our useless 3rd line plug we drafted last year that is only good at deflecting shots.

Agree with you about D fence but i see rassmussen having a dynamite year..20goals/50poins as a rookie

Marky9er

Jan 30, 2008
Agree with you about D fence but i see rassmussen having a dynamite year..20goals/50poins as a rookie
I'm going to laugh if Rasmussen is a Calder finalist. The conditions are ripe for it to happen. One dimensional plug lol.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
What’s your biggest concern with Bouchard?

His skating is it for me. He doesn't have the greatest mechanics and he isn't a start and stop guy either. It isn't terrible to be sure, but a lot of his defensive issues exist for him because of his skating. So when they are happening, it is because he glides to areas. He doesn't have the best edge work on top of not having the greatest acceleration or top end gear.

While it isn't bad, it gives me a second pairing feel. I mean when projecting him in a way I want to see him hit he reminds me of a Alex Edler in Vancouver. A really good player, I am not trying to argue that I don't think Bouchard will play in the league.

But you have asked this as well, name me the #1 D-man in the league that isn't a great skater? Bouchard isn't going to be as physically imposing as Pronger, Weber or Chara and frankly while he has some nice weapons he doesn't have their arsenal either in terms of shot even if he has a very good one. If he is who we wind up with though and I want to make this clear before the pick which I probably should have done with Rasmussen it isn't the end of the world. He has a lot of positives, after the U18s and more film analysis on these guys he has fallen to 10 on my list though, so I will say I would be a little disappointed if he is the guy we wind up with is all. I had him at #5 though at one point this season, so I mean there is a lot to like. I just want to maximize skill and speed in this draft and I think there are better options in my opinion.

He does a great job of transitioning the puck but sometimes he forces it up ice. I think that does fit the league, he doesn't want to have the puck on his stick for very long and that is a trait I like in D-man. But I do think transporting it is also important at times in this league unless you have a ridiculous ability to distribute and that is harder to tell at this level. I just wonder on the athleticism in terms of Bouchard at times and there are guys that have monumental ceilings around him. I guess if he makes gains in certain areas, all of these guys could have big ceilings I just believe more in the other D-man is all, personal preference.

Last edited:

Cyborg Yzerberg

Nov 8, 2007
Philadelphia
I'm going to laugh if Rasmussen is a Calder finalist. The conditions are ripe for it to happen. One dimensional plug lol.

I don’t think they are. Conditions are ripe for Vilardi to win though, who Kings fans are saying that he is going to be playing with Carter or Kopitar next year.

Having the 6th pick is so damn stressful. I’m not into Bouchard, I think he’s a safe pick with little NHL offensive upside, I’m worried about Boqvist’s concussion history, I’m concerned with Hughes’ size, and I’m concerned with Dobson’s overall ceiling.

I think there are limiting factors in any of them achieving their top pairing potential, and it stresses me out.

It’s part of the reason that taking Zadina, Tkachuk, or Wahlstrom wouldn’t upset me. I think all three of them are going to develop into top line wingers, whereas all the defensemen after Dahlin, I’m not sure if they develop into top pairing defensemen.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I saw this in another thread and it really helps clear up the Evan Bouchard skating thing. My interpretation: he's not quite Dobson and he won't catch McDavid, but in terms of raw speed he's going to be fine.

I’d like to know how that kid got access to the full testing results...

But yeah, Bouchard did finish 2nd in the backward skate. So his skating might not be that bad, it really just look that way because he plays way too many minutes. Although that doesn’t really speak to his lateral movement at all, keep in mind that is just straight line skating.

I actually think Dobson could get even faster as he fills out more, which would be scary.

Last edited:

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
His skating is it for me. He doesn't have the greatest mechanics and he isn't a start and stop guy either. It isn't terrible to be sure, but a lot of his defensive issues exist for him because of his skating. So when they are happening, it is because he glides to areas. He doesn't have the best edge work on top of not having the greatest acceleration or top end gear.

While it isn't bad, it gives me a second pairing feel. I mean when projecting him in a way I want to see him hit he reminds me of a Alex Edler in Vancouver. A really good player, I am not trying to argue that I don't think Bouchard will play in the league.

But you have asked this as well, name me the #1 D-man in the league that isn't a great skater? Bouchard isn't going to be as physically imposing as Pronger, Weber or Chara and frankly while he has some nice weapons he doesn't have their arsenal either in terms of shot even if he has a very good one. If he is who we wind up with though and I want to make this clear before the pick which I probably should have done with Rasmussen it isn't the end of the world. He has a lot of positives, after the U18s and more film analysis on these guys he has fallen to 10 on my list though, so I will say I would be a little disappointed if he is the guy we wind up with is all. I had him at #5 though at one point this season, so I mean there is a lot to like. I just want to maximize skill and speed in this draft and I think there are better options in my opinion.

He does a great job of transitioning the puck but sometimes he forces it up ice. I think that does fit the league, he doesn't want to have the puck on his stick for very long and that is a trait I like in D-man. But I do think transporting it is also important at times in this league unless you have a ridiculous ability to distribute and that is harder to tell at this level. I just wonder on the athleticism in terms of Bouchard at times and there are guys that have monumental ceilings around him. I guess if he makes gains in certain areas, all of these guys could have big ceilings I just believe more in the other D-man is all, personal preference.

Yeah, that’s valid. Maybe it’s from watching Carlson (who he gets compared to) control the PP last night so well, but I do think his shot and vision make up for his skating a bit.

He did test pretty well at the Top Prospects Game. I wonder if his “issues” (skating and defensive play) get exaggerated a bit because of how many minutes he played.

But I do have him 4th in that grouping.

For me it’s:
Dobson
Boqvist
Hughes
Bouchard

I would be good with any of those guys, but that would be my pecking order. Each has a skill set that would be a big boost to our pipeline. Boqvist and Bouchard would complement Rasmussen and the net front guys so well.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad