OT: 2018 Football Thread II: Everyone sucks!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
One big takeaway from the defense: If camp and the first game is any indication, here, Ogletree is flat out terrible against TEs. He's been getting torched all camp, apparently, and looked brutal against a very good TE last night. We were warned about this by Rams fans, but it's really on display without the help he had from his Rams teammates. Yeesh.
Death, taxes, and the New York Giants inability to cover TEs.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Oh, also, Jonathan Stewart is beyond shot. That we have him for $3.4M guaranteed is laughable.

I can't recall a slower runner or worse blocker as a Giants RB than him.

Last edited:

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
So, tonight, guys I want to watch are:

Dylan Donohue - Presumably will be suspended to start the year, but need to see if he can be the rush linebacker
Nathan Shepherd - Big man has supposedly looked really good and a lot more technically sound than anticipated
Parry Nickerson - He has supposedly been pretty good, looking to win a spot in the crowded secondary
Sam Darnold - obviously
Spencer Long - He'll need to be at least average for the offense to have any success
Trenton Cannon - They drafted him primarily to return kicks but apparently he has opened eyes running the ball; also, can he field punts?
The Ks - Santos is assumed to have the job, but they apparently love Bertolet
The TEs: Clive Walford has the experience, Leggett and Herndon have the upside, Tomlinson is the blocker, plus Sterling
The WRs: How does Enunwa look? Also does Pryor still suck, is Hansen ready; they have 12 WR on the roster

I guess this is mainly a preseason-long watch. There are some other guys like Trinnaman, Bryant, and Wint that I want to follow as well.

Reactions: Hunter Gathers

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
It makes sense. The greatest play in the past 25 years of Giants football was a throw that was about 3 feet over someone's head.
Conversely: Eli makes an amazing play to avoid getting sacked, and throws a jump ball in a spot where only his guy or no one can get it.

Obviously what Tyree did on that play was impossibly remarkably, but let's not turn that into being a bad Eli play.

Boy this is gonna be a long year. Looking like another thread I'm not going to want to read or post in.

It occurred to me on the way to the bathroom just now that you may be referencing the OBJ catch in which yes, that was insane. But also keep in mind that maybe if Odell isn't deliberately grabbed, that he doesn't need to make that play the way he did. NOT TAKING ANYTHING AWAY FROM ODELL BECAUSE THAT CATCH WAS HUMANLY IMPOSSIBLE.

Last edited:
Reactions: romba

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC

Dylan Donohue - Presumably will be suspended to start the year, but need to see if he can be the rush linebacker
Nathan Shepherd - Big man has supposedly looked really good and a lot more technically sound than anticipated
Parry Nickerson - He has supposedly been pretty good, looking to win a spot in the crowded secondary
Sam Darnold - obviously
Spencer Long - He'll need to be at least average for the offense to have any success
Trenton Cannon - They drafted him primarily to return kicks but apparently he has opened eyes running the ball; also, can he field punts?
The TEs: Clive Walford has the experience, Leggett and Herndon have the upside, Tomlinson is the blocker, plus Sterling
The WRs: How does Enunwa look? Also does Pryor still suck, is Hansen ready; they have 12 WR on the roster

I guess this is mainly a preseason-long watch. There are some other guys like Trinnaman, Bryant, and Wint that I want to follow as well.

Has Donohue shown anything? Whats to watch on him? I'm not trying to be snarky, but I'm not sure anyone would know who he is if he didnt get bombed and drive into the tunnel the wrong way.

JimmyG89

May 1, 2010
Conversely: Eli makes an amazing play to avoid getting sacked, and throws a jump ball in a spot where only his guy or no one can get it.

Obviously what Tyree did on that play was impossibly remarkably, but let's not turn that into being a bad Eli play.

Boy this is gonna be a long year.

It occurred to me on the way to the bathroom just now that you may be referencing the OBJ catch in which yes, that was insane. But also keep in mind that maybe if Odell isn't deliberately grabbed, that he doesn't need to make that play the way he did. NOT TAKING ANYTHING AWAY FROM ODELL BECAUSE THAT CATCH WAS HUMANLY IMPOSSIBLE.

So the two greatest plays in the last 25 years of Giants football have been throws 3 feet over someone's head

sbjnyc

Jun 28, 2011
New York

Sam Darnold - obviously

Donohue is going to rush the QB in the wrong direction and crash into a ref.

romba

Aug 2, 2005
New Jersey
You put it on a tee. I had to hit it.

I know sarcasm is hard to pick up, but it's a legit issue with Eli. He's not the most accurate passer, never has been.
Yea that’s Eli, take the good with the bad and hope you end up with a Super Bowl lol. You know it’s going to be a rough day when he’s air mailing the 5 yard checkdowns and escaping sacks by throwing it lefty

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Yea that’s Eli, take the good with the bad and hope you end up with a Super Bowl lol. You know it’s going to be a rough day when he’s air mailing the 5 yard checkdowns.

That's actually why I'm glad they gave him a good amount of reps yesterday. We all know he's a seriously slow starter. So let's bang the rust off now rather than next week.

mrmovies779

The Greatest Teacher,Failure is.
Feb 5, 2013
Also does Pryor still suck
Watching him last year as a Skins fan i can tell you he will drive you crazy at times.All the talent in the world yet takes off so many plays,you wonder if hes even in uniform most of the time.He'll have a nice 7 catch game 1 week and you wont hear his name called in the next 5 weeks.Really frustrating player.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Has Donohue shown anything? Whats to watch on him? I'm not trying to be snarky, but I'm not sure anyone would know who he is if he didnt get bombed and drive into the tunnel the wrong way.
Yeah Donahue looked good in camp last year and was starting to show some ability to get off the edge last year before he f***ed up his elbow. He is supposedly looking good in camp again. I mean he's never going to be a big-time player but he seemed lie a LB who could give you 4-5 sacks, which, while seemingly not that significant, would be helpful for the Jets since Mauldin and Lee haven't really developed as pass rushers from the LB spot.

He's been an intriguing player since the Jets picked him a couple years ago. Nothing super-noteworthy, but still. What really bears watching is if he or any of the other LBs/DLs can generate any pressure. If they can't the Jets might look to make a move like they did with Kearse/Richardson (great deal BTW) because even though they should have a very good secondary, if they can't generate any rush without big blitz packages they're in trouble. It's part of what lost them games late last season. Teams were behind and started to throw and the Jets couldn't generate pressure. So, Donahue is just a small part, but potentially part of the solution.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Watching him last year as a Skins fan i can tell you he will drive you crazy at times.All the talent in the world yet takes off so many plays,you wonder if hes even in uniform most of the time.He'll have a nice 7 catch game 1 week and you wont hear his name called in the next 5 weeks.Really frustrating player.
Yeah I saw most of the Washington Team games living in the suburbs. I remember how amusingly frustrating his season was. ;)

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
It makes sense. The greatest play in the past 25 years of Giants football was a throw that was about 3 feet over someone's head.

If you mean Brady missing Welker to win Super Bowl 2011, then sure.

Bob Richards

Mr. Mojo Risin'
Feb 9, 2011
Jersey
The greatest overthrow in Giants history also doesn't happen if Asante Samuel didn't have the worst interception in Giants history slip through his fingers literally the play before.

I love Eli to death but that sequence still makes me think deep into the night.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
I can see why they like Cannon. Great burst and shifty. He could be a really nice find. Rawls is done unless someone gets hurt. McGuire may be done, too, unless they carry 4 RBs, even though the staff really likes him.

Also, Teddy looks really solid. Really good to see. If Darnold looks good over this game and next and someone really needs a QB, Teddy should draw strong interest.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
I can see why they like Cannon. Great burst and shifty. He could be a really nice find. Rawls is done unless someone gets hurt. McGuire may be done, too, unless they carry 4 RBs, even though the staff really likes him.

Also, Teddy looks really solid. Really good to see. If Darnold looks good over this game and next and someone really needs a QB, Teddy should draw strong interest.

If Rawls had his way, the least talented football players would get the best training.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad