2018-2019 Vacant Captain Choices?

steveayres35

Apr 27, 2018
Red Wings: Kronwall, Ericsson, or Helm would be good choices for them

Senators: Bobby Ryan or Mark Stone would be good choices for them

Rangers: Marc Staal, Zuccarello, Kreider, and Zibanejad would be good choices for them

Canucks: Edler or Tanev would be good choices for them

Golden Knights: Engelland, Pacioretty, Marchessault, or William Karlsson would be good choices for them

Maple Leafs: Tavares or Marleau would be good choices for them right now, but later on, Matthews will probably compete for the spot

Islanders: I'm surprised that they chose Anders Lee to be their captain. Boychuk or Ladd would've been better options for them IMO. Now, if someone can tell me why Lee deserves to be their captain, then I'd greatly appreciate it.

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
Larkin for the Red Wings

Marchessault for the Golden Knights, guaranteed imo

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013
Definitely Larkin for the Wings
Tavares or Matthews for the Leafs
Maybe Horvat for Vancouver?

member 105785

You can add Horvat to the Canucks list. as much as I would like to see captain tanev, I think edler is more likely

Reactions: iSophagus

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
Literally no one here would know aside from comments made to the media. Leafs have had 3 at least hinted at in Rielly, Matthews, and Tavares. However, the believe has always been they are waiting for Matthews to get off his ELC and once he signs long term they will give it to him.

No point in adding that pressure to him on his ELC. Leafs have learned from the past.

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
Islanders: I'm surprised that they chose Anders Lee to be their captain. Boychuk or Ladd would've been better options for them IMO. Now, if someone can tell me why Lee deserves to be their captain, then I'd greatly appreciate it.

1. Because Lee is one of the best and hardest working players on the team, everyone likes him, and he's an intelligent guy on and off the ice. He served as captain at Notre Dame.

2. Because Lee will play the vast majority of games as opposed to the other two neither of whom NYI fans believe are in the teams long term plans.

3. Because he's more comfortable in the captain's role than Josh Bailey - who was the only other viable candidate. (They might have gone with 3 A's) Leddy is extremely reserved, and they don't want to put too much on Barzal. This NYI fan's guess is that Lee + Bailey are co-leaders, but Bailey does more of the behind the scenes stuff.

I guess fans around the league just don't know about Anders Lee. The only reason it surprised NYI fans that he was named was that he's an impending UFA, but negotiations are ongoing.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Red Wings: Kronwall, Ericsson, or Helm would be good choices for them

Senators: Bobby Ryan or Mark Stone would be good choices for them

Rangers: Marc Staal, Zuccarello, Kreider, and Zibanejad would be good choices for them

Canucks: Edler or Tanev would be good choices for them

Golden Knights: Engelland, Pacioretty, Marchessault, or William Karlsson would be good choices for them

Maple Leafs: Tavares or Marleau would be good choices for them right now, but later on, Matthews will probably compete for the spot

Why would Ladd be a better captain for the Islanders than Lee? It seems like you are just going with whatever vet first crosses your mind rather than who is the best fit for the responsibility.

pheasant

Nov 2, 2010
I thought Engelland would be the Golden Knights first captain. Hhe was definitely their off-ice leader last season. as a Vegas local, he helped teammates get settled, spoke to the media, and gave a "vegas strong" speech at the first home game that brought the feels.

But if they didn't give him the "C" then, I don't think they're more likely to do it now. They brought in more leadership guys, have had some players establish themselves, and Engelland is less and less a long-term option.

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
Right now there is no other choice than Larkin for the C. But that won't be till next season if he continues to show his leadership to the team.

Nizdizzle

Offseason Is The Worst Season
Jul 7, 2007
Windsor, Ontario
twitter.com
I think Matthews is trying to make it very clear this year that this Leafs team is his. I think he is named captain immediately following signing a new contract this summer.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Detroit... probably going to be Larkin

Ottawa... Stone would be a good choice if he wasn't going to be gone at the deadline (same with Duchene). I feel like Pageau might be a good choice.

Rangers... I can see Zibby

Canucks... likely Horvat IMO

Golden Knights... I always thought Engelland would be a good choice, but they haven't given it to him, so I am losing hope in that. Maybe Marchessault.

Maple Leafs... probably Tavares

Harvey Birdman

…Need some law books, with pictures this time…
Oct 21, 2008
Penguins Legal Office
I thought Engelland would be the Golden Knights first captain. Hhe was definitely their off-ice leader last season. as a Vegas local, he helped teammates get settled, spoke to the media, and gave a "vegas strong" speech at the first home game that brought the feels.

But if they didn't give him the "C" then, I don't think they're more likely to do it now. They brought in more leadership guys, have had some players establish themselves, and Engelland is less and less a long-term option.
Right now, and Vegas is not my primary team, but I think they are waiting to see which of their young long term players (Marchessault or Theodore) take charge in the circle of leadership of the team. Also if Karlsson signs long term.

Reactions: iSophagus

IceColdBear

Apr 5, 2016
Leafs absolutely should not name a captain with the Matthews/Tavares dynamic going on. That’s just throwing red meat to the tabloids.

Tavares came to the Leafs because we have guys like Matthews.

I'm not sure what dynamic you're referring to. Dynamic offense is the only thing I can think of.

Love

Feb 29, 2012
Matthews should be captain of the Leafs IMO.

I'd be happy if the Canucks named Horvat captain. If for some reason they don't want Horvat as captain or just want to wait on it, then don't give anyone the C right now.

steveayres35

Apr 27, 2018
Why would Ladd be a better captain for the Islanders than Lee? It seems like you are just going with whatever vet first crosses your mind rather than who is the best fit for the responsibility.
Would you rather have a young, inexperienced captain or a veteran captain? Now, Crosby, McDavid, and Landeskog were different cases due to their skill levels, but still, I guess age doesn't matter when you realize that Matthew Tkachuk is already an alternate captain at 20 years old, even if he's an enforcer. So, I'd rather have a more "mature" player rather than an enforcer/instigator as a captain and/or alternate IMO, but I can see why a team would do something like that.

sebsisles

Apr 25, 2013
Long Island
Would you rather have a young, inexperienced captain or a veteran captain? Now, Crosby, McDavid, and Landeskog were different cases due to their skill levels, but still, I guess age doesn't matter when you realize that Matthew Tkachuk is already an alternate captain at 20 years old, even if he's an enforcer. So, I'd rather have a more "mature" player rather than an enforcer/instigator as a captain and/or alternate IMO, but I can see why a team would do something like that.

huh? Lee is 28 years old and scored 40 goals last year, I am not sure if im reading this right but are you saying Lee is a enforcer/instigator?

steveayres35

Apr 27, 2018
huh? Lee is 28 years old and scored 40 goals last year, I am not sure if im reading this right but are you saying Lee is a enforcer/instigator?
Lee's no enforcer at all, but I guess that we'll just have to wait and see how the Islanders do this year.

Leafs87

Mr. Steal Your Job
Aug 10, 2010
Toronto
Edler would be a great choice seeing as he’s a UFA at the end of the year

Marleau for leafs captain? It’s Matthews Tavares with a slight chance on Rielly(my personal choice but I guess not the most popular choice)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad