Sep 27, 2017
A little tighter game today.
Some great individual battles out there. :thumbu:

Reactions: JMCx4

Spotty 2 Hotty

Special teams, special plays, special players
Feb 28, 2008
ATX
First period was pretty bad for TX, glad they pulled off the wins. Can't wait for the games this week.

Me too. Had a hell of a time finding a feed online for this one, so I'm glad I'll be able to watch on FSSW since I can't make it out to Cedar Park.

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
I was going to check this one out but the second-hand ticket prices really shot up over the weekend. Couldn't find any for under $50. :help:

Maybe if the series makes it back to Toronto I'll try again.

Sep 20, 2013
In The Crease
@ Texas Stars fans:

how competent or reliable is the radio simulcast, not AHL Live?

I only started listening to it during the semifinals, but it seems like a perfectly reasonable AHL-quality stream. They use a single play-by-play guy, no color analyst, he can be a little homer-ish at times (which you should expect from a local broadcast) but not egregiously so, and he sounds like he's calling the game well, though I've not had the opportunity to confirm it visually while watching the game at the same time as he calls it.

The only odd thing is he likes to say which way the teams are skating ("Rockford skating left-to-right this period, Stars right-to-left"), and when he gets excited about the play, he'll sometimes say that every other stoppage to fill time to the point where I start to laugh when I hear it.:D It's a weird thing to say for radio since it doesn't matter to the listeners, and would be unnecessary for TV, but that's his only quirk I find odd, which is pretty good for minor league broadcasting from my experience.

In any case, he's way less irritating than the Marlies' color analyst who takes 30-60 seconds too long to finish his thought every time he speaks.

Reactions: CHRDANHUTCH

JMCx4

Censorship is the Sincerest Form of Flattery
Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
... The only odd thing is he likes to say which way the teams are skating ("Rockford skating left-to-right this period, Stars right-to-left"), and when he gets excited about the play, he'll sometimes say that every other stoppage to fill time to the point where I start to laugh when I hear it.:D It's a weird thing to say for radio since it doesn't matter to the listeners, and would be unnecessary for TV, but that's his only quirk I find odd, which is pretty good for minor league broadcasting from my experience. ...
Might be a routine that Brien Rea picked up from old-school broadcasters, several of whom used the "skating from right to left on your radio dial" descriptor to help listeners visualize the flow of the game. Certainly doesn't mean much to a generation who follow sports on their iPhones, but to us old-timers it offers some comfort in an increasingly uncomfortable world. :wally:

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
I only started listening to it during the semifinals, but it seems like a perfectly reasonable AHL-quality stream. They use a single play-by-play guy, no color analyst, he can be a little homer-ish at times (which you should expect from a local broadcast) but not egregiously so, and he sounds like he's calling the game well, though I've not had the opportunity to confirm it visually while watching the game at the same time as he calls it.

The only odd thing is he likes to say which way the teams are skating ("Rockford skating left-to-right this period, Stars right-to-left"), and when he gets excited about the play, he'll sometimes say that every other stoppage to fill time to the point where I start to laugh when I hear it.:D It's a weird thing to say for radio since it doesn't matter to the listeners, and would be unnecessary for TV, but that's his only quirk I find odd, which is pretty good for minor league broadcasting from my experience.

In any case, he's way less irritating than the Marlies' color analyst who takes 30-60 seconds too long to finish his thought every time he speaks.
so pretty much the same as what Jeff Mannix has done here in Portland, and to a lesser extent in Lewiston, in the Q era, thanks....

Captain Crash

Apr 9, 2015
Might be a routine that Brien Rea picked up from old-school broadcasters, several of whom used the "skating from right to left on your radio dial" descriptor to help listeners visualize the flow of the game. Certainly doesn't mean much to a generation who follow sports on their iPhones, but to us old-timers it offers some comfort in an increasingly uncomfortable world. :wally:

Hockey Hall of Fame play-by-play artist Mike Lange still uses the directional calls on his radio broadcasts for the Penguins. It's comforting to hear indeed.

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
all of them do, to some degree, JMC, AT LEAST at the start of a period, SOME JUST REFERENCE IT MORE, than others.... it's just a style thing

JMCx4

Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
AHL Morning Skate: 6.5.18
June 5, 2018 ...

Playoff Brackets | Today’s Scoreboard | League Stats
button-16tor200.png
@
button_15tex200.png

Game 3 – Tonight, 8:00 ET, AHL Live | Series Infographic
TV: TSN2, NHL Network, Leafs Nation Network, Fox Sports Southwest Plus
Satellite Radio: NHL Network Radio (SiriusXM 91)

The 2018 Calder Cup Finals resume tonight as the Texas Stars host the Toronto Marlies in Game 3 at the H-E-B Center at Cedar Park, where Texas has won six straight home games… The Stars earned a split of the first two games of the Finals with a 2-1 win in Toronto on Sunday afternoon… Gavin Bayreuther (2-5-7) scored the winning goal early in the third period of Game 2… Curtis McKenzie (8-9-17) netted his league-leading eighth goal of the playoffs… Travis Morin (6-6-12) picked up an assist in Game 2, giving him 8-6-14 in 13 career Calder Cup Finals contests… Mike McKenna (12-5, 2.14, .933), who made 21 saves in Game 2, is 18-2 on home ice over the last two postseasons with Texas and Syracuse… Ben Smith (6-7-13) scored the Marlies’ only goal on Sunday, his fifth goal in the last six games… Garret Sparks (11-3, 2.18, .920) stopped 22 of 24 shots in Game 2… Toronto had a 10-game winning streak snapped on Sunday, tied for the second-longest ever in a single AHL postseason… After combining for 16 points in four conference finals games vs. Lehigh Valley, Toronto’s trio of Andreas Johnsson (6-9-15), Miro Aaltonen (4-6-10) and Carl Grundstrom (6-4-10) has been held scoreless by Texas through Games 1 and 2 of the Finals… Toronto won an AHL-record 30 road games during the regular season… The Stars are 8-1 this postseason when scoring the game’s first goal; the Marlies are 9-1… In Calder Cup Finals history, when a series is tied 1-1, the Game 3 winner has gone on to win the Cup 24 of 34 times (70.6 percent)… Tonight’s Game 3 is airing live on TSN2, NHL Network, Leafs Nation Network and Fox Sports Southwest Plus, as well as NHL Network Radio (SiriusXM 91). ...

JMCx4

Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
Officials are definitely, "letting them play" tonight.
Same two linesmen & one of the two referees (Chris Schlenker) who officiated the Texas conference finals-winning OT game vs. Rockford in Austin. Zero penalties called then, in just shy of 4 periods of play. Must be something in the water. ;)

Reactions: bukwas

JMCx4

Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
Another close one in Game 3, with Toronto getting the series advantage back in Texas with a 2-1 victory. All three goals were scored in the middle frame, and only one penalty was called (a tripping call on Stars captain Curtis McKenzie in the 3rd period). The Marlies now lead the championship series 2 games to 1, but this could go either way with how these two teams are matching up.

Game 4 is scheduled for Thursday night in Austin.

bukwas

Stanley Cup 2022
Sep 27, 2017
Going to be tough on the ratings going up against a potential cup deciding NHL game.
I'll be watching though. :)

Reactions: Elysian

Elysian

Emo Stars Fan
Dec 4, 2011
Norton, OH
Going to be tough on the ratings going up against a potential cup deciding NHL game.
I'll be watching though. :)
I want to watch the SCF so bad, but I also have tickets to the game tonight. Might have to bring my Bluetooth headphones and listen to the SCF...

Reactions: bukwas

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad