Prospect Info: 2018 Draft: Round 1, Pick #21 - Ryan Merkley, D (Guelph Storm/OHL)

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
I think he could be pretty similar to Dan Boyle.

If everything goes right, he’s Dan Boyle. Still could be a valuable sheltered third pairing offensive guy who can QB the first PP unit even if he doesn’t hit his top-end upside. If he can figure out his issues and put consistent effort into his game, he’ll be a good one.

Friday

Apr 25, 2014
LA
It's nothing major. He's a serial killer.

I'm kinda wary because most Sharks fans are happy with the pick. We know what happens when Sharks fans are happy. We get Petrecki and Goldobin.
He doesnt have any issues on the offensive side though, he has an anger problem and a perceived effort problem. Cool part is hes open about his mental health and what he needs to work on, I think thats a good sign.

Reactions: SharkAttack86

Maladroit

May 9, 2018
Berkeley, CA
Posted this in the other thread but the only other defensemen drafted in the past 15 years to average at least 0.8 points per game in their 16 and 17 year old CHL season are Drew Doughty, Alex Pietrangelo, Ryan Ellis and Michael Del Zotto. You rarely get a player with this level of talent 21st overall.

weastern bias

worst team in the league
Feb 3, 2012
SJ
Glad to see we went boom/bust in the late 1st, we need players with truly high upside in the org looking forward

Satastic

Nazi punks **** off
Sep 12, 2014
Riverbank, CA
He may bust, he may turn out amazing

I’m just happy we took someone that’s isn’t a low ceiling/meh reward kind of player
This pick makes me excited

PacificOceanPotion

Jun 19, 2009
I trust he'll grow mentally and physically in the coming years. Cant wait to see the player he could be if he realizes his potential. Btw, can anybody name the last #6 in a Sharks uni?

Maladroit

May 9, 2018
Berkeley, CA
I trust he'll grow mentally and physically in the coming years. Cant wait to see the player he could be if he realizes his potential. Btw, can anybody name the last #6 in a Sharks uni?

Ozolinsh and if all goes well Merkley turns into a similar type of player. I guess Gorges is technically the most recent though.

Lindgren

Jun 30, 2005
His comments in the clip posted above certainly sound promising. Even if he's been coached on what to say, it seems that he really does understand what his problems are and what needs doing. Looks promising for the Sharks (speaking as a Canucks fan). I particularly liked his response to the question about being asked the same question repeatedly.

Mattb124

Apr 29, 2011
This board is filled with apologists, flippantly assuming a 17 year old could potentially mature and work past his anger issues...and acne.

He is like a Jumbo junior puck whisperer, such slick passing and vision.

Maladroit

May 9, 2018
Berkeley, CA
If Merkley was born three weeks later he'd be eligible for next year's draft instead. This kid is super young and has a lot of time to figure out the alleged attitude issues as well as his defensive game. All things being equal younger players historically develop much better because even six to eight extra months of development makes a big difference at that age. An Evan Bouchard or Quinn Hughes are much closer to being the finished product version of themselves than Merkley is right now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad