2018-2019 Roster Talk, Part 5

mja

Everything was beautiful, and nothing hurt
Jan 7, 2005
Lucy the Elephant's Belly
I doubt very much Fletcher (and Dave Scott) sit on this cap space. They are going to sign someone- probably from the B pool.

Scott wants a "GM with a bias for action." So, yup. When we miss out on the 'A' pool, Jordan Eberle come on down. Enjoy that bad contract.

I may be deluding myself, but I'm actually cautiously optimistic. The Flyers haven't faced this level of competition for people's sports dollars in decades. The Eagles are the Eagles, the Sixers have dynamic young players that if everything goes right will dominate the league for the next decade, and the Phils just inked Bryce Harper to a mega deal. The Flyers face irrelevancy if they don't make a big splash. They have cap space and Holmgren despises unspent cap space, but they're going to be motivated to go for a home run this off-season, something that really moves the needles and puts butts in the seats, not just an Eberle or whatever.

I think they hire Q and make him the highest paid coach in the league. I think they throw everything at getting one of EK or Panarin. If they beat everybody else on the $, they may just get one of them.

Reactions: Outlaw Samurai

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
Well, Pavelski is doubtful to leave SJS. And he's not a center; he's a RW.
Yeah, just your typical RW who takes 500 faceoffs per year. I agree he won’t leave SJ, but don’t imply that if he does he’s not an option at center.

Reactions: Fragmuffin

mja

Jan 7, 2005
Yeah, just your typical RW who takes 500 faceoffs per year. I agree he won’t leave SJ, but don’t imply that if he does he’s not an option at center.

Congratulations, this is up there among the dumbest things you’ve ever posted, which is quite the accomplishment.

Ghosts Beer

Feb 10, 2014
Congratulations, this is up there among the dumbest things you’ve ever posted, which is quite the accomplishment.
I bow to your obviously superior intellect. Pavelski has never played center, has never split time at Center when playing with Thornton, never went to full time C when Thornton got hurt, & could never be an option at Center if he chose to sign with another team.

mja

Jan 7, 2005
I bow to your obviously superior intellect. Pavelski has never played center, has never split time at Center when playing with Thornton, never went to full time C when Thornton got hurt, & could never be an option at Center if he chose to sign with another team.

We obviously don’t need a center if number of faceoffs taken is the criteria we’re using to judge whether or not a guy is an option at center. Do you see your blunder yet, or do I have to spell it out for you like I would to a child?

Ghosts Beer

Feb 10, 2014
We obviously don’t need a center if number of faceoffs taken is the criteria we’re using to judge whether or not a guy is an option at center. Do you see your blunder yet, or do I have to spell it out for you like I would to a child?
Are you contending that I am using faceoffs as the sole judge of whether someone has played & can play center, rather than just one supporting piece of information? If so, “do you see your blunder or do I have to spell it out for you like I would to a child?”

mja

Jan 7, 2005
Are you contending that I am using faceoffs as the sole judge of whether someone has played & can play center, rather than just one supporting piece of information? If so, “do you see your blunder or do I have to spell it out for you like I would to a child?”

Doubling down, because of course you are.

Yes, indeed, your initial post used faceoffs taken as the sole judge of whether someone could be an option at center, rather than just as one supporting piece of information.

Your second post using Pavelski's history of playing C isn't really any better given the context of this particular discussion, i.e. bringing in a C to move Giroux to the wing. Last I checked, Giroux has a history of playing C and has taken a lot of faceoffs!

The clear implication of Magua's post, was that Pavelski nearing 35 years of age is no longer suited to playing center, i.e. the same quandary we're having with Giroux! Whether that's true or not, I have no idea. I haven't watched Pavelski play enough to have a strong opinion. But that doesn't make your initial rebuttal any less moronic.

It was a stupid rebuttal, incredibly stupid given the particular context of the discussion. Just own it.

Reactions: Rebels57

Ghosts Beer

Feb 10, 2014
Doubling down, because of course you are.

Yes, indeed, your initial post used faceoffs taken as the sole judge of whether someone could be an option at center, rather than just as one supporting piece of information.

Your second post using Pavelski's history of playing C isn't really any better given the context of this particular discussion, i.e. bringing in a C to move Giroux to the wing. Last I checked, Giroux has a history of playing C and has taken a lot of faceoffs!

The clear implication of Magua's post, was that Pavelski nearing 35 years of age is no longer suited to playing center, i.e. the same quandary we're having with Giroux! Whether that's true or not, I have no idea. I haven't watched Pavelski play enough to have a strong opinion. But that doesn't make your initial rebuttal any less moronic.

It was a stupid rebuttal, incredibly stupid given the particular context of the discussion. Just own it.
Lmao. You’re coming across as quite the tool.

Ghosts Beer

Feb 10, 2014
I guess we're done here? Good.
You made your huge ordeal out of straw. I laughed at it & shook my head, as I’m sure anyone who can read also did. So, yes, I’d say this conversation has run its course.

daynus

Nov 25, 2002
Good Ole Saskatchewan
Visit site
I mean your goal is to win the Cup every year but it's not like we have to go all-in now or it's never going to happen. Our window should just be opening next year.

Even if Giroux and Voracek are getting older, their contributing window to a SC team isn't over by any means. The Red Wings won when Fedorov and Yzerman were 32 and 36. The Blackhawks won with Hossa (34), Sharp (31) and Handzus (35) playing key roles. It's not time to push the panic button.

Most teams that win the Cup aren't perfect. If Tampa wins this year they will be the exception not the rule. The Pens won the Cup in 16-17 without Letang; Hainsey and Dumoulin were their top pair. Washington won a Cup with Tom Wilson on the first line.

Frost has to play next year. Even if that means a 20-game hazing ritual in LHV for him to learn to dump the puck in and stand motionless at the blue line while awaiting an exit pass. Because if he doesn't play next year, expectations are even higher in 2020-21 and "you can't hope to win the Stanley Cup with 21-year-old Patrick and Frost."

Frost just makes the team better. He's going to be a better offensive player than Laughton from the get-go. He's going to be the best PP2 QB we've had in years, maybe decades. Relax and let it happen.
This point made a lot of sense. Mind you I had a good medi smoke lol

captainpaxil

Dec 2, 2008
I think youd have to mix the lines up a bit but where i see a need is the very top and veteran depth

G patrick panarin
Jvr cooter voracek
Lindblom frost tk
Laughton rubstov hartman

I frankly don't see anyone out there besides him improving our top 6. If we miss on the homerun id look to see if justin Williams wants to retire in Philly we also have the space to overpay him at 13th forward. The problem being id want a c but thats where the young upside is also yet moving laughton and or g back over is always an option.

The d is more about making the pieces fit than addition. Im pretty sure we'll have 8 guys under contract so some maneuvering will be done there.

If talbot works out we should be set in goal otherwise I'd look into Varlamov.

bb12

Aug 21, 2014
USA
I don’t see them going into next season with 2 center positions covered with unproven NHL players.
It's probably low end of ideal but you keep knight or verone as a 4th line center option. Frost is a lock next year I think. Plus if rub struggles Laughton is there too. Going into next year with 2 unproven centers isn't ideal but we have coverage. Plus a giroux who we can line shuffle to play center

There is definitely enough back up or coverage to make that happen

captainpaxil

Dec 2, 2008
I don’t see them going into next season with 2 center positions covered with unproven NHL players.
The likes of knight and varone aren't going anywhere so insurance is available. They're also the only 2 real rookies on the roster. Though alot of the talent still has much to prove i think that gives them an edge

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013

Yes, and I think Vorobyev is a more likely 4C option than Rubtsov, anyway.

He got called up twice in his 21 year old season, and it didn't work out. But that doesn't mean in 19-20 he can't be a solid NHL player.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Flyers 4, Islanders 1: 10 things we learned from a...

Sunday was an optimal time for Laughton to prove his usefulness, with the team down to 10 healthy forwards and in need of depth players to step up. Laughton did just that — he posted a team-high 67.76% score-adjusted Expected Goals For Percentage, ate up 18:31 of ice time, won nine of 12 faceoffs and scored the type of high-effort, forecheck-centric goal that every bottom-sixer dreams of building a career upon.

Laughton feels like a player who can be a part of the future of this team. Right now, he’s a perfectly capable third liner, but if the team continues to get deeper as more and more prospects prove themselves to be NHL-caliber, he’ll be an ideal fit on a high-end fourth line as well. No NHL team is going to be able to dress 12 high-end scoring forwards; even the powerhouse Tampa Bay Lightning dress Mathieu Josephs and Alex Killorns nightly. Laughton can be that kind of player for the Flyers as they move into the new era.

Reactions: Beef Invictus

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
I don't think he'll be benched, but he probably wouldn't play ahead of JVR and Lindblom.

If you get a superstar like Panarin, some guys are gonna lose ice time unless they really step up their game.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad