2018 Forbes NHL values. NYR tops at $1.55B. Average $630m

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
The NHL’s Most Valuable Teams

Values rising.

Still not convinced? Look at the recent local cable deals. The Stanley Cup champion Washington Capitals began a new deal with NBC last year for 15 years that is worth twice its previous deal. The annual rights fee to the team doubled to more than $35 million a season, and on top of that, the Capitals have an ownership stake in the regional sports network. Even the lowly Buffalo Sabres kicked in a new 12-year deal with MSG Network last season that doubled its rights fee to an annual average of more than $25 million.

The top of the list—New York Rangers ($1.55 billion), Toronto Maple Leafs ($1.45 billion), Montreal Canadiens ($1.3 billion), Chicago Blackhawks ($1.05 billion) AND Boston Bruins ($925 million)—is dominated by the Original Six teams that are great brands with rich local television and sponsorship deals.

As a result, the value of the average NHL team rose 6% during the past year, to a record $630 million.

But the most important team in the NHL may be its newest: the Vegas Golden Knights, which, in 2018, became the league's first expansion team to make the Stanley Cup finals in its debut. The Knights took in $180 million in revenue in the past year—the tenth highest in hockey—and $53 million in operating income, the fifth highest among the league's 31 teams. The Knights are now worth $575 million, 15% more than their expansion fee.[/Still not convinced? Look at the recent local cable deals. The Stanley Cup champion Washington Capitals began a new deal with NBC last year for 15 years that is worth twice its previous deal. The annual rights fee to the team doubled to more than $35 million a season, and on top of that, the Capitals have an ownership stake in the regional sports network. Even the lowly Buffalo Sabres kicked in a new 12-year deal with MSG Network last season that doubled its rights fee to an annual average of more than $25 million.

The top of the list—New York Rangers ($1.55 billion), Toronto Maple Leafs ($1.45 billion), Montreal Canadiens ($1.3 billion), Chicago Blackhawks ($1.05 billion) AND Boston Bruins ($925 million)—is dominated by the Original Six teams that are great brands with rich local television and sponsorship deals.

As a result, the value of the average NHL team rose 6% during the past year, to a record $630 million.

But the most important team in the NHL may be its newest: the Vegas Golden Knights, which, in 2018, became the league's first expansion team to make the Stanley Cup finals in its debut. The Knights took in $180 million in revenue in the past year—the tenth highest in hockey—and $53 million in operating income, the fifth highest among the league's 31 teams. The Knights are now worth $575 million, 15% more than their expansion fee.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
Always friendly reminder, make sure you take these with some hefty grains of salt.

That being said, I am going to be interested in seeing what happens to the Hawks value now that the golden era is unquestionably over going forward.

Reactions: Agalloch

Ernie

Aug 3, 2004
More interesting numbers from the full list:
  • Highest operating loss: Florida Panthers, $21m
  • Biggest 1 year value change: Washington Capitals, 16%
  • Lowest value: Arizona Coyotes, $290m

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Always friendly reminder, make sure you take these with some hefty grains of salt.

That being said, I am going to be interested in seeing what happens to the Hawks value now that the golden era is unquestionably over going forward.

Forbes even admits they undervalue the Bruins

TD Center is a mid-size NHL arena, but the Bruins make a lot of money because they own the building and have sold out every game since December 2009. This enables the team to profit from non-NHL events like concerts. Not included in our valuation of the Bruins is their 20% ownership stake in NESN (the Red Sox own 80%), one the most profitable regional sports networks. NESN generated cash flow (in the sense of earnings before interest, taxes, depreciation and amortization) of more than $170 million in 2017. The team raised ticket prices 7% on average for the 2018-19 season after two straight years of price freezes.

It is impossible to put a true worth on Delaware North's Boston operations the way the family structures their holdings. In any event, their initial investment was $10 million in 1975 of which only $2 million was in cash.

Reactions: generalshepherd141

LeHab

Aug 31, 2005
I just don't see how they survive with that much debt and without an arena. I guess the guy from Houston could buy them for 350-400M.

If we are to believe Forbes numbers, Franchise value is around $290m (equity $590m + $300m debt). Borroway is reportedly looking to sell at a valuation of $500m. Good luck finding buyers at that price.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
If we are to believe Forbes numbers, Franchise value is around $290m (equity $590m + $300m debt). Borroway is reportedly looking to sell at a valuation of $500m. Good luck finding buyers at that price.
If that’s just the price of the team before a relocation fee, that’s pretty steep. Houston is a location that it would be worth the price. I doubt it would be worth it for Quebec, KC, Milwaukee to pay that and $100 million plus for relocation as well.

FartMilk

Jan 19, 2019
Teams with recent Cups have shot up considerably in value (Blackhawks x3, Kings x2, Penguins x3, Bruins x1, Capitals x1). No surprise. What's impressive is that teams like the Rangers, Flyers, Canucks haven't won in decades and are still near the top.

Kane One

Feb 6, 2010
Brooklyn, New NY
Teams with recent Cups have shot up considerably in value (Blackhawks x3, Kings x2, Penguins x3, Bruins x1, Capitals x1). No surprise. What's impressive is that teams like the Rangers, Flyers, Canucks haven't won in decades and are still near the top.
Well the Rangers and Flyers are one of few (if not the only two) American teams to borderline sell out whether or not the team is good.

Reactions: voyageur

Dirty Old Man

So funny I forgot to laugh
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2008
Ostrich City
and who on earth, may I ask, is this 'andres j' responsible for this?... I see there is a 'create your own' button, perhaps I should create one telling a different story?

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
Meh..... people have been saying for a decade they'll "never" stay in Arizona another year. :sarcasm:

BTW.... last I checked..... Forbes doesn't set the price on what the NHL wants for a franchise.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad