NFL GDT: 2018 AFC Championship Game: (1) Kansas City Chiefs vs (2) New England Patriots

kcne

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
I think the Pats running game could end up being more important than Brady picking them apart. The Colts relied more on the pass after the Chiefs went up early, which also allowed their pass rush to get home. I still think the best way to beat the Chiefs is to run on their poor run defense and milk the clock as much as possible in the process.

Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
1) Not sure if you realize, but Andrew Luck and Indy aren't the New England Patriots
2) Of course the Patriots are able to pick the KC D apart in Arrowhead. Likely? Maybe not. But they absolutely "can".

1)Weird you act like it's an apples and oranges comparison when they actually did quite similarly this year(including Luck arguably having a better year than Brady). It's especially weird when your suggestion was for the Pats to play like the Colts do.
2)Making a semantics argument in your strawman is actually kind of impressive.

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
1)Weird you act like it's an apples and oranges comparison when they actually did quite similarly this year(including Luck arguably having a better year than Brady). It's especially weird when your suggestion was for the Pats to play like the Colts do.
2)Making a semantics argument in your strawman is actually kind of impressive.

Neither semantic nor a strawman. It was your argument, I apologize if it was incorrect.

Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
Anyway, I think the Chiefs finally do the damn thing. Can't overlook what the Pats did to a very good Chargers team, even if it was at home, but something just feels different. Multiple times yesterday everyone thought this is where things would fall apart on them and they quickly shut that down. Would love to see Andy finally get one the year after the Eagles did.

Reactions: Habsawce

Wendy Clear

Generic Statement of Happiness
Jun 20, 2010
Europe. Somewhere.
Pats 9-0 at home, 3-5 on the road. Chiefs give up like 38 points/game on the road, 18/game at home. Even less if we count the playoff game. Chiefs made significant defensive changes a few weeks ago, replacing 2 out of 4 starters in the secondary. Their replacements, talented, fast young guys, have been MUCH better. And they've never lacked for talent up front: Jones, Ford and Houston is the best trio in the league. But for whatever reason their scheme was just bad all year. Still led the league in sacks. Dominated the best OL in the league on Saturday. On the other hand, Pats defense in DVOA is 2nd in the league at home... 31st on the road. Brady is 1-3 at Arrowhead. Pats have lost their last 3 playoff road games; haven't won a road playoff game since 2006. This is the first game NE has been underdog since 2015; it was 67 games ago. Unreal stat.

Chiefs are a completely different (and much better) team at home; Pats are a completely different (and much worse) team on the road.

Chiefs win and it'll be a statement game. 38-17. Don't quote me now, quote me in 7 days.

c9777666

Aug 31, 2016
Do you think the NFL wants another Pats SB?

At this point, I think it would be overkill

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com
I think the Pats's best chance to win is to make Mahomes extend play and hope his inner Brett Favre comes out once or twice in the game. We have to be realistic, the Pats won't "stop" the Chiefs, they have to slow them down and up for a few turnover (hence my comment about pushing Mahomes out of the pocket and hoping for mistakes). Obviously, on offense, the Pats will need to score on pretty much every drive. They showed they could yesterday against a better defense... at home though. Big caveat.

It won't be easy, quite the contrary, but there is a path to the Super Bowl and I surely hope the Pats make it.

solventless710

Jan 5, 2005
As a Pats fan, I don’t think the Pats have enough to get it done at Arrowhead. Pats are really gonna have to come up with some clever schemes and disguises to try to confuse Mahomes. 27-17, KC is what I’m thinking.

If the Pats pull off the W, I can’t wait for the tears and vitriol to come from NE loathers. Pats going to their 4th SB in 5 years in a “down” year where Brady is “falling off a cliff”? Oh boy, the tears will be flowing.

member 157595

I don't like the Patriots but the whining that pours out when they make/win the SB makes me laugh. Losers complain, winners win.

However, I don't see them beating KC in KC unless Andy Reid reverts to his "I am a parade float made out of meat" form and Mahomes turns the ball over a lot. If I were a KC fan though, I'd still be nervous.

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
This KC team is very, very good. They will be and deserve to be the favorites in this game.

Patriots best chance is to keep Mahomes off the field. The Patriots do not have a quick strike offense, so long drives to eat clock like yesterday would help.

I know it was a shootout earlier in the year, but I don't think the Patriots want another game like that on the road.

It's the late game, so it will be cold. Not sure how much of a factor that will play.

DangleCity

Jun 23, 2016
Going with Chiefs

I think this in a way will be changing of guard with Mahomes/Brady going head to head
Im not ready to say this is the changing of the guard. As good as Mahomes was this season its still one season and we've seen many QBs take a step back in year two once their's a "book" on them. We also counted Brady out plenty of times and said this is the end.

With that said the Cheifs are the better team and are at home so they should win.

Habsawce

Nov 16, 2010
Canada
Forecast says snow for 3 days leading up to Sunday. Sunday will be clear but in the midteens temperature wise. Field should be in good condition and the cold won't make a difference imo.

Should be a great game.

Harry22

Mar 28, 2005
Montreal
As a Pats fan, this one will be tough. Funny to say but if the Miami miracle doesn’t happen, this game might be in Foxborough. Pats will have to play a near perfect game to get out of there with a win.

member 157595

As a Pats fan, this one will be tough. Funny to say but if the Miami miracle doesn’t happen, this game might be in Foxborough. Pats will have to play a near perfect game to get out of there with a win.

I agree. They'll have to very decisively win the turnover battle because their defense is going to allow a LOT of yards to KC; they're simply not athletic enough to hang with guys like Hill for an entire game. NE makes any mistakes in Arrowhead and they're more than likely in deep shit. However, NE has played perfect games in the PO's before and Andy Reid is still Andy Reid, so a NE win is not at all out of the realm of possibility.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad