Prospect Info: Jacob Olofsson

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hfbsux

Dec 22, 2012
Players that slip (DLR and Olofsson) slip for a reason. There was offensive concerns. Both had NHL size bodies and you hope they mature and are able to play on the 3rd line.

At certain points in the draft, I have no problem taking Olofsson. I think the key here is the Habs had three 2nd round picks. They had options to go after dark horse picks (Romanov), speedy winger with goal scoring ability (Ylonen), and the NHL size body who plays center pick (Olofsson).

I just wonder who we take if we only had one 2nd round pick.

Agreed. Not to mention we had 4 2nd rounder. We were able to trade one for 2 picks. The #62 was traded to get a 3rd and a 5th (Harris and Houde). Wonder if they had Harris ranked higher than the players projected in the 2nd round and knew he would fall in the 3rd. Harris looks like a great pick in the 3rd round so far.

Schwang

May 6, 2002
Kingston, Ont
Visit site
I would argue our entire European scouting has been garbage, not just Sweden. Who was the last European that we drafted that was a star in the league - Markov? Kostitsyn and Emelin were useful players but other than that.....sheesh.

Before anyone mentions Kotka, he was a no brainer. And don't say Lehks - he is well on his way to being another one of our ever growing list of 3rd and 4th line ceiling prospects. Also, I am not ready to jump on the Ylonen and Romanov bandwagon just yet cuz i remember hearing the same overating that happened when we drafted Nattinen and Valetenko.
Well. Koivu of course. I do agree though. The whole European scouting has be horrible. They wete too focused on NA players. Small Quebec players and big ass WHL guys who couldnt skate.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Thing is though he is almost 24 now and he wasn't developing into anything. He was known for his defensive skill but he never really matured them at an NHL level. He's got 7 points in 40 games in Detroit and the fans are grateful for him only because he's a tank tool.

JDLR is a bust lol

I've said I felt DLR, if he can put up 10-12-15 pts a year, somewhere in that range he could end up a decent to solid 4th liner. He brings size, skating, speed, good PKer, decent physical game, solid defensive game. He does have some tools but the question was always can he bring enough offense to warrant keeping him around. Guess we'll see what the wings opt to do with him, I would assume he'll be back next year. Since they stopped yo-yoing him, he's got 19 pts in 94 games.

I was saying the same things when everyone was complaining that they got rid of him. I even said id be surprised to see him on Detroits roster next year. However, a few posters felt he was setting in nicely and would be there long term and that we shouldnt have let him go. Man, some people over value these guys big time!
See Fucale and McCarron as prime examples. Oh, and Beaulieu!

So what happens if he's on the wings roster next year? Do you still think he won't be? He's got more goals this year on a worse team then Agostino, Chaput and DLO and he's got only 1 less goal then the 3 of them combined while being a few years younger, bigger, faster, then most as well.

Fucale most posters weren't too high on after he struggled in the AHL and most said he would be gone.

McCarron might end up in a spot like DLR but his offense is even worse. Clearly those 6'6 forwards seem to take longer to develop, if he continues to get quicker that will only help him. After losing half this season, he might need another year in the AHL, but I wouldn't write him off just yet. I know you've posted a few times how you don't like him but we'll see what happens.

I think they shouldve at lesst tried Nygren in the nhl. He did have an attitude though (it seemed). He doesnt seem to be overly concerned abput playing over here anyway.

It was said that they were going to call him up but he got injured with a bad concussion, so he very likely would have played in the NHL. In his short stint in the AHL he was very good.

I would argue our entire European scouting has been garbage, not just Sweden. Who was the last European that we drafted that was a star in the league - Markov? Kostitsyn and Emelin were useful players but other than that.....sheesh.

Before anyone mentions Kotka, he was a no brainer. And don't say Lehks - he is well on his way to being another one of our ever growing list of 3rd and 4th line ceiling prospects. Also, I am not ready to jump on the Ylonen and Romanov bandwagon just yet cuz i remember hearing the same overating that happened when we drafted Nattinen and Valetenko.

The Habs haven't drafted well in the Euro leagues for a long time. Kotka is certainly going to be one plus, Lehkonen is looking like he's going to be at least one of the best 2nd round picks from 2013, he's having a career year and in the next few he could get better as he needs to get stronger, quicker.

The Kostitsyn's, Grabovski, Emelin, were solid, Sergachev who I'm sure was scouted in Russia as they usually scout kids a few years out. But no matter how it's sliced, we have not done well at all in the Euro leagues.

EXPOS123

Jun 29, 2010
I've said I felt DLR, if he can put up 10-12-15 pts a year, somewhere in that range he could end up a decent to solid 4th liner. He brings size, skating, speed, good PKer, decent physical game, solid defensive game. He does have some tools but the question was always can he bring enough offense to warrant keeping him around. Guess we'll see what the wings opt to do with him, I would assume he'll be back next year. Since they stopped yo-yoing him, he's got 19 pts in 94 games.

So what happens if he's on the wings roster next year? Do you still think he won't be? He's got more goals this year on a worse team then Agostino, Chaput and DLO and he's got only 1 less goal then the 3 of them combined while being a few years younger, bigger, faster, then most as well.

Fucale most posters weren't too high on after he struggled in the AHL and most said he would be gone.

McCarron might end up in a spot like DLR but his offense is even worse. Clearly those 6'6 forwards seem to take longer to develop, if he continues to get quicker that will only help him. After losing half this season, he might need another year in the AHL, but I wouldn't write him off just yet. I know you've posted a few times how you don't like him but we'll see what happens.

It was said that they were going to call him up but he got injured with a bad concussion, so he very likely would have played in the NHL. In his short stint in the AHL he was very good.

The Habs haven't drafted well in the Euro leagues for a long time. Kotka is certainly going to be one plus, Lehkonen is looking like he's going to be at least one of the best 2nd round picks from 2013, he's having a career year and in the next few he could get better as he needs to get stronger, quicker.

The Kostitsyn's, Grabovski, Emelin, were solid, Sergachev who I'm sure was scouted in Russia as they usually scout kids a few years out. But no matter how it's sliced, we have not done well at all in the Euro leagues.

It's not just the European amateur scouting that's been terrible, it's also been the pro free agent side too. Jerabek, Sekac,the two Checzs in Laval (one of whom we just released)...I know they signed Radulov, but he was already a known commodity.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
It's not just the European amateur scouting that's been terrible, it's also been the pro free agent side too. Jerabek, Sekac,the two Checzs in Laval (one of whom we just released)...I know they signed Radulov, but he was already a known commodity.

well most undrafted guys won't amount to much, but yea we don't have the best luck with our scouts and Euros. Berger, Lahit, Mayer, Mikael Johansson, Engqvist (though he was a good AHLer).

Reactions: Le Barron de HF

Just Linda

Feb 24, 2018

Again those were all guys we got for nothing. We took risks and they didn't work out, nothing lost nothing gained.

Schwang

May 6, 2002
Kingston, Ont
Visit site

There's a hundred guys who can put up 15 points a year. The comparison with our 4th liners shouldn't be points. It should be be what else are they doing as 4th liners? I wouldn't call DLR an energy guy or shot blocker. And he was never overly physical or that fast. Or strong on faceoffs. Detroit has him there as a stop gap while they re-tool. No need to cry over losing him.

As for Fucale, there were a lot of posters who considered him part of our future despite the fact that he was way over hyped. My point about him and McCaron is that they aren't nhl'ers, and people needed to stop mentioning them in that breath. It's tiresome. Yes, I wouldve loved for them to be, but McCaron was sooo overhyped because of size and that's it.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
There's a hundred guys who can put up 15 points a year. The comparison with our 4th liners shouldn't be points. It should be be what else are they doing as 4th liners? I wouldn't call DLR an energy guy or shot blocker. And he was never overly physical or that fast. Or strong on faceoffs. Detroit has him there as a stop gap while they re-tool. No need to cry over losing him.

As for Fucale, there were a lot of posters who considered him part of our future despite the fact that he was way over hyped. My point about him and McCaron is that they aren't nhl'ers, and people needed to stop mentioning them in that breath. It's tiresome. Yes, I wouldve loved for them to be, but McCaron was sooo overhyped because of size and that's it.

Don't agree on DLR, he's not Byron but he has good speed, he's not overly physical but he had a good physical game when first called up. I have seen him more as a winger that can fill in at center.

The point is we aren't getting shit for production from our 4th line and we had someone that is younger, bigger, quicker and produces more. Yes he likely doesn't amount to much but that's if he doesn't get any better after being jerked around between the NHL and AHL since he was 19. Now that he's been given a steady role he seems to be doing well. We'll see what the wings do with him, I would be surprised if he's not a 4th liner in the NHL next year.

Most were down on Fucale because he really struggled at the pro level. McCarron was terrible last year but he's made big strides this year. He may need another year in the AHL but wouldn't be the first 6'6 forward that didn't make till he was 25.

Reactions: Dick Duff

Schwang

May 6, 2002
Kingston, Ont
Visit site
Don't agree on DLR, he's not Byron but he has good speed, he's not overly physical but he had a good physical game when first called up. I have seen him more as a winger that can fill in at center.

The point is we aren't getting **** for production from our 4th line and we had someone that is younger, bigger, quicker and produces more. Yes he likely doesn't amount to much but that's if he doesn't get any better after being jerked around between the NHL and AHL since he was 19. Now that he's been given a steady role he seems to be doing well. We'll see what the wings do with him, I would be surprised if he's not a 4th liner in the NHL next year.

Most were down on Fucale because he really struggled at the pro level. McCarron was terrible last year but he's made big strides this year. He may need another year in the AHL but wouldn't be the first 6'6 forward that didn't make till he was 25.
I dont watch the Wings, but who days his production is even coming from the 4th line? They arent that deep and id be surprised if he hasnt played higher. The point is, he wouldnt have produced on the Habs. He wouldve struggled to make the lineup as a regular. Our fourth line does produce a bit and they generally do what theyre meant to do.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
I dont watch the Wings, but who days his production is even coming from the 4th line? They arent that deep and id be surprised if he hasnt played higher. The point is, he wouldnt have produced on the Habs. He wouldve struggled to make the lineup as a regular. Our fourth line does produce a bit and they generally do what theyre meant to do.

Jacob de la Rose Stats and News

He usually plays around 10-12 minutes, 39 games he's averaged 11:56 which only 2 players have less TOI and more then 17 games played.

NHL.com - Stats

But I don't see anyone our 4th line doing anything DLR couldn't do while producing around the same imo.

Btw, Olofsson had an assist today in a 5-4 loss.

He also played 18:25, his 2nd highest TOI of the season, 19:32 was his highest and only 4 times this year has he play 17+ minutes.

Last edited:
Reactions: Adam Michaels

Hfbsux

Dec 22, 2012
Olofsson looks pretty good tbh.

Vejdemo is also promising.

Olofsson isn't really looking good this season tbh. I know, he's still too young to be considered a bust, but his development is not where it should be offensively. Haven't notice any improvement in that area, and it's the part of his game where he should focus the most if he wants to be an NHLer. Timmins also reported, after the draft, that the Swedish scout (Rockstrom I assume) was ready to strangle him if they were not gonna pick Olofsson with the late 2nd.

Vejdemo is an ok prospect with some upside but he was considered a reach at #87. I have no problem reaching for a player who they saw something in, like Romanov. I don't see this upside with Vejdemo. I see a complete player with limited offensive skill, a little bit like Oloffson. I'm seriously wondering why the pressure on Timmins to draft those kind of players. Hopefully they prove me wrong, but I consider it a long shot at this point. I don't have Olofsson or Vejdemo in my top 10.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Olofsson isn't really looking good this season tbh. I know, he's still too young to be considered a bust, but his development is not where it should be offensively. Haven't notice any improvement in that area, and it's the part of his game where he should focus the most if he wants to be an NHLer. Timmins also reported, after the draft, that the Swedish scout (Rockstrom I assume) was ready to strangle him if they were not gonna pick Olofsson with the late 2nd.

Vejdemo is an ok prospect with some upside but he was considered a reach at #87. I have no problem reaching for a player who they saw something in, like Romanov. I don't see this upside with Vejdemo. I see a complete player with limited offensive skill, a little bit like Oloffson. I'm seriously wondering why the pressure on Timmins to draft those kind of players. Hopefully they prove me wrong, but I consider it a long shot at this point. I don't have Olofsson or Vejdemo in my top 10.
Oloffson is playing in a higher tier league and producing good numbers. Hes been doing good with what he got dealt. Using the word bust in the same sentence is pretty funny.

Hfbsux

Dec 22, 2012
Oloffson is playing in a higher tier league and producing good numbers. Hes been doing good with what he got dealt. Using the word bust in the same sentence is pretty funny.

Have you seen him play, if so what do you think of his offensive upside? Maybe you can convince me. I'm aware of the competition he plays against and his age (still WJC eligible next year).

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Have you seen him play, if so what do you think of his offensive upside? Maybe you can convince me. I'm aware of the competition he plays against and his age (still WJC eligible next year).
Hes a five tools player. Hes the same as Ylonen. Both are really highly skilled, like first round worthy. Ylonen is shy and doesnt have much confidence, Olofsson doesnt think offense enough. I dont know, if Danault can be a forty points player with his children sized tool box, I dont see how a guy like olofsson cant. Hes a NHL player for sure, just like DLR his skating and defensive play will make him at least a fourth liner, its just a matter of if his offense catches up. Thats something hes been working on but hasnt panned out really. Timra is also a pretty bad team offensively and hes been getting uneven minutes... some nights hes on the 2nd line, others hes the 4th line c. Bottomline is, I like his tools and hes an intelligent player, so Im not worried at all.

Hfbsux

Dec 22, 2012
Hes a five tools player. Hes the same as Ylonen. Both are really highly skilled, like first round worthy. Ylonen is shy and doesnt have much confidence, Olofsson doesnt think offense enough. I dont know, if Danault can be a forty points player with his children sized tool box, I dont see how a guy like olofsson cant. Hes a NHL player for sure, just like DLR his skating and defensive play will make him at least a fourth liner, its just a matter of if his offense catches up. Thats something hes been working on but hasnt panned out really. Timra is also a pretty bad team offensively and hes been getting uneven minutes... some nights hes on the 2nd line, others hes the 4th line c. Bottomline is, I like his tools and hes an intelligent player, so Im not worried at all.

Im questioning his offense. You're comparing it to Danault's. Ive seen Danault a bunch of time in jr, i was living in Moncton when he got traded there. Their offense is not comparable. Granted the Q us way easier than the SHL but from the viewing itselves: Oloffson doesn't play with the intensity and quickness Danault did around the net. Their offensive skills are not comparable imo. But you didn't answered my question, did you actually see him play?

Also, I would consider offensive IQ/shot in a players tool kit before naming one a 5tool player.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Im questioning his offense. You're comparing it to Danault's. Ive seen Danault a bunch of time in jr, i was living in Moncton when he got traded there. Their offense is not comparable. Granted the Q us way easier than the SHL but from the viewing itselves: Oloffson doesn't play with the intensity and quickness Danault did around the net. Their offensive skills are not comparable imo. But you didn't answered my question, did you actually see him play?

Also, I would consider offensive IQ/shot in a players tool kit before naming one a 5tool player.
I'll ignore anyone who just asks if I watched a player play in which I just made a three hundred words description of a player... God thats annoying.

Hfbsux

Dec 22, 2012
I'll ignore anyone who just asks if I watched a player play in which I just made a three hundred words description of a player... God thats annoying.

If you tell me you're not worried about his offense and you've seen him play, i'll do the same and ignore your opinion on our prospects. So annoying :laugh:

Edit: Because i highly doubt you did seriously. I could have easily write your 300 words by reading other comments and stat watching.

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016

You know Danault is 6”01 and ~200 lbs, right? At 26, he’s also on pace for a 55 points season with no PP time, facing the best line every game AND having a top 20 possession/corsi stats.

People called Kadri a 1B with similar stats but PP1 time and not as much defensive responsibility, but Danault is a 3C, right?

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
You know Danault is 6”01 and ~200 lbs, right? At 26, he’s also on pace for a 55 points season with no PP time, facing the best line every game AND having a top 20 possession/corsi stats.

People called Kadri a 1B with similar stats but PP1 time and not as much defensive responsibility, but Danault is a 3C, right?
Danault is carried by his wingers, put him with two bad wingers and see how he produces. He just doesn't have the skillset to be a 2C, and I don't think Kadri is a 1B at all.

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
Danault is carried by his wingers, put him with two bad wingers and see how he produces. He just doesn't have the skillset to be a 2C, and I don't think Kadri is a 1B at all.

He’s carried by who? Gallagher? Tatar? Drouin? Byron?

He’s certainly playing like an elite #2 C at the moment. Every team other than Pittsburgh and Toronto would be happy with that kind of production/play with their #2 C

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad