Speculation: 5/22/19 Sharks Roster Discussion 2019-2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

tiburon12

Jul 18, 2009
Since I got last post'd in part II, copying my discussion point here

Heard on HC12 from Burke that GMs expect 70-72 games played at full effort from competing teams (meaning they accept 10 or so games where the team is tired or having an off night).
Makes me think how many games this year the team has "taken off"

Sysreq

Apr 9, 2015
Since I got last post'd in part II, copying my discussion point here

Heard on HC12 from Burke that GMs expect 70-72 games played at full effort from competing teams (meaning they accept 10 or so games where the team is tired or having an off night).
Makes me think how many games this year the team has "taken off"

I’m not surprised. Think about it, it’s an 82 game season, there is no way everyone is going to be all in every night. Think about your job, do you give 100% every single day? I know I don’t. There are definitely days where I come in with a case of the f***its.

Reactions: NWSharkie

NWSharkie

Nov 4, 2018
PNW
I’m not surprised. Think about it, it’s an 82 game season, there is no way everyone is going to be all in every night. Think about your job, do you give 100% every single day? I know I don’t. There are definitely days where I come in with a case of the ****its.
Same, and I don't have nearly the travel that an NHL team does.

sharski

Jun 4, 2012
I’m not surprised. Think about it, it’s an 82 game season, there is no way everyone is going to be all in every night. Think about your job, do you give 100% every single day? I know I don’t. There are definitely days where I come in with a case of the ****its.
PDB: "Let's start with PP1."
Pavs: "I think Burnsie can speak to that."
Burns: "Sorry, I was multitasking. Can you repeat that?"
PDB: "We were providing statuses. I can see from the burn down chart that velocity has increased since the start of the week. Can you provide some color on how PP1 is doing?"
Burns: "Sure. Overall status is green as we continue to leverage assistance from PP2 with Pickles being reassigned to PP1 through the end of the sprint. No blockers."
PDB: "Sounds good. Okay if there are no other topics anyone wants to discuss, it's 10:56 so I'll give everyone 4 minutes back. I'll be working from home in the afternoon but will be online and available through the usual means. Thanks everyone. Happy Friday."

jMoneyBrah

Jan 10, 2013
South Bay
PDB: "Let's start with PP1."
Pavs: "I think Burnsie can speak to that."
Burns: "Sorry, I was multitasking. Can you repeat that?"
PDB: "We were providing statuses. I can see from the burn down chart that velocity has increased since the start of the week. Can you provide some color on how PP1 is doing?"
Burns: "Sure. Overall status is green as we continue to leverage assistance from PP2 with Pickles being reassigned to PP1 through the end of the sprint. No blockers."
PDB: "Sounds good. Okay if there are no other topics anyone wants to discuss, it's 10:56 so I'll give everyone 4 minutes back. I'll be working from home in the afternoon but will be online and available through the usual means. Thanks everyone. Happy Friday."

I genuinely LOLed. Nicely done.

WTFetus

Marlov
Mar 12, 2009
San Francisco
Think about your job, do you give 100% every single day? I know I don’t. There are definitely days where I come in with a case of the ****its.

I'm not blaming teams from taking games off, but I'd say that's a pretty poor example. I'm not "on the job" <20 minutes a day, 82 times a year.

PattyLafontaine

Apr 5, 2006
As good as Doug Wilson is in player acquisition and late round drafting, I fear that his weakness is too much loyalty to players and coaches. Of course there is a delicate balance between being loyal and creating an uneasiness in the locker room, but I get the distinct impression that the players are too comfortable.

The other issue with loyalty is hanging on to players too long. This is an area where Wilson has been guilty on several occasions where he has rewarded players with bad contracts or not traded players near or at the apex of their value.

Melker Karlsson, Justin Braun, Logan Couture, Martin Jones, ME Vlassic to name a few.

I was all for a full reboot after 2014 and Wilson was successful in retooling, but there are still some pieces that do not work in today’s game.

The team needs more speed and it needs defensemen who can play under pressure and have more tenacity.

Wilson has also far past the sell-on date on coaches as well. McClellan got far too much time and it appears that PDB is getting too much of a leash as well.

McDeez

Feb 8, 2007
San Jose
At what point does Korenar get a look? Can't be any worse than Jones and Dell right now. We need a goalie who can actually take over games.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
At what point does Korenar get a look? Can't be any worse than Jones and Dell right now. We need a goalie who can actually take over games.

A .909 save percentage at the AHL level doesn't scream someone forcing his way into that discussion. I believe Dell gets moved this off-season for cap space and Korenar and Bibeau will compete for the backup spot but we don't have someone internally that deserves a look at this point.

DeadGhost

Ugistered Reger
Feb 15, 2010

Even if they trade Dell this summer, I'd imagine Bibeau is probably the backup next season and Korenar gets 45+ AHL starts. Which I guess I'm okay with. We just need to see if he can handle a starter's workload and we may have Jones' successor.

Lebanezer

I'unno? Coast Guard?
Jul 24, 2006
San Jose
Even if they trade Dell this summer, I'd imagine Bibeau is probably the backup next season and Korenar gets 45+ AHL starts. Which I guess I'm okay with. We just need to see if he can handle a starter's workload and we may have Jones' successor.
This is the most likely scenario if Dell is moved, which I think happens. Korenar needs that workload, he'll also have the benefit of playing behind a much more talented team with all the guys coming in from juniors. I'll be curious to see if Ferraro is signed after UMASS's season ends.

nerdybeard

Oct 1, 2011
Oakland, CA
In my mind these were my hopes going into the final 15 game stretch:
  • Jumbo would start to heat up before the playoffs - which is happening.
  • Go into the playoffs mostly healthy - pending Pavs' status & obvs EK65 we look OK. Losing Simek has been pretty rough though.
  • Icing an optimal lineup - this is up for debate. Haley is suboptimal for sure, and after last night I hope PDB sits him for Radil. Reeves' comments were on the dot.
  • Goaltending - well, this is a toss up for what Jones shows up in the playoffs, but he needs to treat the final stretch as playoffs, as seeing VGS in round 1 would be very very tough, even with Pavs and EK65 back.
  • Win the damn Pacific - which could still happen but those hopes are steep as this team likes to lallygag into the post season seemingly every year.
So overall, the sky isn't falling (yet) even thought last night was pretty painful to watch after the first shift. The pressure is truly on, but we have a lot of vet presence with lots of playoff experience so maybe the guys know that's the season that really matters.

DG93

Jun 29, 2010
San Jose
In my mind these were my hopes going into the final 15 game stretch:
  • Jumbo would start to heat up before the playoffs - which is happening.
  • Go into the playoffs mostly healthy - pending Pavs' status & obvs EK65 we look OK. Losing Simek has been pretty rough though.
  • Icing an optimal lineup - this is up for debate. Haley is suboptimal for sure, and after last night I hope PDB sits him for Radil. Reeves' comments were on the dot.
  • Goaltending - well, this is a toss up for what Jones shows up in the playoffs, but he needs to treat the final stretch as playoffs, as seeing VGS in round 1 would be very very tough, even with Pavs and EK65 back.
  • Win the damn Pacific - which could still happen but those hopes are steep as this team likes to lallygag into the post season seemingly every year.
So overall, the sky isn't falling (yet) even thought last night was pretty painful to watch after the first shift. The pressure is truly on, but we have a lot of vet presence with lots of playoff experience so maybe the guys know that's the season that really matters.

This is a pretty optimistic outlook on things. One of their top-4 D is out for the season, one of their 3 best players has missed weeks with a groin injury, and now one of their leading scorers and captain is out with a "little more than day-to-day" injury, which could mean anything. The part about "which Jones shows up" is pretty optimistic too considering he has been horrendous this year and could legitimately cost this otherwise very deep and good team a series. Otherwise, you are on point.

OffSydes

#tank2014/5
Aug 14, 2011
Maybe Nyquist will start to light fires. Heck, he's not even flicked a Bic yet. His playoff numbers suggest he is nowhere near being considered as the NHL version of "Mr October".

I have been pretty disappointed in Bill Nyquist so far.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
I have been pretty disappointed in Bill Nyquist so far.

Hertl and Nyquist have played 73 minutes together. In those 73 minutes, they’re 58.09% CF, 75% HDCF, and 83.33% GF despite 38.24% offensive zone faceoffs.

I would say Nyquist has looked just fine when he’s been put in a position to succeed.

Pavelski2112

Bold as Boognish
Dec 15, 2011
San Jose, California
Maybe Nyquist will start to light fires. Heck, he's not even flicked a Bic yet. His playoff numbers suggest he is nowhere near being considered as the NHL version of "Mr October".

Tbf, most of the playoff teams he was on with the Wings were hot garbage, sticking around only to keep the streak alive.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad