OT: 2018 Football Thread II: Everyone sucks!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
So guys, I got 1st overall pick in my newly-created fantasy keeper league.

12 teams, so in the 1st 3 rounds I have picks #1, #23, #24...

I'm torn between Gurley and Bell for the 1st overall, Gurley seems to have the higher upside considering the team he's on (e.g. I expect the Steelers to be meh this year)

I'm thinking McCafferey and then a WR for the other 2 picks. Thoughts?

sbjnyc

Jun 28, 2011
New York
Since it's a keeper league, I'd go with the younger guy who has a commitment from his present team. See DeMarco Murray.

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
Since it's a keeper league, I'd go with the younger guy who has a commitment from his present team. See DeMarco Murray.

If that's the case then I would take Barkley, but I'd rather save my keeper on a sleeper, or even forfeit it to grab a hot rookie who is up and coming

EDIT: Confirmed 1-4 Round picks cannot be kept

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
So, tonight, guys I want to watch are:

Dylan Donohue - Presumably will be suspended to start the year, but need to see if he can be the rush linebacker
Nathan Shepherd - Big man has supposedly looked really good and a lot more technically sound than anticipated
Parry Nickerson - He has supposedly been pretty good, looking to win a spot in the crowded secondary
Sam Darnold - obviously
Spencer Long - He'll need to be at least average for the offense to have any success
Trenton Cannon - They drafted him primarily to return kicks but apparently he has opened eyes running the ball; also, can he field punts?
The Ks - Santos is assumed to have the job, but they apparently love Bertolet
The TEs: Clive Walford has the experience, Leggett and Herndon have the upside, Tomlinson is the blocker, plus Sterling
The WRs: How does Enunwa look? Also does Pryor still suck, is Hansen ready; they have 12 WR on the roster

I guess this is mainly a preseason-long watch. There are some other guys like Trinnaman, Bryant, and Wint that I want to follow as well.
Donohue played well. Made some things happen.
Nickerson was injured.
Darnold looked great.
Long looked very good.
Cannon looked good out of the backfield--can't catch the punts though
Bertolet looked solid and has apparently been solid in all the practices, he might actually win the job
Herndon and Leggett were injured; Sterling did well, Walford is Walford
I don't think either Enunwa or Pryor played; Hansen did nothing

All in all most of the thing I hoped to see, I did. Eager now for Thursday. Sounds like Darnold might start and get to play with the first string. Sounded like he looked very good in the joint practice today, even throwing the deep balls for a change.

Reactions: Gardner McKay

sbjnyc

Jun 28, 2011
New York
If that's the case then I would take Barkley, but I'd rather save my keeper on a sleeper, or even forfeit it to grab a hot rookie who is up and coming

EDIT: Confirmed 1-4 Round picks cannot be kept
That's an interesting dynamic. Do you draft BPA or hope they drop to the 5th round for keeps.

JimmyG89

May 1, 2010
Darnold played pretty well, all things considered. He took a step up in talent level, as he played against Washington's 1s and 2s instead of Atlanta's 2s and 3s. He clearly needs more reps with the 1st team moving forward in camp. It seemed he had better chemistry with a rookie (McBride) then the other receivers.

The pick wasn't a good play overall, but in a regular season game, they aren't going for it there, they are taking the FG. It was a good move to see him in a pressure spot though.

Have to wonder if he'll get the start vs the Giants. Bridgewater has looked good in his two games and you have to wonder if he is going to start the game or if Darnold will get chance to win the job next week. This is the best QB situation I've seen the Jets ever in. 3 guys who could start and I think all three would do fairly well.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Webb looks worlds better today. His timing is much more like it was at Cal. That play with Gallman on the TD was great. Awesome move by Gallman to get open and Webb hit him well (was a touch behind on the throw, but still mostly on target).

Fvital92

Jul 7, 2017
Brazil
Davis Webb is a very talented guy. If he can actually put his tools into the toolbox, he can be a NFL QB. Tonight's game showed off what he can do when he gets the toolbox working.

He had a hell of a game tonight.
He is inaccurate and seems to have happy feet. Normally these type of problems aren't solved easily.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Well, it couldn't possibily be worse than last game, so there is that.
But he was inaccurate in a few passes, like the high throw in a slant on 3rd down.

If you're picking just one or two passes, that means he had a great game, dude. This isn't like a regular season game where we can criticize 30% of the passes Manning throws. Webb had an excellent night. He was hitting really tight windows, too.

Fvital92

Jul 7, 2017
Brazil
If you're picking just one or two passes, that means he had a great game, dude. This isn't like a regular season game where we can criticize 30% of the passes Manning throws. Webb had an excellent night. He was hitting really tight windows, too.
More like 3-4 passes that were pretty easy, reminded me of the bad Eli that we've seen this past couple of years to be truthfull.
We really f***ed up at the draft.

Matt4776

May 8, 2009
I’m nervous for the Jets this year. Our OL has a good shot of getting Darnold killed.

OL and EDGE are the two most important positions in football other than than QB. We are bottom 3 at best in both. We’ve only drafted ONE offensive lineman since Maccagnan took over. That has to change this offseason.

Though, Bosa sitting there when we pick would make the decision very tough...

Reactions: nyr2k2

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Yeah the O-line has been atrocious. Not that Winters is great, but getting him and Beachum back healthy should make things somewhere resembling mediocre though. Qvale, Ijalana and a few other guys filling in have been ghastly in their performances.

The pass rush will kill the team, though. It cost them in the fourth quarter last year. Was probably the difference between where they finished and being in the mix for that last WC spot. They couldn't generate a rush so they had to play lots of base dime packages, and then they'd get gashed by the run. So they'd put more men in the box and then the DBs were on islands for 5+ seconds each snap. Totally unsustainable.

I like a lot of what Mac has done, but we're going to have a zillion dollars in cap space again so he better address these issues, as well as in the draft.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad