World Cup: 2018 FIFA World Cup

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
I really don’t understand how people can’t see that Spain in 2010 was some of the most negative football played by a champion. Look at their goal totals. Sure, they had the ball at they’re feet, but once the 1-0 came, they did nothing with it.
When I wrote here ten years ago or so that that type of possession football was the ultimate defensive football I was mocked and flamed.
It ain't hard though. You keep the ball from the opponent and don't have to chase it. No better way to be out of danger.

Reactions: koyvoo

Suiteness

Mar 14, 2003
Time to Rebuild
Visit site
Sucks that two south American teams were knocked out with their best players out injured. I don't know if Uruguay beats France with Cavani but Colombia probably walks to the semi's in lieu of England with an healthy James.

Last edited:

member 305909

It's a team-sport; no one man, no matter how big a star, can make such a crucial difference.

Suiteness

Mar 14, 2003
Time to Rebuild
Visit site
It's a team-sport; no one man, no matter how big a star, can make such a crucial difference.

I disagree, this isn't club football, these smaller nations are more reliant on certain players than others. If Modric hurts himself in the group stages, no amount of team game could have made up for his absence for them to still reach the final.

Theokritos

Global Moderator
Apr 6, 2010

Cavani vs Portugal was the difference between a 2-1 win and a 0-1 loss.

Also, England vs Colombia was tied after 120 minutes. A healthy James Rodríguez could certainly have made the difference.

Paulie Gualtieri

R.I.P. Tony Sirico
May 18, 2016
To be fair, most of Trippier's chances created are set pieces.

Vrsaljko and Meunier had a better than him at RB.

Not sure if I agree that Vrsaljko and Meunier were necessarily better. I think one can make a case for all of them, and Pavard too.

I've had plenty of criticism aimed towards Trippier as a Spurs player. Too slow, can barely dribble, not strong enough, etc. But he has looked great as a wingback this World Cup. Sadly I think Poch will stick with a back four.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
So Croatia had the visit of a singer who's apparently an ultra-nationalist in their bus. They instagramed pictures with him and all. This guy is an apologist of neo-nazis it seems.

Is someone with more in knowledge of the situation able to explain this? @HajdukSplit ?

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
To be fair, most of Trippier's chances created are set pieces.

Vrsaljko and Meunier had a better than him at RB.

I like Vrsaljko, but I really don´t see how Meunier played any better. Trippier in that Belgium team would be deadly with the form he showed during the WC.

And creating changes from set-pieces still count you know.

Islesfan22

Jan 15, 2013
Rockland
So Croatia had the visit of a singer who's apparently an ultra-nationalist in their bus. They instagramed pictures with him and all. This guy is an apologist of neo-nazis it seems.

Is someone with more in knowledge of the situation able to explain this? @HajdukSplit ?
So i guess all the players are fascists as well. Get out of here with the political bull crap.

Luigi Habs

Captain Saku
Jul 30, 2005
Montreal
People complaining about France are out of touch.

France potted 4 against Argentina and 4 in the final against Croatia. They also scored 2 against what i consider the best center backline in the tournament. And won against Belgium whom would have been equally deserving of winning the cup. What would one expect more from a WC winner?

In 2014 Germany were not much impressive - aside from their trashing vs Brazil they were really not much better than their opponents.

In 2010 Spain were the best side but their play bored the entire world to death. Italy in 2006 weren’t much deserving either.

Belgium are the only team that can be in the conversation along with France for a deserving WC. And they got beaten by France. Croatia got there by luck. Some of their games were a total snooze fest.

I dislike Deschamps and his tactics but he got the job done. He implemented a structure, and despite the young squad he had, he got them to play together, and remain focus. In fact, France are much advanced to the schedule. I had them winning the WC in 2022 after their top young players mature a bit. The scary part is that their starting 11 should remain intact in 4 years aside from Matuidi and Giroud. And that’s a team where players like Dembele, Lemar, Fekir and Mendy didn’t play a major role AND Rabiot not even on the squad. That’s very impressive and very scary.

Reactions: Evilo and Harry22

Harry22

Mar 28, 2005
Montreal
To be deserving winners you need to:

- win each game at least 3-0
- do not score on free kicks that might not have been free kicks
- win every game in regular time
- control at least 80% of the possession in every game
- reject penalty kicks that are very judgmental
- only attack. Don’t play defense
- get the opponents blessing before scoring

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016

What? Is that too much to ask?

Reactions: N o o d l e s

theVladiator

May 26, 2018

I think it's much simpler really. All you need to be a deserving winner is the losing side that doesn't complain about it.

member 305909

It's probably goodbye Messi, goodbye Ronaldo, goodb.ye Suarez. Very unlikely that any of them would still be around in four years time

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
So i guess all the players are fascists as well. Get out of here with the political bull crap.
Not only have I never said that, but this is coming from someone who said french people are rioting. :facepalm:
I asked for information, and the responses were clear (albeit in the other thread).

Reactions: Corto and Ivan13

Corto

Faceless Man
Sep 28, 2005
Braavos
Not only have I never said that, but this is coming from someone who said french people are rioting. :facepalm:
I asked for information, and the responses were clear (albeit in the other thread).

I just wanna add to this, that singer did sort of put a damper on the mood at the end.

He sang one song (the "anthem") one, which was fine... (he shouldn't be there, but okay).

Then Modric asked for another song (again, I don't think these players, as limited as they are in any sort of political knowledge appreciate that it gets complicated, that a LOT of people are offended by this dude) and the people running the show basically went "good night" and mic dropped as they were probably told that the world was watching and that having the guy on the stage who's a symbol for the far right isn't perhaps the wisest thing in the world.

The crowd started getting restless (Zagreb is the capital and has a large part of more global, liberal population) and it was getting awkward.
I don't know if many people noticed it, but I did.

Again, I don't blame the players, but it's definitely a black mark on an otherwise awe-inspiring day.
The on-stage part of the celebrations were by far the worst part of the day, from the singer appearance to the two absolute donkeys running the program.

Reactions: Ivan13

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad