2018-2019 Vacant Captain Choices?

deltamachine

Mar 30, 2013
Marleau cannot be seriously considered captain, he's got close to nothing left in the tank. Contrary to most views, i would give Matthews the C before signing his contract. This gives him ownership of the team and might give him more incentive to take a haircut on his contract. As for Tavares, he should be given an A. He's mature enough and pro enough to understand he can lead without the 'C'. In fact, I think Tavares could help the team unify by getting everyone to nominate Matthews now.

bert2z

Dank budz and death metal.
Jan 22, 2013
Michigan
Red Wings: Kronwall, Ericsson, or Helm would be good choices for them
I could could see Kronwall if he didn't have one foot in LTIR. Helm and Ericsson? **** No. If you're going the veteran and good leadership rout, Justin "Mr. Highschool hockey (Michigan thing) scored the NCAA championship goal for MSU" Abdelkader would be your answer.
We will just wait till Larkin is ready.

ESH

Jun 19, 2011
Would you rather have a young, inexperienced captain or a veteran captain? Now, Crosby, McDavid, and Landeskog were different cases due to their skill levels, but still, I guess age doesn't matter when you realize that Matthew Tkachuk is already an alternate captain at 20 years old, even if he's an enforcer. So, I'd rather have a more "mature" player rather than an enforcer/instigator as a captain and/or alternate IMO, but I can see why a team would do something like that.

I’d rather have whoever is seen as the best choice for captain. Someone who is seen as a solid contributor on the team not only at the moment, but for the foreseeable future.

Also Tkachuk is not an enforcer.

ScaredStreit

May 5, 2006
Tampa, FL
Lee's no enforcer at all, but I guess that we'll just have to wait and see how the Islanders do this year.

Only 4 people have scored more goals over the past 2 seasons than Lee has (Ovechkin, Laine, Kuch, Malkin). I think it's safe to say that regardless of how the Islanders perform that Lee is not a scrub or even an average player. If he was on a team with more limelight he'd get the credit he deserves.

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
Marleau cannot be seriously considered captain, he's got close to nothing left in the tank. Contrary to most views, i would give Matthews the C before signing his contract. This gives him ownership of the team and might give him more incentive to take a haircut on his contract. As for Tavares, he should be given an A. He's mature enough and pro enough to understand he can lead without the 'C'. In fact, I think Tavares could help the team unify by getting everyone to nominate Matthews now.
Doing the hulk hogan listen taunt , while entertaining, will rub some the wrong way.

Let Matthews have his fun now; he is young and will be captain later.

Tavares is conditioned to be a captain now.

deltamachine

Mar 30, 2013
Doing the hulk hogan listen taunt , while entertaining, will rub some the wrong way.

Let Matthews have his fun now; he is young and will be captain later.

Tavares is conditioned to be a captain now.

If there was no such thing as ego then yeah I agree JT is a fine choice. But this has always been Auston’s team. He’s 21 and an immense talent... do you risk stepping on his toes by handing the newcomer the captaincy? He’s got Marleau and JT and a 100 yrs of franchise history to guide him and set the example. As I said, you don’t need the official C to lead. I’m just saying it could be a tool to get Auston to buy in to the program wholeheartedly if he hasn’t already.

steveayres35

Apr 27, 2018
I’d rather have whoever is seen as the best choice for captain. Someone who is seen as a solid contributor on the team not only at the moment, but for the foreseeable future.

Also Tkachuk is not an enforcer.
My mistake, I meant grinder instead of enforcer

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad