World Cup: 2018 FIFA World Cup

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Nigeria would have been my other sleeper pick but the whole same group as Croatia made me have to pick one.

Always love seeing a good run from an African team!

KJS14

Jun 13, 2013
I don't think anyone is saying that Wilshere would be a world beater here, but he's clearly a better player than the midfielders that were selected ahead of him.

Paulie Gualtieri

R.I.P. Tony Sirico
May 18, 2016
I'm saying this without even taking Wilshere's atrocious fitness into account.

Loftus-Cheek really isn't much worse of a player and will most surely feature many times for England in future years if you ask me.

As for Delph he is a highly versatile player who has largely played well for Pep Guardiola's record-breaking Manchester City side. Kinda speaks for itself.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
Possession is really overrated to begin with, in the context taken here. Look at the CL Final lol.

England's only real chances to win big games are on the counter. Their midfield isn't ever going to have possession, they don't have that quality, Wilshere included.

KJS14

Jun 13, 2013
Neither of those players are better than Wilshere. Delph is a good utility player, but he's not better in midfield and they already took 4 fullbacks so I have to assume that's the role he'll fill. As for Loftus-Cheek....lol.

phisherman

Apr 17, 2015
Possession is really overrated to begin with, in the context taken here. Look at the CL Final lol.

England's only real chances to win big games are on the counter. Their midfield isn't ever going to have possession, they don't have that quality, Wilshere included.

Except Southgate has been preaching a possession game. And you're wrong about Wilshere.

This team is built for hoofball.

A well rested Wilshere and an underachieving England will make me happy.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015

I still think it would be worth bringing Jack along for when England need some creativity. Plus he is a solid at creating chances from a deep lying position, not that you would want him in a DM position, but ge would compliment a more defensive mid well

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
Except Southgate has been preaching a possession game. And you're wrong about Wilshere.

This team is built for hoofball.

A well rested Wilshere and an underachieving England will make me happy.

I'm not wrong, Wilshere isn't going to cause England to have spells of possession against teams like Spain or Belgium. It will never happen so they decided not to bring him at all. I didn't say he doesn't have possession quality, but that he isn't a midfielder anywhere near what other teams have. Which is true.

Their other midfielders and their forwards are best on the counter.

KJS14

Jun 13, 2013
Wilshere isn't any worse on the counter than Delph or Loftus-Cheek.... He just happens to be better in possession as well. And I like Delph, he's a valuable utility guy, don't get me wrong.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
Wilshere isn't any worse on the counter than Delph or Loftus-Cheek.... He just happens to be better in possession as well. And I like Delph, he's a valuable utility guy, don't get me wrong.

I didn't say they shouldn't bring him. Just why his possession attributes are mostly useless in this scenario, they'll barely have the ball anyway.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Should've taken Sancho instead of three RB's. They need a player who can create attacking chances. They don't have that many of those players.

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
Agreed with LITN on England’s chances with possession. They’re not going to control games. Set up to counter. Their midfield options are absolutely awful.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
He's also good, but he is playing his football in a league that is far off what the World Cup is. Sancho plays in a better league, and is better adjusted to the players that will be faced at the World Cup.

Yes and he's loads better than that league.

Suarez played in the Eredivisie and owned the 2010 WC, Enner Valencia played in Mexico and scored 3 goals too. That part does not matter that much. He's done more than Sancho at senior level and at the Euro U19 was top scorer. If bringing a young attacker who hasn't done great at top level it should be Sessegnon, who is also left footed. They do not have that.

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
Agreed with LITN on England’s chances with possession. They’re not going to control games. Set up to counter. Their midfield options are absolutely awful.

They've also got several attackers who can do great in a counter attack system in Vardy and Rashford. Kane's more built for a team that has possession, but it's not like he'll be bad.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad