2018 conference tournament and NCAA tournament thread

SJSharksfan39

Oct 11, 2008
San Jose, CA
No Stanford other Cal this year. I don't follow it and know Cal wasn't good but Stanford I thought might have gotten in.

Also the format for the selection show sure has evolved over the years. Now they have an audience. That was weird.

rangerssharks414

Mar 9, 2010
Long Island, NY
So, Ranger, your thoughts on ASU versus Syracuse. ASU is undefeated in non-conference, I like our chances now!

If ASU gets hot behind the three point line, I think they can win. Syracuse plays a zone defense, which obviously opens up the three point line. It could be a long night if they can't hit them, though.

Reality Check

May 28, 2008
I would have liked to see Michigan get a relative home game. But if it's between their bracket and MSU's bracket, I'll take the Michigan bracket.

Michigan playing their way into a #3 seed is all but gravy as it is.

In addition, I really don't see any team who was blatantly jobbed this year. This entire season was so volatile and the tournament should be crazy. Not the year to go primarily chalk, fellas.

Dolemite

The one...the only...
Sponsor
May 4, 2004
Washington DC
Kansas, without a doubt, is fielding one of their worst lineups ever but they are also so incredibly overrated. Their rankings should be in the teens to the 20s.

rangerssharks414

Mar 9, 2010
Long Island, NY
I would have liked to see Michigan get a relative home game. But if it's between their bracket and MSU's bracket, I'll take the Michigan bracket.

Michigan playing their way into a #3 seed is all but gravy as it is.

In addition, I really don't see any team who was blatantly jobbed this year. This entire season was so volatile and the tournament should be crazy. Not the year to go primarily chalk, fellas.

I honestly thought that Michigan should have gotten the Detroit location over Michigan State. They had a better RPI, more "quadrant 1" wins and the conference tournament title. Oh yeah, they beat Sparty twice this year as well. State had fewer losses and the regular season title, but I thought Michigan had the better overall resume. You''re right about the bracket, though. I'd much rather have Michigan's bracket than Michigan State's. If Michigan and UNC meet up like most people think they will, I think Michigan has a decent chance even though they lost to them earlier this year. I'd rather go through (if the other higher seeds win) UNC and Xavier than Duke and Kansas.

Duke33

Oct 9, 2009
Houston, TX
Syracuse and Oklahoma making it woof...can the NCAA be a little less transparent about being for the marquee names?

Even for including marquee names, Oklahoma getting in is complete idiocy. They've literally done nothing of note since December.

Meanwhile Oklahoma State beats OU twice, beats Kansas twice, beats WVU on the road, and doesn't get a bid. Yeah there's the NCAA investigation thing but they are literally just one of several teams that deserved to get in more than OU did.

Big Poppa Puck

HF's Villain
Dec 8, 2009
D-Boss' Dungeon
Selection show format was terrible.

The only selections I really have a problem with is Syracuse over USC.

I'd probably put in OKST over OU too. Not sure how OU isn't at least in Dayton though. That's a joke. Seems like the Trae Young factor to me.

EON

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 31, 2013
Raleigh, NC
I think St. Marys and Notre Dame should have been in over St. Bonaventure and Syracuse, and Oklahoma should have been in Dayton. MSU probably get hosed a bit with a 3 seed as well. Other than that, a solid bracket and should be a fun tourney, as usual.

rangerssharks414

Mar 9, 2010
Long Island, NY
I thought Oklahoma should have been in Dayton as well.

The only team that I had in that didn't get in was USC. I had them in over Arizona State, which is my team. Go figure.

Facts:

-USC's RPI was 34, which is by far the highest RPI by a power conference school to miss the tournament.
-Arizona State tied the record for most losses by a tournament team against non-tournament teams.
-Kansas tied the record for the most losses ever for a #1 seed.

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
Kansas being considered overrated by everyone right now is exactly why they’ll be dangerous this year, just like they were in 2012 when they finished runner up to the Kentucky team with AD. They aren’t deep...they are very very thin past 7/8 but their backcourt of Graham and Newman is experienced and as good as anybody and if De Sousa is going to keep his breakout going, they’ll also have two legit loads inside with Azibuke.

Contrary to popular opinion, Self and Kansas don’t lose early on any more than guys like Coach K and Izzo have in the past ten years. The difference has been the Elite 8...it’s Self’s bugaboo and happens when KU is seemingly the overwhelming favorite to walk into the Final Four. Witness the eggs against Oregon (in Kansas City) last year or a few years back against the Shaka Smart VCU team. But this year, I expect Kansas to be a heavy underdog against Duke OR Michigan State if they all make that far despite being the #1 seed and that’s a much more comfortable place for them to be.

Reality Check

May 28, 2008
Kansas being considered overrated by everyone right now is exactly why they’ll be dangerous this year, just like they were in 2012 when they finished runner up to the Kentucky team with AD. They aren’t deep...they are very very thin past 7/8 but their backcourt of Graham and Newman is experienced and as good as anybody and if De Sousa is going to keep his breakout going, they’ll also have two legit loads inside with Azibuke.

Contrary to popular opinion, Self and Kansas don’t lose early on any more than guys like Coach K and Izzo have in the past ten years. The difference has been the Elite 8...it’s Self’s bugaboo and happens when KU is seemingly the overwhelming favorite to walk into the Final Four. Witness the eggs against Oregon (in Kansas City) last year or a few years back against the Shaka Smart VCU team. But this year, I expect Kansas to be a heavy underdog against Duke OR Michigan State if they all make that far despite being the #1 seed and that’s a much more comfortable place for them to be.

Kansas is in the same boat as Duke and MSU. Which is pretty funny that they were placed all in one bracket.

They have the pieces and the potential to finally become dominant teams. But neither has been able to put it altogether. But there also in luck as a dominant team nor teams doesn't exist in this tournament.

For instance MSU: It seems like ESPN and just about everyone else are proclaiming them to win it all.

Meanwhile, the majority of MSU fans and some local media are all but guaranteeing a sweet 16 spot as the best case scenario.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad