2018 BBWAA award finalists announced

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
What about team success? Andujar was a big reason why the Yankees won 100 games and even a healthy Ohtani doesn't get the Angels past Oakland in the WC standings

I’ve never heard of team success playing any kind of role in the RoY award. Perhaps I’m wrong, but it’s always just been who has had the best season.

Last edited:

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
AL ROY could have very well gone both ways

ohtani and andujar were both deserving

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
The amount of innings ohtani pitched at an elite level, plus better at the plate, plus Andujar playing a horrible third base more than make up for the PA difference.

Really surprised how people don't see that. Actually no I am not.

Andujar had better numbers hitting.

I don't think anyone should get an award playing in only 104 games.

You wouldn't give someone the Hart for only 40 games

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal
Andujar had better numbers hitting.

I don't think anyone should get an award playing in only 104 games.

You wouldn't give someone the Hart for only 40 games
No, Andujar didn't have better numbers hitting. If you're talking counting stats then this isn't even a discussion because you're in the wrong decade.

Reactions: Bob Richards

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal
It’s what voting writers do in hockey, McDavid didn’t get Hart Trophy because his teammates are general ****ups. Also lost his ROY because of injury, I’m glad baseball voters are smarter.

But as a Yankee fan I’m totally ok with Ohtani. Special player.
Yep. If that's what the award is, and if so that's fine, then there should be a better outline of what people are actually voting for.

There is a clear divide between people voting for the best indvidual player and those voting for the players who made the biggest contributions on the best teams. Those two criteria aren't close to being the same.

SSF

Oct 5, 2017
man, the writers have nailed it thus far.
hard to say much else.

darko

Feb 16, 2009
man, the writers have nailed it thus far.
hard to say much else.

I would've given it to Cole and Verlander before Snell but Snell had a great year. They nailed the rest.

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
I would've given it to Cole and Verlander before Snell but Snell had a great year. They nailed the rest.

sorry, i dont see it.

short of being a "but innings pitched!" stalwart there's no argument for Verlander over Snell.

Snell beats him by a good amount in ERA, ERA+ and WAR

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
sorry, i dont see it.

short of being a "but innings pitched!" stalwart there's no argument for Verlander over Snell.

There's actually a pretty decent argument. Verlander had a higher SO Rate, lower walk rate, better WHIP over 34 more innings or 102 more outs.

Snell had an 88% strand rate and .241 BABIP so im gonna say the results he got in terms of ERA this year won't be sustainable. That doesn't take away from his great season but he definitely got more luck and good fortune than most pitchers this year

darko

Feb 16, 2009
sorry, i dont see it.

30-odd innings is a lot. That's probably 5 starts.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad