Prospect Info: [2018 - 35th] Jesse Ylönen (Liiga - Pelicans) On loan to Laval

Status
Not open for further replies.

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
The analysts said during intermission that Ylönen is very respected in the locker room because of how hard he works and how relentless he is. He's also a pretty fast skater. Fast skating + good shot + willing to play gritty are all really good attributes to have.

He's a pretty safe bet to make it. With his style of game he can play further down the lineup, but with his speed and skill level he can compliment anyone. He just has to get stronger which will happen naturally to some extent anyways.

Reactions: Redux91

HOPE

Goal Caufield!
Jun 30, 2011
Montreal
Showing good IQ and vision here. Skills that he is not really known for on this board (people talk mostly about his shot and speed). Good looking prospect for sure!

I like how he shield the forward who was supposed to take the defenseman after making that pass.

I have been saying ylonen has much more skills than he shows... as soon as he gets the puck he makes a little quick pass, this kid could become a puck possession beast who circles around and create space a la barzal!

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
I have been saying ylonen has much more skills than he shows... as soon as he gets the puck he makes a little quick pass, this kid could become a puck possession beast who circles around and create space a la barzal!
Yep
That was my hope in the draft, thats why I had him top 25... but hes shown he probably will never get to that level. Good player anyway.

Hfbsux

Dec 22, 2012
Yep
That was my hope in the draft, thats why I had him top 25... but hes shown he probably will never get to that level. Good player anyway.

You were hoping Ylonen would become a Barzal on draft day? I mean, I wanted Ylonen with our 1st 2nd rounder (i have commented this on his prospect board thread prior to the draft) but I knew damn well he wasn't that kind of player. I actually liked his combativeness and his quick feet but never saw him as a possession kind of guy. Your expectation might be a little too high for a top 25 pick. Not all of them have the potential to be a Barzal. He was not supposed to drop that low on draft day, thanks to Boston and their terrible 1st round.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
You were hoping Ylonen would become a Barzal on draft day? I mean, I wanted Ylonen with our 1st 2nd rounder (i have commented this on his prospect board thread prior to the draft) but I knew damn well he wasn't that kind of player. I actually liked his combativeness and his quick feet but never saw him as a possession kind of guy. Your expectation might be a little too high for a top 25 pick. Not all of them have the potential to be a Barzal. He was not supposed to drop that low on draft day, thanks to Boston and their terrible 1st round.
I saw skills that only a few possess, Id gamble on that any day. I had hopes hed be a 60 points producer but I doubt it now.

Kotkaniemi15

Sep 18, 2018
Montreal
It's important to remember that development is not linear. He's having a solid season putting up .5 PPG in the Liiga. Hopefully, he'll spend another year in Finland improving and then come over to the big club.

Reactions: Redux91

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
He's certainly had a good season by the numbers, as he's got 10 more points then Ikonen had in 4 less games although for Ikonen he got off to a really bad start but was much better in the 2nd half. It will be very interesting to see how both Ylonen and Ikonen do next season, too bad I won't be able to see them stupid liiga :mad:

Dongstoppable

Oct 12, 2017
He's certainly had a good season by the numbers, as he's got 10 more points then Ikonen had in 4 less games although for Ikonen he got off to a really bad start but was much better in the 2nd half. It will be very interesting to see how both Ylonen and Ikonen do next season, too bad I won't be able to see them stupid liiga :mad:

What's different about the Liiga streaming service now? Geolocking or what?

Kobe Armstrong

Jul 26, 2011
Can't forget that Ylonen was better than players like Kupari, Kakko, and Tolvanen during the WJC.

Right now he has .5ppg in Liiga, which is exactly what Kotkaniemi put up last season. Best case scenario IMO is if we get him in Laval next year, which seems unlikely because he is currently signed through 2020.

Adriatic

Feb 27, 2004
As opposed to Suzuki something tells me this kid will be a really good nhler. Although Suzuki may have higher hockey iq, he may turn out great or may be a flop and never make it. Ylonen's game on the other hand seems much simpler and more straight forward. He style seems perfect for this new nhl built on speed. He moves his feet a lot, looks like a fast powerful skater. He maybe does not have a higher ceiling as Suzuki, but seems more a sure bet to make the nhl imo.

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
Wasn't Bergevin who inherited McDonagh

Yup...
He got emelin, beaulieu, Weber, Tinordi, Diaz, & pateryn... All of which regressed or failed to come close to their potential under the watch of his handpicked coaches

Bacchus1

Fill the net!
Sep 10, 2007
Montreal
We all hoped for Tinordi to blossom, but we never saw any of it, not even with London, TBH. Beaulieu was also over inflated here, but never made anyone drool. Some TSN boys went crazy about Emelin and used a few sexual attendres to describe him. And Pateryn was that prospect you kept on hearing about getting closer, without seeing any change ... I mean the guy we traded him for had a few good seasons and then left the league before he showed up.

I don’t think that any serious talent analyst ever ranked any of them too high, except Emilin.

My only hope for Tinordi was that he would beat up Chara, TBH. Beaulieu, I hoped for a top 4. Pateryn, I expected an AHLer/Journey man.

Diaz and Weber. There was no expectation like for Price, KK, Subban, McDonough, Koivu .... or ever Ryan, and nobody knows how he failed.

xNogaitx

Akuna Matata.
Sep 9, 2017
Edmonton
Oof. Looking back at those Andrew Cassels and Valeri Bure trade. They both hurt Montreal bad in terms of value. Cassels turned into a > PPG Centerman 2 years after being traded, and Bure into a PPG winger 2 years after as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad