Prospect Info: Jacob Olofsson

Status
Not open for further replies.

Le Barron de HF

Justin make me proud
Mar 12, 2008
Shawinigan
Coach of U20 team is still a fan of his and compares him to where Isaac Lundestrom was last year. Doesn't project him as a guy who'll get over 50 pts but the kind of center who makes his wingers better.

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
Coach of U20 team is still a fan of his and compares him to where Isaac Lundestrom was last year. Doesn't project him as a guy who'll get over 50 pts but the kind of center who makes his wingers better.

he started out good last year points wise but then cooled right off. Hoping he can have a big leap in his development.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
When you take into account his raw skills, it's even more worrying.
This is something I can't understand. It's not like he's a dumb player either, he has good spacial awarness and he did make plays in his first year. He's a great skater, he has soft hands, a big body, his shot is not bad, etc.

Honestly I don't see what isn't working now.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
We'll see what happens in the SHL this year. I saw a good bit of last year and it wasn't pretty. Plus add that our picks from Sweden have been a bunch of nothing burgers, really hoping he doesn't bust when there were so many interesting names on the board. That said I'm hoping he can be a better DLR since he won't be rushed to the NHL at 19 and have a year burned off his ELC for no damn good reason.

Reactions: Acadien86

HOPE

Goal Caufield!
Jun 30, 2011
Montreal
This is something I can't understand. It's not like he's a dumb player either, he has good spacial awarness and he did make plays in his first year. He's a great skater, he has soft hands, a big body, his shot is not bad, etc.

Honestly I don't see what isn't working now.
I feel like it’s because he has no tempo in his game, he’s always gas pedal, on the forecheck, once he has possession, it’s like he can’t process in the Ozone!

habsfan92

Jun 5, 2005
winnipeg
Timmins specials-love them bottom 6 players. Great eye for marginal forwards. That being said, when I watch this guy, he seems to have less offense than JDLR, with is quite alarming.

Hfbsux

Dec 22, 2012
Timmins specials-love them bottom 6 players. Great eye for marginal forwards. That being said, when I watch this guy, he seems to have less offense than JDLR, with is quite alarming.

Actually it was Rockstrom, the Swedish scout who was pushing to pick him. He was so mad when we picked Ylonen and Romanov with our two early 2nd rounder. Oloffsson was ranked in the 1st round by a lot of people.

Reactions: montreal

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Actually it was Rockstrom, the Swedish scout who was pushing to pick him. He was so mad when we picked Ylonen and Romanov with our two early 2nd rounder. Oloffsson was ranked in the 1st round by a lot of people.
At some point this guy needs to be fired. He said the same thing about DLR if I recall, or maybe it was Vejdemo. Anytime Rockstrom likes a prospect, he loses like 10 points on my rating of him.

Hfbsux

Dec 22, 2012
At some point this guy needs to be fired. He said the same thing about DLR if I recall, or maybe it was Vejdemo. Anytime Rockstrom likes a prospect, he loses like 10 points on my rating of him.

Yeah I agree, I remember some of us were talking about this. Timmins actually mentionned that Rockstrom was ready to strangle him after passing on Oloffsson twice in the 2nd round.

Also found these:
"Timmins a mentionné que le recruteur du CH en Suède, Christer Rockstrom, ne pouvait pas croire qu’il soit encore disponible vers la fin du troisième tour."
Translation: "Timmins mentionned that the swedish scout, Christer Rockstrom, couldn't beleive that he (Vejdemo) was still available in the end of the 3rd round.

"C'est ce même Rockström qui a fait pression sur Timmins, à la fin du tout dernier repêchage, pour que le Canadien fasse une transaction et se dote d'un choix de septième ronde pour repêcher le défenseur Arvid Henrikson."
Translation: "It's the same Rockstrom who put some pressure on Timmins, at the very end of the draft, for the Habs to make a trade in order to get a 7th round pick and select the defenseman Arvid Henrikson".

Seems that he likes to put pressure on Timmins to draft players with low ceilings..

Reactions: montreal

Hostile Offer

Artist formerly known as Eagle Peninsula
Jun 17, 2017
Finland

He was there to get us Collberg too. Somehow this guy was apparently responsible for finding Lidström though.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Let's not rewrite history here. Olofssons production and play in the Allsvenskan as a draft eligible is some of the best for that league.

He has tools. He just has not been able to consistently use them in games. That's the knock and it's valid.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Yeah I agree, I remember some of us were talking about this. Timmins actually mentionned that Rockstrom was ready to strangle him after passing on Oloffsson twice in the 2nd round.

Also found these:
"Timmins a mentionné que le recruteur du CH en Suède, Christer Rockstrom, ne pouvait pas croire qu’il soit encore disponible vers la fin du troisième tour."
Translation: "Timmins mentionned that the swedish scout, Christer Rockstrom, couldn't beleive that he (Vejdemo) was still available in the end of the 3rd round.

"C'est ce même Rockström qui a fait pression sur Timmins, à la fin du tout dernier repêchage, pour que le Canadien fasse une transaction et se dote d'un choix de septième ronde pour repêcher le défenseur Arvid Henrikson."
Translation: "It's the same Rockstrom who put some pressure on Timmins, at the very end of the draft, for the Habs to make a trade in order to get a 7th round pick and select the defenseman Arvid Henrikson".

Seems that he likes to put pressure on Timmins to draft players with low ceilings..

very good find, but the problem is Timmins owns some of this as he should have fired the guy by now imo, since our track record in Sweden has been so poor.

Heino-Lindberg
Torp
Westin
Nystrom
Nygren
Colberg
DLR
Vejdemo
Henriksson
Olofsson
Norlinder

Engqvivst - undrafted fa
Johansson - undrafted fa

that's a f***ing brutal list over 17 drafts. Granted most were late round picks but to fail on all of them outside of the most recent ones. Collberg at least was traded for Vanek and Nygren wasn't a bad pick as I believe he would have played in the NHL if not for the concussion.

That said it makes you wonder what goes in talks with Timmins and MB when they discuss their previous drafts, assuming they do. How do they explain as the best thing they have to come out of one of the top hockey countries in the world in DLR, a guy I like more then most but a guy that never had more then 4th line upside or 3rd if you really liked him.

Now maybe Vejdemo can find a way to an NHL 4th line some day, I'm not a fan but he does have some interesting tools. I would be surprised if he ended up better then DLR, although his career could be cut short due to the heart condition. That leaves Olofsson who right now is coming off a worse D+1 season then DLR so it's not looking great there. Norlinder remains their big hope.

Let's not rewrite history here. Olofssons production and play in the Allsvenskan as a draft eligible is some of the best for that league.

He has tools. He just has not been able to consistently use them in games. That's the knock and it's valid.

DLR wasn't too far behind him, he had a .32 ppg to Olofsson's .49 but you also have to look at the teams, usage, TOI, etc.. I didn't see either at 17 but watched both in the SHL at 18, it's hard to explain how badly Olofsson fell apart as DLR looked a good bit better. The hope is now that he's back in the SHL on a much better team, that he can find a way to make things click.

Hfbsux

Dec 22, 2012
very good find, but the problem is Timmins owns some of this as he should have fired the guy by now imo, since our track record in Sweden has been so poor.

Heino-Lindberg
Torp
Westin
Nystrom
Nygren
Colberg
DLR
Vejdemo
Henriksson
Olofsson
Norlinder

Engqvivst - undrafted fa
Johansson - undrafted fa

that's a ****ing brutal list over 17 drafts. Granted most were late round picks but to fail on all of them outside of the most recent ones. Collberg at least was traded for Vanek and Nygren wasn't a bad pick as I believe he would have played in the NHL if not for the concussion.

That said it makes you wonder what goes in talks with Timmins and MB when they discuss their previous drafts, assuming they do. How do they explain as the best thing they have to come out of one of the top hockey countries in the world in DLR, a guy I like more then most but a guy that never had more then 4th line upside or 3rd if you really liked him.

Now maybe Vejdemo can find a way to an NHL 4th line some day, I'm not a fan but he does have some interesting tools. I would be surprised if he ended up better then DLR, although his career could be cut short due to the heart condition. That leaves Olofsson who right now is coming off a worse D+1 season then DLR so it's not looking great there. Norlinder remains their big hope.

I'm wondering if he's the one taking care of organizing the European Combine? We started that process last year, but he was still at the draft table pushing for Oloffsson. Pretty sure those combine are in Sweden and it has been a success so far (kinda early to say). He might get credit for this, assuming he's behind it.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
I'm wondering if he's the one taking care of organizing the European Combine? We started that process last year, but he was still at the draft table pushing for Oloffsson. Pretty sure those combine are in Sweden and it has been a success so far (kinda early to say). He might get credit for this, assuming he's behind it.

they are in Sweden, but who knows who's idea it was. That said he's bound to hit on one sooner or later, so maybe Norlinder finally breaks the curse as you have to back to the '88 draft to find a Swedish player we picked that was better then a 4th rounder. That's a long, long time to have nothing to show for from one of the top hockey countries.

Reactions: Acadien86
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad