2018-2019 Roster Talk, Part 5

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
We saw guys like Hayes and Brassard be traded this year for less than 1st round picks. I’m inclined to make 3C Frost’s to lose. If he proves to be not ready and we have to make a move, we have more than enough assets to upgrade mid-season

frost may be this team's 2nd C.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Once again, serious contenders have been playing with guys like Sean Kuraly and Nick Bonino at 3C this year. Freaking out over giving one of the best prospects in hockey a 3C job is simply absurd. Winnipeg trades for a center every year, it's part of their game plan at this point.

Currently we're playing Scott Laughton at 3C with JVR and Hartman as wingers and our 4Cs have been Voro, Varone, Knight.

Next year if we add Frost and a top 6 winger and our third line is JVR-Frost-Konecny and Laughton and Hartman are on the fourth line, we're going to be better.

Nashville has the best defense in the NHL and they still traded for Granlund to bolster Center depth. Bostons issue all year has been being a 1 line team, hence the Coyle and Johansson acquisitons.

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
A lot of what you need from a 3C comes down to deployment as well. It's why I really don't like the term.

The Flyers are probably going to go heavier than most on top 6 Minutes and the Couturier line is going to get the toughest QoC. That means you have the ability to run a sheltered "3rd" line where offensive talent can be allowed to develop more smoothly. I would just call it a Middle 6 Scoring line.

It's a perfect situation for Frost if proper Wingers are on the roster.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Hakstol would be proud of how scared some in this are to trust that a young player can play in the bottom 6 next year. Especially a top prospect like Frost.

If Hextall was here and went out and got a player to potentially block a prospect, they'd be complaining.
But the flipside is, you go with Frost and he is not ready and then are in a bad position to add someone.

Patrick HAS had 3 bad months of playing in each of the last 2 years: Oct-Jan. What if Frost does the same? What if both Frost and Patrick do the same?

Personally, I DO want Frost to be given the #3C spot BUT add a winger. That pushes Hartman down to the 4th line. And if Frost or Patrick struggle, use Giroux back at C to relieve them, and push Frost to wing. So then no matter what, Frost plays in the top 9 unless he totally craps the bed.

But with Patrick and Frost as the #2 and #3 C, we absolutely are not going to go with Pimp as the #4C. No coach will go with that uch youth down the middle despite what anyone wants. So having a guy like Pageau for 1 year helps bridge the gap and gives us another safety net when injuries happen.

Go after the big fish in EK and Panarin. If we strike out, don't overpay guys like Duchene. Instead, trade for bargains as stopgaps.

Reactions: Outlaw Samurai

Bigkarl

Dec 27, 2017
Nashville has the best defense in the NHL and they still traded for Granlund to bolster Center depth. Bostons issue all year has been being a 1 line team, hence the Coyle and Johansson acquisitons.

I don’t think anyone is suggesting passing on a Granlund level talent if he were to be available at a price that makes sense.

It’s Pageau level players I would pass on

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
I don’t think anyone is suggesting passing on a Granlund level talent if he were to be available at a price that makes sense.

It’s Pageau level players I would pass on

Yeah hes not ideal. Just a name that could be available.

Reactions: Outlaw Samurai

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
frost may be this team's 2nd C.
He could. What if he jumps out of the gate like Barzal did? We just don't know.

He should get the chance to show what he can be. But we also need to have the proper plan in place in case he is not capable of a top 9 spot. Let Giroux be the safety net for the top 6 C spot, and grab a #3/#4 tweener for our 4th line as the safety net for the bottom 6.

Bigkarl

Dec 27, 2017
Yeah hes not ideal. Just a name that could be available.

I get both sides of the argument. A bottom 6 center on a 1 or 2 year deal isn’t hard to move if the kids do take the jobs, so I don’t think it’s realistic that they would be blocking young player.

Let’s just sign Panarin and have 2 first lines and 1 second line. Easy Peasy

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
But the flipside is, you go with Frost and he is not ready and then are in a bad position to add someone.

Patrick HAS had 3 bad months of playing in each of the last 2 years: Oct-Jan. What if Frost does the same? What if both Frost and Patrick do the same?

Personally, I DO want Frost to be given the #3C spot BUT add a winger. That pushes Hartman down to the 4th line. And if Frost or Patrick struggle, use Giroux back at C to relieve them, and push Frost to wing. So then no matter what, Frost plays in the top 9 unless he totally craps the bed.

But with Patrick and Frost as the #2 and #3 C, we absolutely are not going to go with Pimp as the #4C. No coach will go with that uch youth down the middle despite what anyone wants. So having a guy like Pageau for 1 year helps bridge the gap and gives us another safety net when injuries happen.

Go after the big fish in EK and Panarin. If we strike out, don't overpay guys like Duchene. Instead, trade for bargains as stopgaps.
What if Couturier plays poorly? Should we get a replacement 1C just in case? You could make the "what if" argument about any player.

Unless there's a real reason why you should expect that, it's not something to worry about and definitely not something you need to spend assets on. He's one of the best prospects in the league... there's no reason to think he can't handle this. Especially since he's not small, not slow, obviously ultra-skilled, and he's a very intelligent and defensively responsible player.

Frost isn't going to have to do anything crazy either. We have a loaded top 6 and 3C isn't exactly a vital position. Right now we have Laughton, who's ideally a 4th liner, playing there and we're managing just fine.

Jettany

Feb 21, 2018
He could. What if he jumps out of the gate like Barzal did? We just don't know.

He should get the chance to show what he can be. But we also need to have the proper plan in place in case he is not capable of a top 9 spot. Let Giroux be the safety net for the top 6 C spot, and grab a #3/#4 tweener for our 4th line as the safety net for the bottom 6.
Could still go G, coots, Patrick, Laughton down the middle. Frost moves to wing. Think panarin is really the move that needs to be made.

Outlaw Samurai

FROST WARNING in effect
Jun 24, 2018
Ottawa
What if Couturier plays poorly? Should we get a replacement 1C just in case? You could make the "what if" argument about any player.

Unless there's a real reason why you should expect that, it's not something to worry about and definitely not something you need to spend assets on. He's one of the best prospects in the league... there's no reason to think he can't handle this. Especially since he's not small, not slow, obviously ultra-skilled, and he's a very intelligent and defensively responsible player.

Frost isn't going to have to do anything crazy either. We have a loaded top 6 and 3C isn't exactly a vital position. Right now we have Laughton, who's ideally a 4th liner, playing there and we're managing just fine.

This is true. Like Jojo mentioned, it should be a sheltered role with our top 6.

Coots gets the tough matchups, it's not like we'll be throwing him in the traditional 3C shut down role.

baudib1

Apr 12, 2016
Las Vegas

Ya and if it's a problem the Flyers can also makes trades at the deadline. You know what's more likely? Frost will be better than any UFA center available next year.

Backstrom (will be re-signed, Washington won't trade to Philly anyway)
Granlund
Koivu
Schenn
Soderberg
Spooner
Eakin
Coyle
Gagner
Domi
Pageau
Strome
Tierney

A lot of these guys are going to be re-signed, and most of the others are over the hill or mediocre at best.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Ya and if it's a problem the Flyers can also makes trades at the deadline. You know what's more likely? Frost will be better than any UFA center available next year.

Backstrom (will be re-signed, Washington won't trade to Philly anyway)
Granlund
Koivu
Schenn
Soderberg
Spooner
Eakin
Coyle
Gagner
Domi
Pageau
Strome
Tierney

A lot of these guys are going to be re-signed, and most of the others are over the hill or mediocre at best.

Hey you're probably right. I'd rather have Frost and if we miss out on a free agent, trade for Hoffman.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia

Yes Frost is a top Prospect. And Patrick who is supposed to be better struggles for 3 months this year and for 3 months as a rookie.

me and you are in agreement to let Frost start as the #3C. I just want a tweener to be our 4th line C so when an injury occurs or if Frost stumbles, we have options.

We don't HAVE to sit and wait this year. Add a top 6 winger, add a #4C, add another top 4D and then all the sudden, we are not playoff tweeners, we can be actual contenders.

Could still go G, coots, Patrick, Laughton down the middle. Frost moves to wing. Think panarin is really the move that needs to be made.

As stated...I want both. I want to go hard after Panarin because he is a difference maker and would make us 3 lines deep for scoring and then a very good 4th line. But then I also want that #4C too to complete our lineup.

VladDrag

Feb 6, 2018

Not a big deal, but Patrick actually had a decent October this year. He had 9 points in his first 14 games. He started really struggling around mid/late November. Doesn't change the overall point of the post

Reactions: Tripod

FlyTimmo

pit <3
Jul 10, 2013
Right coaching staff hired and tweaks this summer and there is no reason at all we cant be a top team in the East next season. After Tampa, its wide open.

I don't have faith in getting a good coach or having correct moves made. Hopefully I'm proven wrong.

Stizzle

Feb 3, 2012
Hakstol would be proud of how scared some in this are to trust that a young player can play in the bottom 6 next year. Especially a top prospect like Frost.

If Hextall was here and went out and got a player to potentially block a prospect, they'd be complaining.

tenor.gif

prototypical4thliner

Jan 12, 2017
We can’t dismiss the fact that patrick was a more touted prospect who struggled for extended periods of time both years in the league. Only one can reasonably be attributed to a bad offseason due to surgery. Frost should be ready, he should be a lock and he should have the wingers around him to be successful. But adding a top winger like panarin (or a trade for Hoffman or whomever) gives more roster flexibility. Adding a bottom six center without much term via trade also gives us flexibility. Imagine a team with depth to have Laughton-xxx-Hartman as your forth line. THAT is a bona fide playoff team, and not just to sneak in, but to maybe do some damage.

Reactions: Tripod and baudib1

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Panarin has nothing to do with this debate.

This is strictly about whether or not it makes sense to trade for a bottom 6 center.

prototypical4thliner

Jan 12, 2017

Was actually going to say the aversion to adding talent to the roster via trade or free agency was pretty much a hallmark of hextall.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad