Speculation: 2018-2019 Trade rumors thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
My guess is that he doesn't like wasting money more. BM told him RC was the guy for the job. The team has shown some growth the last 4 games or so. I'm sure the injuries buys BM and RC a bit of slack as well. There is also the idea that RC is going to join the front office. Do you fire a guy to rehire him in an administrative role?
You just promote him now, if that’s what they’re dead set on.

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
I actually have a lot of respect for Randy Carlyle but the idea of him working in the front office is not something I want

Reactions: DuckRogers10

ADHB

Sponsor
Apr 9, 2012
It’s probably just a token job with a title so that he is connected to the organization. Something like consultant or special assistant, and maybe he does some scouting or is someone the front office calls when they’re looking for an opinion or something, and so he can still come to games if he wants. There’s no way he’s going to be taking any important position like assistant GM or head of scouting or anything like that. It’s probably going to be similar to whatever Bill Stoneman has with the Angels.

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
Why? He's well respected and obviously knows the game. I agree his time coaching should be done especially with BM who is horrible as gm but id like his presence around the team in some capacity
It's a fair opinion to have. I personally just want as much change as possible. I'd prefer they just clean house.

It's nothing personal against RC or his abilities, but I just want different people overseeing this team

Masch78

Oct 5, 2017
Why? He's well respected and obviously knows the game. I agree his time coaching should be done especially with BM who is horrible as gm but id like his presence around the team in some capacity

BM is not horrible as a GM. Look around the league. He is a very solid GM. I agree on Randy.

Exit Dose

Jul 2, 2011
Georgia
The only scenario in which I want Murray gone is if he just can't show the awareness that Carlyle is part of the problem. Murray is just being stubborn at this point.

Masch78

Oct 5, 2017
He never makes the necessary signings or trades to put this team over the top. There is always a major hole he neglects Ok horrible might be wrong but he's not a top gm

Tell me one team that has no major hole without one or more top 5 picks? Every team has it's hole. Top GM? I remember Holland going from one of the best GM to horrible quite quickly. A lot has to do with progression of certain playes. The Ducks lacked a high end 2nd line center - Bob went after Kesler. The Ducks lacked a top 6 forward, they traded for Henrique. They needed a winger for Getzy and traded for Eaves. They looked for a partner for Cam and traded for Despres.

Bob did tons of other moves.

I don't know what you expect. One major trade every season? Sure, because every team does that. Trades became much more difficult lately. Leaves us to free agent signings. When you complain about Kesler or Eaves, this is exactely what you get with top free agents. Bob is considered as a active GM by the media and he is trying to do adjustments all the time. We face a difficult situation right now. Lacking the performance of Kesler and Perry to justify their contracts. If they would be closer to their pricetag the Ducks would not have a problem up front.

Then look at the extensions, the front office did quite well here.

And finally, we all don't know where the internal budget stands. If the estimations are right we are one superstar contract short to teams spending on the top.

Reactions: Exit Dose

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
Tell me one team that has no major hole without one or more top 5 picks? Every team has it's hole. Top GM? I remember Holland going from one of the best GM to horrible quite quickly. A lot has to do with progression of certain playes. The Ducks lacked a high end 2nd line center - Bob went after Kesler. The Ducks lacked a top 6 forward, they traded for Henrique. They needed a winger for Getzy and traded for Eaves. They looked for a partner for Cam and traded for Despres.

Bob did tons of other moves.

I don't know what you expect. One major trade every season? Sure, because every team does that. Trades became much more difficult lately. Leaves us to free agent signings. When you complain about Kesler or Eaves, this is exactely what you get with top free agents. Bob is considered as a active GM by the media and he is trying to do adjustments all the time. We face a difficult situation right now. Lacking the performance of Kesler and Perry to justify their contracts. If they would be closer to their pricetag the Ducks would not have a problem up front.

Then look at the extensions, the front office did quite well here.

And finally, we all don't know where the internal budget stands. If the estimations are right we are one superstar contract short to teams spending on the top.
Maybe if he didn’t give Kesler and Eaves those contracts the Ducks also wouldn’t have a problem up front.

You make valid points but seem to give Bob the benefit of the doubt on every single thing he has done

Bob absolutely deserves criticism for his recent infatuation with old players getting retirement contracts. It has set us back a couple years. I know you will come back with “every GM does this”, but no, not every GM does it to the degree Bob has the last 5 years. He deserves credit for the RFa signings and keeping the farm in good shape always

He either will learn his lesson on the old player thing or he will lose his job because of it. I can tell you this for sure: the Samueli’s are sick and tired of paying money to guys that can’t get on the ice. I know someone close to ownership and he has told me just that.

Last edited:

Exit Dose

Jul 2, 2011
Georgia
Maybe if he didn’t give Kesler and Eaves those contracts the Ducks also wouldn’t have a problem up front.

You make valid points but seem to give Bob the benefit of the doubt on every single thing he has done

Bob absolutely deserves criticism for his recent infatuation with old players getting retirement contracts. It has set us back a couple years. I know you will come back with “every GM does this”, but no, not every GM does it to the degree Bob has the last 5 years. He deserves credit for the RFa signings and keeping the farm in good shape always

He either will learn his lesson on the old player thing or he will lose his job because of it. I can tell you this for sure: the Samueli’s are sick and tired of paying money to guys that can’t get on the ice. I know someone close to ownership and he has told me just that.
There is nothing wrong with him giving Kesler that contract. That is the price that you have to pay to get and retain good players. They have leverage in negotiations, too.

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
There is nothing wrong with him giving Kesler that contract. That is the price that you have to pay to get and retain good players. They have leverage in negotiations, too.
Wow I could not disagree more.

To me, this is a scary line of thinking, getting held hostage by your aging players

Reactions: DuckRogers10

Exit Dose

Jul 2, 2011
Georgia
Wow I could not disagree more.

To me, this is a scary line of thinking, getting held hostage by your aging players
Getting held hostage by a lack of center depth that spans multiple seasons is worse. He earned that contract, and while you can easily guess that he wasn't going to play that way over the entirety of it, how long that would be was up in the air. That we would automatically be able to replace his loss isn't a rational assumption.

The contract that Eaves got was a different story, since his injury history was easily the most consistent thing about his career.

Aug 11, 2011
Am Yisrael Chai
Getting held hostage by a lack of center depth that spans multiple seasons is worse. He earned that contract, and while you can easily guess that he wasn't going to play that way over the entirety of it, how long that would be was up in the air. That we would automatically be able to replace his loss isn't a rational assumption.

The contract that Eaves got was a different story, since his injury history was easily the most consistent thing about his career.
Took years to find an actual 2C. GMs are always desperate for high end center depth and they will pay to keep it. We had nothing in the pipeline and probably still don't despite being an excellent drafting team. So yes AD, even though you don't want to hear it, every GM gives out Kesler-type contracts for good reason.

Masch78

Oct 5, 2017

I don't say Bob is free of failures. He made mistakes like every other GM in the league. I just would not call him a bad GM because he is a very good fit for a budget team like the Ducks.

dracom

Dec 22, 2015
Vancouver, WA
I don't say Bob is free of failures. He made mistakes like every other GM in the league. I just would not call him a bad GM because he is a very good fit for a budget team like the Ducks.
Eh,giving out contracts to guys like Bieksa and Eaves would suggest differently. The best thing Murray does is sign RFAs to cheap and long term deals. His ufa extensions are a big issue for a budget team.

Masch78

Oct 5, 2017
Eh,giving out contracts to guys like Bieksa and Eaves would suggest differently. The best thing Murray does is sign RFAs to cheap and long term deals. His ufa extensions are a big issue for a budget team.

Eaves was a gamble and to be honest, if Eaves would not have his questionmarks he would sit on a 5m+ contract. And while the extension of Bieksa was not so great it was just a 2y deal. Unfortunately the Ducks - like some other teams - are not the preferred destination for the high end UFA. Either they tend to play at home or at tax free states. In the end of the day you have to work within your opportunities. High end UFA are ones like Kovalchuck. Would you have done this? Marleau dto. Those are also risky moves.

mightyquack

eggplant and jade or bust
Apr 28, 2010
Eaves was a gamble and to be honest, if Eaves would not have his questionmarks he would sit on a 5m+ contract. And while the extension of Bieksa was not so great it was just a 2y deal. Unfortunately the Ducks - like some other teams - are not the preferred destination for the high end UFA. Either they tend to play at home or at tax free states. In the end of the day you have to work within your opportunities. High end UFA are ones like Kovalchuck. Would you have done this? Marleau dto. Those are also risky moves.
That 'only' 2 year deal caused Anaheim to have to protect him in the expansion draft because BM decided to give him a NMC despite knowing an expansion draft in the near future was very likely which meant Anaheim lost an asset for no reason. And saying Eaves would get a 5m+ contract without question marks doesn't justify the Eaves contract - it wasn't good at the time, and it's certainly not good now. Teams also making bad UFA decisions isn't a defense for some of BM's bad moves either.

For a GM who is apparently good for a budget team - he's done a few bad moves in recent times that have hamstrug the team a fair amount. I won't say he's a bad GM as over the course of his time in Anaheim he's done more good than bad - however I don't think he's been good for the last couple of years for Anaheim and certainly wouldn't mind Anaheim cleaning house.

Reactions: Paul4587 and dracom
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad