2018 Draft: 1st pick: Evan Bouchard (D) - Signs ELC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
87 points in 67 games is pretty wild. It looks even more wild when you see that the next closest player on the Knights had 54. And then also kind of wild that his point per game pace went up after the Knights traded away Thomas and Miletic. He went from 1.23ppg to 1.4ppg

38 points in 27 games after those two were traded away
49 points in 40 games before.

He was tied for 7th in OHL scoring.

His offensive numbers are crazy.

*I've never seen him play a game in my life.

Smart Alek

Jul 13, 2002
I admit that I have little idea about the player, but his offensive production in the OHL seems insane for a defenceman.

Someone who knows him better, where do you think he is next year and how far from NHL?

From what I've seen of him, he does everything 'right'. Good vision, good passer, and a great shot that he likes to use. What he's not though, is dynamic. Offensively, he reminds me a lot of Aaron Ekblad... and I don't necessarily mean that as a compliment. He's great in junior, and he'll be good in the NHL (will probably make it up next year), but he's not a shifty, creative quarterback. Though since Boqvist was already taken, I can't fault Chiarelli. He took the best offensive D-Man available.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
I don't think so personally. As was mentioned, he outscored everyone on his team by a lot, and this was a low scoring London team. Any inflation from ice-time (and thats a debate in itself given the fatigue factor) was covered by not being on a very good offensive team. I have zero worries about his offensive game. His shot, playmaking, vision, and breakout pass are all elite, and his shot toolkit is very well rounded. Booming slap shot, hard accurate wrist shot, great ability to change angles and get pucks both through and on net, and knows how to keep shots low for deflections.

Appreciate the input.

In terms of the ice time I think it really speaks to Bouchards ability to log huge minutes, manage his energy and still be able to perform at a very high level. The last player on the Oilers that I saw do that was Chris Pronger.

If Bouchard can be 75% of Pronger then the Oilers have a gem.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
I absolutely don't want him in the NHL next year unless he completely knocks the doors off and shows to be competent in a 9 game trial.

He should go back to juniors and work on his skating and defensive game.
He should get 9 games to SHOW him how much he needs to work on. Put him on the third pairing and let him see for himself how he has to grow.

Imo he is too good for the OHL, not quite NHL ready. Giving him the 9 games will give him something to work on for the year

Reactions: La Bamba

Jet Walters

May 15, 2013
This guy is already the best PP option amongst our D and he hasn't even played a game yet. Can we package up Benning + one of our LHD (preferably Sekera) for a 2nd pair RHD?

Klefbom Larsson
Nurse ???
Russell Bouchard

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
87 points in 67 games is pretty wild. It looks even more wild when you see that the next closest player on the Knights had 54. And then also kind of wild that his point per game pace went up after the Knights traded away Thomas and Miletic. He went from 1.23ppg to 1.4ppg

38 points in 27 games after those two were traded away
49 points in 40 games before.

He was tied for 7th in OHL scoring.

His offensive numbers are crazy.

*I've never seen him play a game in my life.
He was the best defender in the league and I dont think it was close.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
He should get 9 games to SHOW him how much he needs to work on. Put him on the third pairing and let him see for himself how he has to grow.

Imo he is too good for the OHL, not quite NHL ready. Giving him the 9 games will give him something to work on for the year

That's fair I guess. I'm scared he manages to score some points on the PP and Oilers decide to keep him on the roster for way too long while he slowly sinks.

Hockey Nightmare

Oct 25, 2007
chia-screen-grab1.jpg

nightfighter

Aug 31, 2008
Absolutely chuffed at this selection. Never thought in a million years would both Dobson and Bouchard fall to where we were picking. I always liked Bouchard since the beginning of last year; Dobson's memorial cup run pushed him ahead in pre-draft rankings and rightfully so but I think long term we made the right choice in Bouchard.

And for those guys calling out Bouchard's skating...it's not elite level but come on...if he had elite skating in addition to everything else he would have gone first overall ahead of Dahlin. This guy is gonna be a player. Chuffed!

Reactions: Showcor3

Klimando Kostani

Sep 17, 2013
Victoria
Absolutely chuffed at this selection. Never thought in a million years would both Dobson and Bouchard fall to where we were picking. I always liked Bouchard since the beginning of last year; Dobson's memorial cup run pushed him ahead in pre-draft rankings and rightfully so but I think long term we made the right choice in Bouchard.

And for those guys calling out Bouchard's skating...it's not elite level but come on...if he had elite skating in addition to everything else he would have gone first overall ahead of Dahlin. This guy is gonna be a player. Chuffed!

Ahead of Dahlin or not... He wouldn't have made it to us. Really good point man.

Paddy Padlock

Sep 16, 2017
That's fair I guess. I'm scared he manages to score some points on the PP and Oilers decide to keep him on the roster for way too long while he slowly sinks.

They pick "their guy" among great options like Wahlstrom and Dobson, they rush him and he looks terrible?

Sounds like Draisaitl and Nurse, lol.

Nobody is very forgiving with offensive defensemen and he has big defensive issues. Might keep him in London.

Lacaar

Jan 25, 2012
Edmonton
I was on the Whalstrom Dobson bus.. hope I'm wrong!

never seen him play. Assumed because of his minutes he was an effect of the usual high scoring London machine but I guess London didn't score much? I claim ignorance then.

Hope I'm wrong but there's this feeling watching the Isles take the next two players i so wanted haha.

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
This guy is already the best PP option amongst our D and he hasn't even played a game yet. Can we package up Benning + one of our LHD (preferably Sekera) for a 2nd pair RHD?

Klefbom Larsson
Nurse ???
Russell Bouchard

How about?

Klefa/Sekera Larsson
Nurse - Russell/Benning
Benning/Russell - Bouchard

Sekera or Klefa should help get good value in a search for a LW.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
I was on the Whalstrom Dobson bus.. hope I'm wrong!

never seen him play. Assumed because of his minutes he was an effect of the usual high scoring London machine but I guess London didn't score much? I claim ignorance then.

Hope I'm wrong but there's this feeling watching the Isles take the next two players i so wanted haha.
London Knights 2017-18 roster and scoring statistics at hockeydb.com

That's comical how far ahead he was the rest of his team as a defender.

ujju2

Apr 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB
I'm not opposed to seeing the three Bs (Bouchard, Bear, and Benning) battle it out for the 6th spot (and 7th in Benning's case).

Klefbom-Larsson
Nurse-Sekera
Russell-B/B/B

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
I'd like him to be fully grown, and polished for his NHL debut.

I'd rather he go back to Junior, and spend some time in the A working on his skating and defensive game.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
I'm not opposed to seeing the three Bs (Bouchard, Bear, and Benning) battle it out for the 6th spot (and 7th in Benning's case).

Klefbom-Larsson
Nurse-Sekera
Russell-B/B/B

I think the likelihood of Bouchard being a 7th dman on the team next season is zero %.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad