Prospect Info: 2018 Draft: Round 3 , Pick #87 - Linus Karlsson, C (Karlskrona Jr. / Swe Jr)

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
anyone have any info on if he was taken in the CHL import draft and if he has any intentions of coming over?

He was not selected.

CHL

Generally I don't think you see many Swedes picked unless they're stuck on their organization's Jr squad. From all accounts, Karlsson is going to play next year with the men's Karlskrona side in the Allsvenskan (2nd division, a notch below the SHL) so that's likely a better place for him in terms of level of competition/talent.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
He was not selected.

CHL

Generally I don't think you see many Swedes picked unless they're stuck on their organization's Jr squad. From all accounts, Karlsson is going to play next year with the men's Karlskrona side in the Allsvenskan (2nd division, a notch below the SHL) so that's likely a better place for him in terms of level of competition/talent.

This may be an unpopular opinion but I think a forward taken in the 3rd round should aim higher than to play for a European 2nd league team post draft. To compare, Pajuniemi, Rangers 5th round pick, played 41 games (including playoffs) for TPS Turku last season. Karlsson played some SHL last season. I'm not sure why he'd want to play Allsvenskan now. Of course...he'll play against men, too but the level is honestly pretty low...

Reactions: one2gamble

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
This may be an unpopular opinion but I think a forward taken in the 3rd round should aim higher than to play for a European 2nd league team post draft. To compare, Pajuniemi, Rangers 5th round pick, played 41 games (including playoffs) for TPS Turku last season. Karlsson played some SHL last season. I'm not sure why he'd want to play Allsvenskan now. Of course...he'll play against men, too but the level is honestly pretty low...

The level of the average CHL competition isn't super great either. I mean it's good enough for the average draft-eligible guy or the non-superstar post-draft 18 year olds, but on the whole your bog-standard CHLer with zero pro aspirations is usually pretty mediocre.

Given the choice, if he's playing against less-than-elite-league level competition, I'd rather it be in a league of men rather than a league of teenagers.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
The level of the average CHL competition isn't super great either. I mean it's good enough for the average draft-eligible guy or the non-superstar post-draft 18 year olds, but on the whole your bog-standard CHLer with zero pro aspirations is usually pretty mediocre.

Given the choice, if he's playing against less-than-elite-league level competition, I'd rather it be in a league of men rather than a league of teenagers.

No it's not but he'd at least play on the smaller ice and get used to NA in general. He'd also play a tougher schedule closer to the NHL. European schedules are mostly pretty light. I don't think there's much to learn for him in the Allsvenskan. He played some SHL last season so his goal should be to become a regular in that league.

Jul 10, 2010
No it's not but he'd at least play on the smaller ice and get used to NA in general. He'd also play a tougher schedule closer to the NHL. European schedules are mostly pretty light. I don't think there's much to learn for him in the Allsvenskan. He played some SHL last season so his goal should be to become a regular in that league.
this is kinda what i was thinking as well. get use to long schedules and the smaller ice.

Gene Parmesan

Dedicated to babies who came feet first
Jul 23, 2009
California
this is kinda what i was thinking as well. get use to long schedules and the smaller ice.

The schedule thing is overrated. The toughest adjustment for players is the size and strength and speed of NHL players. That's why I think the NCAA is best for dudes that need to grow. They get to work with really good S&C staffs especially at the B1G schools.

Steel Fishbowl

Jan 22, 2018

I agree that Karlsson should be aiming to play in the SHL but unfortunately his organization's team was relegated to Allsvenskan which is why he'll be playing there next year

Crewouse

Mar 30, 2016
Could he ask for a trade? Is that common in Sweden or is more a rarity?

KHK-talangen kan lämna – jagas av SHL-klubbar

Swedish article from April this year, it's about Karlsson being wanted by a few SHL teams and the Karlskrona manager saying it's unlikely that Karlsson will still be with the team next season.
He's still with the team though, but at least other teams showed interest in him so if he plays well in Allsvenskan I'm sure he will at least be in the SHL for the 19/20 season.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
KHK-talangen kan lämna – jagas av SHL-klubbar

Swedish article from April this year, it's about Karlsson being wanted by a few SHL teams and the Karlskrona manager saying it's unlikely that Karlsson will still be with the team next season.
He's still with the team though, but at least other teams showed interest in him so if he plays well in Allsvenskan I'm sure he will at least be in the SHL for the 19/20 season.

Doesn't need to be SHL. There are also other possible leagues. Always good to have loyal players but he should definitely look for a job elsewhere.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad