Prospect Info: [2018 - 35th] Jesse Ylönen (Liiga - Pelicans) On loan to Laval

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
How are you getting this, are you splitting a Telia account? Apparently you also need a Finnish proxy on top to not get geo-blocked, das crazy.
I used the proxy early in the season but ut doesnt work anymore, idk why. Theres also shift by shifts on yt.

But I havent caught a game since wjc.

G0bias

Oct 4, 2007
MTL
I used the proxy early in the season but ut doesnt work anymore, idk why. Theres also shift by shifts on yt.

But I havent caught a game since wjc.
Hmmm, so how far back does this impression of him "losing you" and not showing top-6 upside date from? The latest shift-to-shift of him on youtube, is from back in October.

Because everything seems to point to a progression from not only earlier this year but from last year too. Keeping in mind he's playing with third liners, is 8th in TOI, 6th in PP TOI, he's essentially generating 2nd line offence from a third line role despite a slow start.
And then there's the WJC where he outshined Heponiemi, Tolvanen and Kupari with worse linemates.

Last edited:

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Hmmm, so how far back does this impression of him "losing you" and no longer showing top-6 upside date from?
The latest shift-to-shift of him on youtube, atleast that I've found, is from October.

Because everything points to him progressing from not only earlier this year but from last year too. Keeping in mind he's playing with third liners, is 8th in TOI, 6th in PP TOI, he's essentially generating 2nd line offence from a third line role despite a slow start.
And then there's the WJC where he outshined Heponiemi, Tolvanen and Kupari with worse linemates.

Yes, there's a Shift by shift of his from early in the season (October I think?) and a Kaapo Kakko shift by shift where you can see a good bit of Ylonen, too. The WJC just solidified what I think really, I loved Ylonen, but I'm just not sure he has that upside anymore. I just went from being extremely high on him, thinking he could be a top line player type to now thinking he may be a 2nd liner. Outshine those doesn't do much, they will all struggle to establish themselves in the NHL, IMO.

G0bias

Oct 4, 2007
MTL
Yes, there's a Shift by shift of his from early in the season (October I think?) and a Kaapo Kakko shift by shift where you can see a good bit of Ylonen, too.
Since you said league play was mostly the reason and if I'm understanding correctly the number of viewings you said you've had, your stance on him has done a complete 180 based on a handful of games, from like 4 months ago? Mamma mia.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Since you said league play was mostly the reason and if I'm understanding correctly the number of viewings you said you've had, your stance on him has done a complete 180 based on a handful of games, from like 4 months ago? Mamma mia.
Not a 180, per say, I still like his skills and think he could be a 25 goals guy type, but I now question his vision on ice.

Goldenhands

Slaf_The_Great
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2016
Yes, there's a Shift by shift of his from early in the season (October I think?) and a Kaapo Kakko shift by shift where you can see a good bit of Ylonen, too. The WJC just solidified what I think really, I loved Ylonen, but I'm just not sure he has that upside anymore. I just went from being extremely high on him, thinking he could be a top line player type to now thinking he may be a 2nd liner. Outshine those doesn't do much, they will all struggle to establish themselves in the NHL, IMO.
It doesnt make sense at all lol, Ylonen's passing and vision were quite good at the WJC, not sure where you are going here, thats a kid who is progressing very well for a first Liga season, we could see how good he was at the WJC and since that tournament he has been racking up points with regularity... TBH I think you are totally clueless here and I dont really get what you are trying to do, just like you had something to prove for whatever reason...

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
It doesnt make sense at all lol, Ylonen's passing and vision were quite good at the WJC, not sure where you are going here, thats a kid who is progressing very well for a first Liga season, we could see how good he was at the WJC and since that tournament he has been racking up points with regularity... TBH I think you are totally clueless here and I dont really get what you are trying to do, just like you had something to prove for whatever reason...
You have to project everything from a NHL point of view.

I have absolutely nothing to prove, in fact, on the contrary. I had Ylonen ranked 22 last year in the draft, its acknowledging that I may have made a mistake.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
I've not seen as much of Ylonen as I'd like but I've certainly seen some things that make me question his IQ but his speed help cover things. After the big 3 he's certainly right there with Romanov, Primeau, Fleury and others as top 4-5-6-7 (in no order) prospects for us.

Reactions: Mrb1p

Goldenhands

Slaf_The_Great
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2016
You have to project everything from a NHL point of view.

I have absolutely nothing to prove, in fact, on the contrary. I had Ylonen ranked 22 last year in the draft, its acknowledging that I may have made a mistake.

You didnt.

Last edited:

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
Not a 180, per say, I still like his skills and think he could be a 25 goals guy type, but I now question his vision on ice.

Yeah it's interesting to make the distinction between 'passing' and 'vision'. I think he's an excellent passer but he misses certain plays I think. I did notice that in one of the games after the Kazakh game. He looked brilliant against the Kazakhs but it was the Kazakhs. I couldn't really tell if it was him or his teammates when things weren't clicking. Could've been a bit of both.

He is also on a 3rd line in Liiga if I'm not mistaken. Would be interesting how he plays with top end skill. It could bring out more of him. He's not quite a play driver. I'm with you for the most part but I still think if you put him with like Kotka and Gallagher he could be very very good.

The production of late though is pretty encouraging especially if again he's on a 3rd line just like he was in the WJCs.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Yeah it's interesting to make the distinction between 'passing' and 'vision'. I think he's an excellent passer but he misses certain plays I think. I did notice that in one of the games after the Kazakh game. He looked brilliant against the Kazakhs but it was the Kazakhs. I couldn't really tell if it was him or his teammates when things weren't clicking. Could've been a bit of both.

He is also on a 3rd line in Liiga if I'm not mistaken. Would be interesting how he plays with top end skill. It could bring out more of him. He's not quite a play driver. I'm with you for the most part but I still think if you put him with like Kotka and Gallagher he could be very very good.

The production of late though is pretty encouraging especially if again he's on a 3rd line just like he was in the WJCs.

I wouldn't say he's an excellent passer, guys like Scherbak, Reway, Drouin, are who I think of as excellent passers.

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
I wouldn't say he's an excellent passer, guys like Scherbak, Reway, Drouin, are who I think of as excellent passers.

The games I saw him he made some pretty heady passes. Seen him make some real nice cross ice passes in transition right on the tape. Semantics I guess.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
The games I saw him he made some pretty heady passes. Seen him make some real nice cross ice passes in transition right on the tape. Semantics I guess.

his speed and shot are what stick out the most imo, he can make some nice passes but I wouldn't call him an excellent passer. Clearly he has good offensive skills so there's a lot to like about his upside.

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
his speed and shot are what stick out the most imo, he can make some nice passes but I wouldn't call him an excellent passer. Clearly he has good offensive skills so there's a lot to like about his upside.

I think the passing isn't far behind the shot really. I've only seen a few WJC games so take it with a grain of salt but he made a lot of great dishes.

Reactions: Goldenhands

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
I think the passing isn't far behind the shot really. I've only seen a few WJC games so take it with a grain of salt but he made a lot of great dishes.

I didn't get to see him as much as I had hoped at the WJC's but did get to see a few games this year in Nov with Team Finland and 1 liiga game. Certainly think his shot is much better then his passing as his shot is impressive.

Goldenhands

Slaf_The_Great
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2016
Another great pass from Drouin just there... Ylonen wont make that kind of low % passes guys like Drouin and Scherbak are doing, thats for sure...

Goldenhands

Slaf_The_Great
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2016
Do you think Ylonen is a better passer then Drouin?
I think he has pretty accurate passing skills, he just doesnt try those low % passes Drouin does and Scherbak or Reway used to... Its nice when it works, but not so much when it doesnt as you could see on Tampa's second goal...

Hfbsux

Dec 22, 2012

Showing good IQ and vision here. Skills that he is not really known for on this board (people talk mostly about his shot and speed). Good looking prospect for sure!

I like how he shield the forward who was supposed to take the defenseman after making that pass.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad